Depression- need help?

Miguel75

Likes Dirt
Albeit a fleeting moment, but thanks. Such a strange feeling searching for those moments where you don't feel anxious / miserable. I was rock climbing yesterday, forgot about every thing. I need more of that :)
Climbing is my main form of decompression. Just focusing on one move at a time is rad. Was out at the Youies for an early morning session on Sat... Ajay, if you ever wanted to meet up for an am climb and pm bike ride (or vice versa) I'd be keen. I work shifts though am always keen to play.

Fruitbat

Likes Dirt
Rode to work today, even though it had just started sprinkling rain. Lo and behold I made it safely.
Part of my self help plan is to ride to work every day. Its only a couple of K's so it is too easy to say bugger it, its not really worth the effort. But all of the little things add up so a few K's every day will hopefully help to get my head back in the space where it wants to do lots of K's again....

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
Climbing is my main form of decompression. Just focusing on one move at a time is rad. Was out at the Youies for an early morning session on Sat... Ajay, if you ever wanted to meet up for an am climb and pm bike ride (or vice versa) I'd be keen. I work shifts though am always keen to play.
Love climbing youies. Though I really suck at slab. What crag do you prefer?

nzdans

Likes Dirt
Rode to work today, even though it had just started sprinkling rain. Lo and behold I made it safely.
Part of my self help plan is to ride to work every day. Its only a couple of K's so it is too easy to say bugger it, its not really worth the effort. But all of the little things add up so a few K's every day will hopefully help to get my head back in the space where it wants to do lots of K's again....
Good move! You won't just be benefiting from the kms, the therapy of a pedal before/after work is gold. You may even find at times that the short stint home will inspire you to go out for something more substantial. I so wish I could ride to work, jealous.

Miguel75

Likes Dirt
Love climbing youies. Though I really suck at slab. What crag do you prefer?
I love crack, slab, off-width & choss... :) I really like the NW outcrop, 1984 area & Gravel Pit tor, and Fig leaf slabs... Basically anywhere there's rock:) We hit Urinal wall first thing Sat morning for a little bit of shady slab and then moved onto Royalty wall before heading home around lunch. I reckon I'll be there again not this weekend, but next and maybe even this coming Monday. I usually climb alone due to my schedule so end up on self belay. Anything with easy access to the top works for me.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Good move! You won't just be benefiting from the kms, the therapy of a pedal before/after work is gold. You may even find at times that the short stint home will inspire you to go out for something more substantial. I so wish I could ride to work, jealous.
If you're not on a tight time frame, the post work wander on bike can work wonders for leaving all the shit of work behind and clearing your head. Just being in that time and space. I have recently convinced one of my friends of the value in this and he is reporting great results after not quite 2 months. He is also occasionally busting out a lunch time pedal as well.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
If you're not on a tight time frame, the post work wander on bike can work wonders for leaving all the shit of work behind and clearing your head. Just being in that time and space. I have recently convinced one of my friends of the value in this and he is reporting great results after not quite 2 months. He is also occasionally busting out a lunch time pedal as well.

Lunch time ride. There's justification for another bike

ajay

I love crack, slab, off-width & choss... :) I really like the NW outcrop, 1984 area & Gravel Pit tor, and Fig leaf slabs... Basically anywhere there's rock:) We hit Urinal wall first thing Sat morning for a little bit of shady slab and then moved onto Royalty wall before heading home around lunch. I reckon I'll be there again not this weekend, but next and maybe even this coming Monday. I usually climb alone due to my schedule so end up on self belay. Anything with easy access to the top works for me.
Nice, I've only climbed gravel pit tor, but it's pretty beyond me apart from the 2 Slabby starts/Crack finishers, perhaps around a 17 ish? Is there any bouldering out there?

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Nice, I've only climbed gravel pit tor, but it's pretty beyond me apart from the 2 Slabby starts/Crack finishers, perhaps around a 17 ish? Is there any bouldering out there?
Bouldering... depends what Burb you are in, but there is a bit of urban bouldering/buildering around if you are so inclined. There is an awesome training wall under the monash fwy (shittylink) at Burnley.

If you want outdoors, I recall there being a bit at the you yangs but it's somewhat hard on the hands, rough granite with added cheesegrater knobbly bits (??).

That's only an appetizer for places like Andersens - all levels, and Hollow mountain - V F$%$% hard in the Northern Grampians.
I loved andersens, so many sweet problems, short and long. Get a big Ass Bouldering pad. your ankles will thank you :)

ajay

Bouldering... depends what Burb you are in, but there is a bit of urban bouldering/buildering around if you are so inclined. There is an awesome training wall under the monash fwy (shittylink) at Burnley.

If you want outdoors, I recall there being a bit at the you yangs but it's somewhat hard on the hands, rough granite with added cheesegrater knobbly bits (??).

That's only an appetizer for places like Andersens - all levels, and Hollow mountain - V F$%$% hard in the Northern Grampians.
I loved andersens, so many sweet problems, short and long. Get a big Ass Bouldering pad. your ankles will thank you :)
Yeah I go to lactic factory every week. Used to do a bit of sport and trad climbing but not in ages. Id love to hit up the gramps for some bouldering at some point, if I can find some interested parties.

Cypher

Likes Dirt
Happy mental health week :)

I'll add my story. I suffer from generalised anxiety disorder. A dysfunctional family growing up and the reasonably traumatic births of my children (and subsequent broken sleep) all added up to a bit of a break down. I had chronic insomnia and some fearsome social anxiety and I was very very agitated (and unpleasant) all the time.

Even before the breakdown I had been getting some therapy with a psychologist. We'd been trying conservative therapies like cognitive behaviour therapy, sleep hygiene management, healthy eating, exercise, schema therapy, melatonin, benzodiazepines and I was also trying meditation. Some of this helped a little, but until I started medication (SSRIs) it didn't really make much of a dent. My personal insight is that meditation really does not work if you have strong and pernicious anxiety - it makes it worse! I already ate reasonably healthy, exercise enough and I don't really drink much alcohol, so upping those had absolutely no impact (exercising more just made me more anxious - how to fit it all in one day??? Needing to be super organised is exhausting).

The final straw was when I told my 'friends' that I was sick. One of them (who had been my friend for many years) actually told me that they couldn't be nice to me anymore. That stung a lot. It precipitated a mini break down and started me on the meds. And they are not my friends anymore.

The difference with the medication is amazing. I don't feel any different, but it is like the weight of worry has just gone. Disappeared. When I do meditation it actually works! I've been on the meds for most of the year and I am in no hurry to get off. I am enjoying, for the first time in years, peace and serenity. My plan is to build my supports while I am on the meds and eventually go off them in a year...or two. In some ways I am like "why didn't I go on the drugs sooner?" but I am also glad I tried the conservative methods first. You don't know if they will work until you try them.

The SSRIs have some weird side effects. I yawn all the time. I yawned so much I even started hyperventilating (I even went to the doctor and got my lungs x-rayed because I couldn't catch my breath!). I have also put on some weight, but that may have more to do with the proximity of accessible chocolate in my office ;) Meh. I don't care. My riding has vastly improved as now I just don't worry as much. Lol. And now I am spectacular at heights, where once I was quite timid - I'm not reckless, just not excessively worried.

I visit the doctor and the psychologist reasonably regularly to check in and my partner is very supportive.

ajay

Happy mental health week :)

I'll add my story. I suffer from generalised anxiety disorder. A dysfunctional family growing up and the reasonably traumatic births of my children (and subsequent broken sleep) all added up to a bit of a break down. I had chronic insomnia and some fearsome social anxiety and I was very very agitated (and unpleasant) all the time.

Even before the breakdown I had been getting some therapy with a psychologist. We'd been trying conservative therapies like cognitive behaviour therapy, sleep hygiene management, healthy eating, exercise, schema therapy, melatonin, benzodiazepines and I was also trying meditation. Some of this helped a little, but until I started medication (SSRIs) it didn't really make much of a dent. My personal insight is that meditation really does not work if you have strong and pernicious anxiety - it makes it worse! I already ate reasonably healthy, exercise enough and I don't really drink much alcohol, so upping those had absolutely no impact (exercising more just made me more anxious - how to fit it all in one day??? Needing to be super organised is exhausting).

The final straw was when I told my 'friends' that I was sick. One of them (who had been my friend for many years) actually told me that they couldn't be nice to me anymore. That stung a lot. It precipitated a mini break down and started me on the meds. And they are not my friends anymore.

The difference with the medication is amazing. I don't feel any different, but it is like the weight of worry has just gone. Disappeared. When I do meditation it actually works! I've been on the meds for most of the year and I am in no hurry to get off. I am enjoying, for the first time in years, peace and serenity. My plan is to build my supports while I am on the meds and eventually go off them in a year...or two. In some ways I am like "why didn't I go on the drugs sooner?" but I am also glad I tried the conservative methods first. You don't know if they will work until you try them.

The SSRIs have some weird side effects. I yawn all the time. I yawned so much I even started hyperventilating (I even went to the doctor and got my lungs x-rayed because I couldn't catch my breath!). I have also put on some weight, but that may have more to do with the proximity of accessible chocolate in my office ;) Meh. I don't care. My riding has vastly improved as now I just don't worry as much. Lol. And now I am spectacular at heights, where once I was quite timid - I'm not reckless, just not excessively worried.

