Post your all mountain bike

JoelFitz

Likes Dirt
Ah right, seen your post on mtbr & PF. I have Stans Flow EX on mine and an Ikon rear/2.3 DHRII front, I don't find it hard to pedal ever usually and I also ride it on the roads to/from tracks.

Mine is about 12.7kg without the saddle bag and it has 2x10 XT drivetrain, Pikes & hope brakes. It could be more playful sometimes, but that is easy to rectify by going faster. The bike is a lot better than I can ride it - there are a few reviews comparing the Pivot Mach 6 to it and the general consensus appeared to be that the HD3 is a much better bike overall especially climbing.

Is your pivot too much bike, not fun enough, or something? What is the reason for upgrading?
Thanks mate.. Really just taking the jump to 27.5". The Pivot Mach 5.7c did everything I wanted it to. Most rides would see it using most of its travel. Just trying to not go backwards now. After something pretty similar really.

NUTTTR

Likes Dirt
Thanks mate.. Really just taking the jump to 27.5". The Pivot Mach 5.7c did everything I wanted it to. Most rides would see it using most of its travel. Just trying to not go backwards now. After something pretty similar really.
Highly doubt it'd be backwards, more likely a step up :). I haven't ridden the Pivot though, but wouldn't give up my HD3 for anything.

iUDEX_nCr

Likes Dirt
Bike is finally finished! Just a few teething issues, and I am way too unfit

Shimano drivetrain + Vorspung goodies

Yes, it has a bell :)

iUDEX_nCr

Likes Dirt
Piggyback shock & room for a bottle.

Well done Rocky Mountain!
Not quite sure if you've said in jest... because I can't fit a bottle and cage in there HAHAHA This is a small sized frame. I think the larger sizes or other models have the bidon bolts on the underside of the downtube.
Even a smaller sized bottle only just fits, but not when rear is fully compressed, which kinda makes it pointless anyway. Guess you could carry trail stuff in there.

Awood

Cannon Fodder
Lapierre Zesty AM 527ei

Just bought my first dually and loving it. This bike is so much fun to ride!
She's an XL frame and haven't made any changes yet other than a tubeless setup. Tyres are purgatory grids, huge improvement over the schwalbe's that came on the bike.

iUDEX_nCr

Likes Dirt

Just bought my first dually and loving it. This bike is so much fun to ride!
She's an XL frame and haven't made any changes yet other than a tubeless setup. Tyres are purgatory grids, huge improvement over the schwalbe's that came on the bike.
The dust just speaks FUN!!!

Such a great looking bike.

hulsty

Likes Bikes
Here is mine, picked it up about a week ago second hand, stepping up from a hardtail, enjoying it. Few little mods to tidy it up hit the trails.

DJR

Likes Dirt
Here is mine, picked it up about a week ago second hand, stepping up from a hardtail, enjoying it. Few little mods to tidy it up hit the trails.

Looks great. How does the DHF rear and HR2 front combo go, I've only ever ridden that the other way round

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Looks great. How does the DHF rear and HR2 front combo go, I've only ever ridden that the other way round
I was running this combo the same way. The HR2 on the front was all good. I found the DHF on the rear not as grippy as the Ardent I'm running now, especially on climbs.

hulsty

Likes Bikes
I was running this combo the same way. The HR2 on the front was all good. I found the DHF on the rear not as grippy as the Ardent I'm running now, especially on climbs.
I have no troubles, but I am far far away from being a rider that pushes them. When I go tubeless I plan to switch them around, I have had the front wash out a few times, still working on cornering technique.

Ivan

Eats Squid
So what is "trail riding" that All Mountain and XC are not?

I'm lost....

I channelled my inner nerd and made this for you in excel
picture for johnny.jpg

It's not perfect, but you get the idea. There is plenty of confusion between racing disciplines, bike types and trail designations.

Attachments

Last edited:

Bodin

GMBC
So what is "trail riding" that All Mountain and XC are not?

I'm lost....
I'm giving away my age (and prejudices) here, but it's still simple to me:
XC = you finished riding where you started.
DH = you finished riding at a lower point than where you started and there was some form of transport (shuttle/lift/etc) between the bottom and the top either before or after your ride/run.

Every other term used is just a variation on those themes:
Trail = XC for people who think the word "trail" sounds tougher... like motorbikes... they're generally called "trail bikes". And motorbikes are tough. YEAH!
AM/Enduro = DH with a lot of pedalling (and if there isn't much pedalling then FFS call it what it is: DH!)

At the end of the day, let's face it: if you've ended up back where you started, then you've been cross-country riding and the fact you did it on a heavy bike* and held everyone up on the uphills just so you could be an out-of-control dickhead on the downhills (and not actually any faster than skilled riders on XC bikes) doesn't give you the right to rename the sport.

*No, modern Trail/AM/Enduro bikes are *not* as fast uphill as XC bikes "these days". If you believe that, you haven't watched any elite XC races lately (or possibly ever).

(searches for flame-proof suit :p) :target: