The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

DJninja

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The fact that politicians can and do change leadership for what ever reason is great. There is obviously politics of self interest involved but no doubt the liberals were in part responding to what the people want. Our society and government stay stable when the government changes. I wonder if we could have a separate vote for an individual to be prime minister irrespective of the dominant party. The truth and by extension good policy is universal. Notwithstanding differing ideologies.

I wonder if Tony can make a comeback...

DJninja

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I just found something to good not to share, from Greg Hunts wiki.

"Hunt was born in Melbourne and was educated at The Peninsula School. He graduated from Melbourne Law School with a Bachelor of Laws (First Class Honours), where he won a prize for a final year thesis he co-authored entitled A Tax to Make the Polluter Pay"

Carbon tax anyone?

stirk

Burner
If a CEO of a large corporation was not performing would the board let them continue in the leadership position?

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Carbon tax anyone?
Turnball's signed deal with Nationals explicitly makes the any carbon pricing off the table for the life on his term.

He gave up carbon pricing, gay marriage, protection of rivers and the environment and the emissions target.

stirk

Burner
Turnball's signed deal with Nationals explicitly makes the any carbon pricing off the table for the life on his term.

He gave up carbon pricing, gay marriage, protection of rivers and the environment and the emissions target.
And politicians are true to their word.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
What's the cock sucker Andrew Bolt said so far?

Loved listening to Ray Hadley carrying on today.... So good. Eat shit Singo
I love this, it's Bolt's second worst nightmare. A pro republic, flag changing, science believer that is a little bit liberal in his beliefs at the helm of his beloved Libs. Suffer in your jocks Bolt.

stirk

Burner
Were they core promises? Turnip's position on those things are a significant attribution to his potential popularity with the voters.
A masterful and patient player of the game Turnbull is.

I see this as a circular argument.

The recent "discovery" of the travel rorts has shown the spots of the leopard, the indignant reaction of the culprits revealed the soul, as black as heart of the kraken
The rort is as old as the kraken and all sides lap it up, been going on for as long as I can remember. It's just a distraction, when it gets out of hand, or when one party feels they need to pull a public tenderloin.

Ivan

Eats Squid
Politics is a game,

Whatever MT does in the next few weeks is just to consolidate his new position, restore calm and build trust with his colleagues.

As soon as he feels he has some capital to burn, he'll start nudging policy in the direction he'd prefer.

This is also the same for the Cabinet. Removal of conservatives (abbot's closest allies) from key cabinet positions will have an impact on policy in the future, but not right now.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I just found something to good not to share, from Greg Hunts wiki.

"Hunt was born in Melbourne and was educated at The Peninsula School. He graduated from Melbourne Law School with a Bachelor of Laws (First Class Honours), where he won a prize for a final year thesis he co-authored entitled A Tax to Make the Polluter Pay"

Carbon tax anyone?
That's already been bought up multiple times in public and he's seen it off. Not to pass judgement on climate change but I don't think holding people to papers they write as a young student is very fair. I know I wouldn't stand by a lot of beliefs and fairly polarised positions I held when I was a student (and I was mature age too!). The real world and professional life gives you more reality and education than university does - formal education is just a basis of understanding, professional life is where you become real.

Politics is a game,

Whatever MT does in the next few weeks is just to consolidate his new position, restore calm and build trust with his colleagues.

As soon as he feels he has some capital to burn, he'll start nudging policy in the direction he'd prefer.

This is also the same for the Cabinet. Removal of conservatives (abbot's closest allies) from key cabinet positions will have an impact on policy in the future, but not right now.
Yup.

PM me the deets
It's cool, save the cost of the biccies and postage and put it towards a beer next time we're in the same grid square instead.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Were they core promises? Turnip's position on those things are a significant attribution to his potential popularity with the voters.
It's pretty clear the people don't want a carbon tax, but they probably want someone who definately believes in climate change.

OTOH, we know that MT will support gay marriage when it comes about.

Tony Abbott had to do just 2 things in the last few months to have survived yesterday - fire Peta, and stand for a conscience vote on marriage. Both of those would have shown that he had taken on board criticisms, particularly the former

stirk

Burner
It's pretty clear the people don't want a carbon tax, but they probably want someone who definately believes in climate change.

Tony Abbott had to do just 2 things in the last few months to have survived yesterday - fire Peta, and stand for a conscience vote on marriage. Both of those would have shown that he had taken on board criticisms, particularly the former
:faint: is that all he had to do?

The dagger has been sharpened for years.

DJninja

Likes Bikes and Dirt

With regard to a climate tax. People want what they are told. Labour is as much to blame for their terrible approach as the libs are for destroying the tax. Firstly calling it a minng tax initially was a massive failure. What industry does the public think our economy relies on? There was probably a failure to engage the industry in there as well. Secondly the inital increase in price of carbon rich products and the proposed offsets were not sold properly. I could go on.

Even greg hunt. Our current environment minister thought it was a good idea before he became a politician. I havent looked for his thesis but from the title I assume he was in favour.