29er wheels

SDA

Likes Dirt
In Melbourne, Paul Bryant at Astroboyracer (http://astroboyracer.com.au/) in Collingwood, Daryl at Cycle Science in Mt Waverly have good reputations (no doubt there are more - just speaking from my, or those I ride with experience).
How could I forget about Daryl - he taught me how to build wheels about 20 years ago!

I was planning to get them built by either Shifter Bikes or Abbotsford Cycles - if were to end up ordering the parts to get them built locally.

redbruce

Eats Squid
How could I forget about Daryl - he taught me how to build wheels about 20 years ago!

I was planning to get them built by either Shifter Bikes or Abbotsford Cycles - if were to end up ordering the parts to get them built locally.
Daryl does have some quirky ideas though, like persisting with the notion of tie and soldered spokes.

Shifter also have a good rep. Might be worth speaking to Greg at TWE. Wheels is all he does.

Irrespective, as Pharmaboy says, go with builders advice. Wheel building is still part art/craft, and experience matters.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
I know of a pretty amazing Tune wheelset that may be up for sale shortly.....

PM if interested...
OK cashed up weight weenies...
Ad in the For Sale section.

Serious offers may be considered....

Ridiculous offers may get an offensive reply

Reluctant sale

creaky

XMAS Plumper
OK cashed up weight weenies...
Ad in the For Sale section.

Serious offers may be considered....

Ridiculous offers may get an offensive reply

Reluctant sale
Any chance you can get some ENVE stickers on there ? Then I could offer you half of your asking price !

GLWS, gotta be a limited market for these creatures !

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Any chance you can get some ENVE stickers on there ? Then I could offer you half of your asking price !

GLWS, gotta be a limited market for these creatures !
Cheers...
Yeah aside from the colour, I'm sure there are many who would be afraid of the price....

I'd also like to see them go to a home where they'll get some good hard use

chrischris

Likes Dirt
The AC MTB race wheels have had some negative comment on the forums (earlier road race rims more so). Similarly there has been the odd comment re rim cracking on the all mountain version.
FYI,
I've had my AC 'All Mountain' wheels on my rigid Niner now for well over a year & haven't needed to touch them. Ever. Still run true.

Also, I do only weight about 75kg kitted up.

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
Just had some LB 29er rims turn up. I asked them to send me some lightish ones and got a 353g and a 341g. Much happy.

benparker79

Likes Bikes
Ive had my LB hookless rims for nearly a year. I built them up with novatec hubs and pillar areo spokes (pretty similar to what they sell complete). Still going great. They weigh in at 1440gm and have been mainly used for xc. I even flatted the rear at Mogo and rode on the rim/tyre for 2km till I caught up to some guys and used their pump then kept going. I have seen some fail, but I also have seen Giant xcr-0 rims fail. Still have my crests on my wifes bike just incase I need a spare.

k3n!f

Cheers...
Yeah aside from the colour, I'm sure there are many who would be afraid of the price....

I'd also like to see them go to a home where they'll get some good hard use
Keen to see what you are getting for a replacement Ackland?

I would have thought those puppies were as good as it gets....

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Keen to see what you are getting for a replacement Ackland?

I would have thought those puppies were as good as it gets....
New wheels will reflect the newest offerings from tune and 81spices.
They will be marginally heavier but feature an Aus designed rim and new model hubs.

Klips

Likes Dirt
Fwiw, as a non-sponsored rider these tune hubs are ridiculous. I've got the king/kong to crests with cxrays (1390g) and almost crashed on some familiar trails at Stromlo because they spun up so much faster than I'm used to, despite a bent rotor at the back meaning I had a bit of brake rub. They're not as light as Acko's but, for the price, they're pretty damn good.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
My King/Kongs have been great, but the Ti pawls do wear out (which is to be expected). I got around 15,000km out of them. The pawls are seriously expensive from Eightyonespices - $20 each and you need three.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
My King/Kongs have been great, but the Ti pawls do wear out (which is to be expected). I got around 15,000km out of them. The pawls are seriously expensive from Eightyonespices - $20 each and you need three.
$60 per year?

How's your bearing life George?
Are you replacing with Tune bearings or Enduro?

I only ever put 3000km on that wheelset and the bearings were like new.

I had to pass on Purple as Tune are no longer offering it so to reflect what people can ACTUALLY buy from 81sp Krischan preferred that I switch.
Would have loved to hold them.

Originally intended to get Prince/Princess but Tune have had other ideas....
I think the "NEW" rear hub may be here soon but fronts are still a month or so off.

k3n!f

Fwiw, as a non-sponsored rider these tune hubs are ridiculous. I've got the king/kong to crests with cxrays (1390g) and almost crashed on some familiar trails at Stromlo because they spun up so much faster than I'm used to, despite a bent rotor at the back meaning I had a bit of brake rub. They're not as light as Acko's but, for the price, they're pretty damn good.
Hmmm now you're temping me. I really want to stick with my 240's because they are incapable of breaking, but those King/Kong hubs look pretty damn tidy.

redbruce

Eats Squid
The AC MTB race wheels have had some negative comment on the forums (earlier road race rims more so). Similarly there has been the odd comment re rim cracking on the all mountain version.

In context however these comments can be found for most rims and from what I have seen are minor in comparison to the positive experiences.

Haven't seen any negative comments re wide lightening yet (apart from the usual AC slow freehub take up), but they are relatively new still. Many tests compare stiffness to carbon rimed wheels.

They have solid construction in that they are 32 spoke and use 14/15 gauge (2.0/1.8/2.0) spokes. The hubs are light (255g rear, 130 gm front).

The rim is light however, at 380gm for a 33mm (29.5 internal) wide 29'er al rim. Twentynineinches has done extended testing (some deliberately aggressive) and reported favorably on durability.
Have now bitten the bullet and got some.

Rather than putting initial review here, I put it into the WL thread.

For those interested:

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?285982-american-classic-wide-lightning

SummitFever

Eats Squid
How's your bearing life George?
Are you replacing with Tune bearings or Enduro?
Bearings are superb. Still on the originals in the hubshell. Had a bearing in the freehub disintegrate but I think I damaged it when I busted my RD hanger and had to single speed it out - chain tension may have been a bit tight at one point in the suspension travel.

The Tune bearings are clearly very high quality and would be a good choice for replacement. I presume Kristan stocks them? My freehub packed it in while I was in Bright, so I just used some SKF bearings that the local mechanic/auto parts store had. They have been going strong ever since, but freehub bearings generally have it pretty easy.

k3n!f

Had these puppies built up by Bike Culture in Canberra. They came in at an impressive 1450g which I was really happy with, taking 130g off my previous wheels at the rim where it matters. Initial impressions are that they are freaking fast, laterally stiff and after 5 weeks off I am freaking slow.

Hubs - DT Swiss 240 6 bolt (the front is actually the 20mm version with end caps to reduce it to 15mm, so its a bit portly at 165g)
Rims - Light Bicycle 22mm internal
Spokes - DT Swiss Revolution
Nipples - DT Swiss Proloc Aluminium

Attachments

22SBBGR

Squid
Agree with what many people have said so far.
Very hard to advise what the best wheel is for any one rider, but some general rules apply to all.
Using easily available parts to build a set of hoops makes any future repairs a lot easier.
Using thin gauge butted spokes are strong ( have used revs before) but a pain to build/true with as they wind up or twist and requires a lot more time to get right.
For the same weight I would use Cxrays or aerolites Any day with a bladed spoke holder, no wind up, easier to build with, no unwinding or re-truing after riding.
Brass nips are obviously stronger than alloy, but found alloy to be ok at high tensions if you lube them and use a 4 sided spoke wrench to avoid rounding them.
Carbon rims have been amazing to use, but have to get the hub perfectly in the centre before bringing the tension up, as you cannot easily correct out of round, as the carbon rim is so stiff it won't give like an alloy one.
If you get a high quality Hubset like dt Swiss, Chris king, hope, etc.. They will last a very long time, and can be rebuilt over the years with new rims. Just get a colour you love.
Built up the last set as 2x, not the previous 3x, based on some research on lateral stiffness, so far so good, they have tracked really well.
Some of the mass produced wheel sets these days are really good performance and weight (E.g. Xtr) hard to beat, but long term hard to get spares. So I guess if you can get them cheap, then great value, but probably not a long term option for lots of kms over many years.
I enjoy working on my own bikes, so having custom built wheels is the way to go for me, as long term I can repair them myself.

Gerokit

Likes Bikes
240 Hubs

Agree with what many people have said so far.
Very hard to advise what the best wheel is for any one rider, but some general rules apply to all.
Using easily available parts to build a set of hoops makes any future repairs a lot easier.
Using thin gauge butted spokes are strong ( have used revs before) but a pain to build/true with as they wind up or twist and requires a lot more time to get right.
For the same weight I would use Cxrays or aerolites Any day with a bladed spoke holder, no wind up, easier to build with, no unwinding or re-truing after riding.
Brass nips are obviously stronger than alloy, but found alloy to be ok at high tensions if you lube them and use a 4 sided spoke wrench to avoid rounding them.
Carbon rims have been amazing to use, but have to get the hub perfectly in the centre before bringing the tension up, as you cannot easily correct out of round, as the carbon rim is so stiff it won't give like an alloy one.
If you get a high quality Hubset like dt Swiss, Chris king, hope, etc.. They will last a very long time, and can be rebuilt over the years with new rims. Just get a colour you love.
Built up the last set as 2x, not the previous 3x, based on some research on lateral stiffness, so far so good, they have tracked really well.
Some of the mass produced wheel sets these days are really good performance and weight (E.g. Xtr) hard to beat, but long term hard to get spares. So I guess if you can get them cheap, then great value, but probably not a long term option for lots of kms over many years.
I enjoy working on my own bikes, so having custom built wheels is the way to go for me, as long term I can repair them myself.
DT Swiss 240 hubs are great until you need to change the drive side bearing. Had a shop remove the ring nut then put it back in wrong, now wheel locks up when the skewer is tightened. The shop is 450km away so no going back, and it only cost $50 to do one bearing. Bikes been out of action for two weeks as local bike shops don't have the tool. Might look at Hope hubs in future