What do you do for work ? Is it hit or shit.

Kind_cir

Likes Dirt
Might be interesting what some of us do for a living

This thread is about what you do for work and weather it is hit or it's shit.

Myself, a truck driver, driving a water truck watering plants and turf and doing dust suppression on civil work sites.

I love my job, as it gets me out and about. I sit up higher than the traffic, and get to see some noice sorts as driving along the road. I also get to take target practice on roadies.

clockworked

Like an orange
I'm a dentist in the army. I like it

I think both play off each other well: when the white box gets a bit much we almost always have to go outside and do something outside. But none of the super shit jobs.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
I'm a motor mechanic. I actually enjoy the work but hate where I am now. The culture in the place is just rotten from poor management.
Luckily I'll be leaving in a few weeks and they don't even know yet. Suckers.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm a dentist in the army. I like it

I think both play off each other well: when the white box gets a bit much we almost always have to go outside and do something outside. But none of the super shit jobs.
Oh shit, really? I didn't know you'd graduated. I'm going to shoot you a pm, I've got my OSB on Thursday.

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am an electrician in a coal mine.. I enjoy the work, shiftwork can be a pain, but the time off the job is worth the pain

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm an arborist in local government. I do stuff with trees. Love it.

Last edited:

Mr Kurt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm an undergraduate Civil Engineer, working as a Technical Officer in Local Government. And I love it ;)

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Best revenge where deserved
I've known for quite some time but thought it was best to keep it to myself. The company I work for laid off a lot of people last year including a lot of good people that had worked there 20 or 30 years. So I'm not too worried about hurting their feelings.
But I should have been a builder or electrician. The pay for mechanics is rubbish and career prospects are zero.

Kind_cir

Likes Dirt
I've known for quite some time but thought it was best to keep it to myself. The company I work for laid off a lot of people last year including a lot of good people that had worked there 20 or 30 years. So I'm not too worried about hurting their feelings.
But I should have been a builder or electrician. The pay for mechanics is rubbish and career prospects are zero.
I've done a lot of different things. Sometimes a change is as good as a holiday. If you have a chance to do something you might enjoy and the money is good, why not. Plenty of time i have had to start at the bottom and work up. Sat in my last job working for people I hated to work for. Done it for 2 years to get cintacts and go out on my own.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Came close to doing a mechanic apprenticeship when I at high school, always loved working on cars (am still a closet petrol head). But glad I did science at uni instead and ended up in the public service after several years as a consultant.

But am working on transport stuff, so still sort of get to be a petrol head :)

Office work is horrible on your body though...

Last edited:
I was a mechanic...am now becoming a youth worker (talk about worlds apart). After that, I will see how much further up the social science tree I want to climb. Perhaps psychology.

Jeffgre_6163

Likes Dirt
I'm a carpentry trade instructor in a Queensland prison
Custodial correctional officer first, trade instructor second it needs to be pointed out as we have to deal with our fair share of "disciplinary" issues from time to time
its a great job, pay is pretty reasonable and as we work 12 hour shifts [no night shift] totaling 38hrs per week averaged over a 12 week roster, we get shit loads of time off.
And yes, you somehow do get used to working next to murderers with chisels and hammers in the their hands

Hellyeah

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sheet metal worker

I was thinking ride after work all day today...........
Got a box of Lowenbrau instead!

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
I do picture framing. Custom and production where needed. Been doing it for 8 years and have ascended to management, but still get my hands dirty.

It's not bad, but it's a go nowhere job... Pays the bills though, that's the important part.

It's interesting seeing all the garbage people want framed.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
I'm an arborist in local government. I do stuff with trees. Love it.

Would love to do that...

I'm a CNC Machinist. The work is ok, the location sucks (indoors, hot, breathing coolant fumes all day), work mates are great and the pay is reasonable.