Street rides - improvisation/inspiration/interpretation

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Street riding often requires a creative approach to the urban environment. Show us some of your local adaptations.

This is my spin on "interactive art" along the local harbour.

IMG_20150929_005406.jpg

IMG_20150929_005143.jpg

I copped a bit of branch to the face in that last shot.

L3ONNOEL

Likes Dirt
I tried to ride in an old construction site once, it was a fun filled 30 seconds

12081361_901122733308209_82176845_n.jpg

Ah fuck you might have to turn your screen a bit

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
I just built up a street/park bike for the rainy days...2nd ride i decided to take it to a pump track.
There's these grassy step things there (it's just a regular xc trail with a pump track and jumps) to prevent erosion with nice concrete (or something) edges...
Dropped off one and landed right in a huge rut.... :frusty: Ground the bar end up pretty solidly but amazingly didn't get a flat or damage anything else too badly. Riding street/park on the bike i've never stacked it or anything. wtf, dirt, wtf... That's the bike before shit went tits up.

Attachments

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I just built up a street/park bike for the rainy days...2nd ride i decided to take it to a pump track.
There's these grassy step things there (it's just a regular xc trail with a pump track and jumps) to prevent erosion with nice concrete (or something) edges...
Dropped off one and landed right in a huge rut.... :frusty: Ground the bar end up pretty solidly but amazingly didn't get a flat or damage anything else too badly. Riding street/park on the bike i've never stacked it or anything. wtf, dirt, wtf... That's the bike before shit went tits up.
That bike is a bit sex. I've ran a few of the parts I see and been a happy boy. Those rims remain the only rim I've ever put a flat spot in though. Epic crumple on a rock.

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
That bike is a bit sex. I've ran a few of the parts I see and been a happy boy. Those rims remain the only rim I've ever put a flat spot in though. Epic crumple on a rock.
Cheers. I had the rims already as they came with the frame. Swapped dirt frames (which, meh, i like this one better) and had a few parts left over...so did what any normal person would do... The rims are on their 3rd build for me, I'm just not a hard enough rider to break them. Love the bars tho, was so mad I had damaged them. My riding buddy has a badly bruised heel atm, but there's some good spots around my area. Hoping to get out more in the evenings now.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Not likely. I wouldn't know where to start with that kind of riding. Would be cool to learn though.
That spot is very easy. I had a friend with me (he took the photo) who had never done anything similar before. He is slightly better than a rookie, but can't hop up a gutter properly (for skill level context). The process is simple:
- ride at wall with medium pace at approx 70° angle (in this case left to right)
- at wall chuck small wheelie that puts your front tyre on the wall.
- as you ride up the wall, start to turn the bike (very gently) the direction you will ride out. There is also a bit of weight transfer as well. Kind of pushing the bike into the wall and also the direction you want to go in an arc up along and down.
- lift front wheel as you descend. Try to come off the wall flat ish to the ground.

As you get smoother you can start bunny hoping onto the wall. It really is about going by feel, so just give it a crack. That wall has a generous back lean in it that inspired a bit of confidence!

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
That spot is very easy. I had a friend with me (he took the photo) who had never done anything similar before. He is slightly better than a rookie, but can't hop up a gutter properly (for skill level context). The process is simple:
- ride at wall with medium pace at approx 70° angle (in this case left to right)
- at wall chuck small wheelie that puts your front tyre on the wall.
- as you ride up the wall, start to turn the bike (very gently) the direction you will ride out. There is also a bit of weight transfer as well. Kind of pushing the bike into the wall and also the direction you want to go in an arc up along and down.
- lift front wheel as you descend. Try to come off the wall flat ish to the ground.

As you get smoother you can start bunny hoping onto the wall. It really is about going by feel, so just give it a crack. That wall has a generous back lean in it that inspired a bit of confidence!
and if you eat shit, the only people that will see you is the Tugboat captain and crew!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
and if you eat shit, the only people that will see you is the Tugboat captain and crew!
That's not entirely true...the apartments "behind" there have a commanding view. Too many times I have thought I was alone, only to discover people watching from the balcony. Usually laughing at me, rarely cheering.

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
There's these great stairs in Olympic Park that go up a hill so gradually get larger-from a 0 to decent sized 6. Good for me cuz i can only muster the courage for the 3 atm. But on the side of the 6 the terrain rolls off and is a fun little gap. Husband landed another bike length or more past the photo. It's a fun spot.

Damn you poodle. Not sure when it happened but i had less pressure in my back tyre than i thought, i cased the edge of a step going up and popped my tube. It put a bend in my rim. First damage in its third rebuild! Jinxed me dude. Was 10 mins after we arrived. :doh: I can't upload the photo tho.

Attachments

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I do love a good grassy roll over. I am no committal about singing rims though...sucks when it is the start of a ride!

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
Ok, so i generally suck at riding...so if this is obvious it's gone over my head...
When going off ledges or stairs, how late should i be picking up the nose ? Like just before the edge or kinda manual into it ? I tend to lift the nose way early and keep it high, mostly landing rear wheel first. Is this a bad habit i should kick right quick ? Is it better to jump off these things or just ride off ? Riding rigid.

stewyh

Likes Dirt
Moonee Ponds creek

Used to ride here all the time. Runs about 4kms between Albion st Brunswick West and Flemington Rd. Not too far from Kensington jumps either. No pics of me riding it unfortunately (not that I ever did much that was all that spectacular) but has heaps of cool features. Steps, drop-offs, scary bunnyhop challenges, fly-outs everywhere... and the odd dead pigeon and discarded bong.

Moved out of the area a couple of years back to the relatively boring suburban sprawl of Reservoir where I've yet to find much in the way of interesting street riding.

IMAG0128.jpg

stewyh

Likes Dirt
Ok, so i generally suck at riding...so if this is obvious it's gone over my head...
When going off ledges or stairs, how late should i be picking up the nose ? Like just before the edge or kinda manual into it ? I tend to lift the nose way early and keep it high, mostly landing rear wheel first. Is this a bad habit i should kick right quick ? Is it better to jump off these things or just ride off ? Riding rigid.
If you can hold the manual as you land that's a great skill to have, I can't do it. Sounds like you just need to shift your weight up & forwards a bit just before you leave the lip and level out. However that's gonna mean you'll bunny hop and gain height which you may not want if it's a big drop. Try a smaller, later lift? FWIW I usually just shift my weight back as the front wheel approaches the edge, and try to hold that level shape until landing... mainly because I'm shit at manualing. :wacko:

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
If you can hold the manual as you land that's a great skill to have, I can't do it. Sounds like you just need to shift your weight up & forwards a bit just before you leave the lip and level out. However that's gonna mean you'll bunny hop and gain height which you may not want if it's a big drop. Try a smaller, later lift? FWIW I usually just shift my weight back as the front wheel approaches the edge, and try to hold that level shape until landing... mainly because I'm shit at manualing. :wacko:
Is it the same for rigid vs suspension ? With sus forks i land pretty even, they're a lot heavier tho and harder to keep high. The drop i've been riding lately is a max of 22" (56cm?) and it tapers so i'm riding off a smaller drop than that, so not very big at all. The landing feels better on my joints when i touch down rear first. It's mostly the take off for me, I can't seem to be consistent in either taking off just at the edge or a good half wheel in front of it. Had some *very* sketchy landings yesterday while trying to work it out. :shocked: Sydney Olympic Park is full of stuff to ride, and no one seems to care. It's great.

stewyh

Likes Dirt
Well, definitely better rear wheel first than front. As for rigid vs sus I'm not sure. Maybe check out some Danny macaskill vids and see how he lands, he rides rigid and does some insane drops.

binner

Hath shat hymself
Finally

Ok , so the awesome local council have finally finished a perfect wall ride on a new bikeway underpass. All things going well and it fucking cooling down in brissie late this arvo I will go smash it out and get some pics....

The ribs are ready for some more punishment, first ride back since the big off on the knolly about 4 weeks ago....

At God speed......