Kona Explosif Competitors?

Mitch243

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi all,

My XC rig is a dying dinosaur. I'm going to put a bullet in it soon. When I do, I want to replace it with a short travel aggressive hardtail.

My requirements:
- thru axles fr/rr
- 650b
- 68deg or less head angle
- steep seat angle
- 80mm - 120mm fork
- single speed compatible
- dropper capable (not 27.2mm seatpost). Pref stealth (with exit at bottom of seat tube like Process or alloy Intense Tracer).
- pref no internal routing.

Basically a Kona Explosif. So why don't I buy one? Spec on them isn't for me. I want Fox Factory or no Fox. I want Sram brakes (or at least not Shimano). Don't care about the drivetrain because it'll most likely be run single speed. Are there any competitors?

Last edited:

Koper25

Likes Dirt
Hi all,

My XC rig is a dying dinosaur. I'm going to put a bullet in it soon. When I do I want to replace it with a short travel aggressive hardtail.

My requirements:
- thru axles fr/rr
- 650b
- 68deg or less head angle
- steep angle
- 80mm - 120mm fork
- single speed compatible
- dropper capable (not 27.2mm seatpost). Pref stealth (with exit at bottom of seat tube like Process or alloy Intense Tracer).
- pref no internal routing.

Basically a Kona Explosif. So why don't I buy one? Spec on them isn't for me. I want Fox Factory or no Fox. I want Sram brakes. Don't care about the drivetrain because it'll most likely be run single speed. Are there any competitors?
Pretty sure you can get them as frame only, have you tried contacting your local Kona dealer, or Groupe Sportif?

DJR

Likes Dirt
Explosif, sell the fox fork and buy a RS rev/pike, x-fusion or marzo, buy some sram Guide RS brakes and sell the shimanos, etc. Maybe a rim change while you're at it and a KS dropper...

cramhobart

Likes Dirt
Santa Cruz Chameleon, Ns eccentric, (crc have ns frames on sale)
2016 Ragley Blue Pig the fork travel on this is over what your chasing- the piglet is closer but no through axle rear.
I think you'll need to do a build or swap some parts to get the spec your chasing.

Last edited:

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Soma b-side? All but the 27.2 seatpost (i have a lev on mine)
If you're in bris welcome to have a look at mine

Thomas11

Likes Dirt
on-one frames are cheap but burley. Have a look at those.
There are a few around on this is in the PMR thread.

Build up ready to go, the explosive seams to be on its own in the market (in aux at least).

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Soma b-side? All but the 27.2 seatpost (i have a lev on mine)
If you're in bris welcome to have a look at mine
Cotic also do some nice frames, the Soul and the BFe 27.5 might fit the bill (31.6 seatposts)
I was looking for an Explosfi for a while too, but don't regret the b-side so far