I visit the doctor and the psychologist reasonably regularly to check in and my partner is very supportive.
I can relate to a lot of that. Especially the initial onset. All of those precursors I experience as well. Interesting you've had no success with cognitive therapy/mindfulness etc. Thats what I'm doing now as I'd prefer not to take medication if possible. I've found it helps control those thoughts of impending doom before they spiral out of control but it's hard.

Good to hear that you've found some peace:) It can be such an elusive state.

Cypher

Likes Dirt
as I'd prefer not to take medication if possible.
Medication is neither good nor bad. The correct medication can make a long road much shorter though. Technically things like melatonin are a 'supplement' and not medication at all. Makes for a wonderful sleep though.

Finding the correct treatments and techniques is the trick though :)

moorey

call me Mia
I had a period of about 5 years fighting the dog after a series of very shithouse event at a previous job. Hated the meds, helped with some symptoms, but I was a zombie with zero libido, motivation or self management. It's largely a blur to me. My wife tells me more about those years, and they sound foreign to me. (No posts on here between about 2005-2010 :faint:

I decided to leave that job, ween myself off, focus on diet, lots of exercise and positive social circles. Not saying it'll never come back, but it's been around 5 years with very rare feelings of a relapse. Not suggesting this will work for others, but it did for me. Keep the social side and family positive.

DJninja

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had a period of about 5 years fighting the dog after a series of very shithouse event at a previous job. Hated the meds, helped with some symptoms, but I was a zombie with zero libido, motivation or self management. It's largely a blur to me. My wife tells me more about those years, and they sound foreign to me. (No posts on here between about 2005-2010 :faint:

I decided to leave that job, ween myself off, focus on diet, lots of exercise and positive social circles. Not saying it'll never come back, but it's been around 5 years with very rare feelings of a relapse. Not suggesting this will work for others, but it did for me. Keep the social side and family positive.
Nothing is better for mental health than physical health. I've never been depressed when I was lifting weights. I need to re-do my vowels with lady iron.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
I can relate to a lot of that. Especially the initial onset. All of those precursors I experience as well. Interesting you've had no success with cognitive therapy/mindfulness etc. Thats what I'm doing now as I'd prefer not to take medication if possible. I've found it helps control those thoughts of impending doom before they spiral out of control but it's hard.

Good to hear that you've found some peace:) It can be such an elusive state.
Medication helps a lot for a lot of people - don't be trying to stay off them just because.. If they work for you, then that is gold, especially if you don't get side effects that bother you.

Reading these replies puts some context into my own internal troubles. Haven't really found exercise to be helpful, though any habits that are productive are good

ajay

Medication helps a lot for a lot of people - don't be trying to stay off them just because.. If they work for you, then that is gold, especially if you don't get side effects that bother you.

Reading these replies puts some context into my own internal troubles. Haven't really found exercise to be helpful, though any habits that are productive are good
The advice I was given was to try a non medicated route in the short term, if I get results, great. If not, then we can start discussing medication. If I can avoid a negative, albeit possibly minor, side effects, then I'd prefer to.

nitro01

Likes Dirt
I've been on the depression side of the fence. Not particularly enjoyable... life of bullying and teasing and being picked on started it. Probably had it undiagnosed since I was 11, properly diagnosed at 15 and I'm nearly 18 now and still here, just, thanks to my girlfriend and being able to go for a ride. Still got it, many ups and downs, today is one of the lower days. :(

Message of the day: be kind to all those you meet, they are all fighting a battle.

To all of you... feel free to PM me any time you want, happy to have a talk!

Nitro

betelnut

Likes Dirt
Great post JD and really good to seeing people being open and honest, as well as asking questions if you don't understand or or unsure what to do.

Two points to make.

Firstly, this sort of open discussion does a lot, both for those people that can talk about this issue and for those who can't. I'm completely open about my mental health to anyone who will listen, including my staff. I don't think everyone can (or should) do this, but I believe it helps in demystifying the issue and reducing the associated stigma. It ain't easy but it all helps.

Secondly, just a reminder to people that there are often other forces at play when you see or hear or read someone doing something you react to in a negative way. The written word is particularly open to interpretation, and more so in forums like this. Before you go and stomp on someone for their obnoxious, ignorant or plain old stoopid post, stop and think for a bit. Don't be the smart-ass that joins the pile on. Maybe that person could use some kind words. Not saying that people can't just be dicks for no reason. Just saying that a little bit of a pause is a good thing. Can make a difference in ways you may never know.

JD you know where to find me mate. Always got time for you.

If any person here ever needs an ear to talk about depression or other mental health issues, drop me a PM. If you're in Canberra, even better.

Riding has certainly helped me out on more than one occasion and riding with a friend, new or old, is even better.

Last edited: