What do you do for work ? Is it hit or shit.

David2406

Blueeeeeeeey's on!
I'm a land surveyor. Work for myself. Is good not having a boss. Is a good job with good mix of inside and out. Get to see a lot of interesting things. Not real good when it's stinking hot though

moorey

call me Mia
I play with some of the toughest kids in the state. Sometimes they accidentally learn something along the way. Best job ever.

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
radiographer

been CT supervisor full-time for ~15 years (hence my username)

work close to home now and ride to work

different everyday

Flow-Rider

Burner
I've known for quite some time but thought it was best to keep it to myself. The company I work for laid off a lot of people last year including a lot of good people that had worked there 20 or 30 years. So I'm not too worried about hurting their feelings.
But I should have been a builder or electrician. The pay for mechanics is rubbish and career prospects are zero.
Good on you, hope you have a clean start away from mechanics, at least for a little while. The whole industry is just full of rot.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Electrician + Refrigeration/Air conditioning Mechanic + Diesel Generator technician
have recently moved up to newcastle, so had to have a hunt around for a good stable job..pretty tough to find permanent roles up here at present..
found a cool job though, where i get to play on runway lighting, and have planes fly over me while i work!

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Cool, you're dealing with DCP servers and projectors on a daily basis then? I've always wondered what it would take to become a projectionist.

Yep, daily. There are no operators, everything is automated. Power, lighting, hvac. Content control is all centralised. Thousands of people were made redundant when film was phased out.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Office work is horrible on your body though...
Try repetitively removing tight spark plugs most of the day, bent over lowered cars or lifting truck wheels over centre hubs or pushing dead cars in and out of workshops every morning and afternoon. It takes its toll on your body.

BizL

Likes Dirt
I did hospitality management for years then tourism. Last year I started doing a traineeship in arboriculture. The mob I was working for used me as cheep labor mostly to brush cut transmission line easements. I only did a few weeks working on trees. So I bailed. Now I'm a service advisor and parts interpreter at the local vw dealership. I've got my work cut out for me for the next while eh.

Miguel75

Likes Dirt
After after 10 years traveling/living OS I came home, met my wife and decided to work in an office to make my fortune. After 7 years behind a desk I realized it was killing me so tried out for and was accepted into the fire brigade. Every day is pretty varied with very few days alike. Good balance of physical and mental challenges.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
After after 10 years traveling/living OS I came home, met my wife and decided to work in an office to make my fortune. After 7 years behind a desk I realized it was killing me so tried out for and was accepted into the fire brigade. Every day is pretty varied with very few days alike. Good balance of physical and mental challenges.
Total Props to you guys..
i have done my fair share of confined space training, and it still freaks me out everytime..wearing SCBA is not a nice feeling

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
I did hospitality management for years then tourism. Last year I started doing a traineeship in arboriculture. The mob I was working for used me as cheep labor mostly to brush cut transmission line easements. I only did a few weeks working on trees. So I bailed. Now I'm a service advisor and parts interpreter at the local vw dealership. I've got my work cut out for me for the next while eh.
Service advisor is the worst job in a dealership. You're just a salesman selling people shit they don't need and can't afford.
Is your pay directly linked to how much bullshit extras you can sell?
It's why people hate dealerships.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Good on you, hope you have a clean start away from mechanics, at least for a little while. The whole industry is just full of rot.
I wish. I'm still going to be a mechanic. I'm just moving to the country so will be doing it somewhere else.
I don't know anything else. Well except for spare parts which pays even less.

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I spent 10 years working in outdoor education. In my role as head of mountain biking i took high school kids riding all over the state and over the last 3 years started to train mountain bike guides. I have recently started on as an apprentice carpenter and I am loving it. Outdoor Ed provides a great lifestyle but there is fuck all money to be made, the hours are ridiculous and I have multiple mouths to feed now. I do miss regularly riding my bike for work but not so much the year 9 private school attitude.

beejay

Likes Dirt
Main job: Bar manager in a resort in Palm Cove (Cairns). The jobs cool and the location is fantastic but the politics of hospitality and hotel work is doing my head in.

Secondary job: Freelance web design. Love it and can't get enough of it, just trying to break in to a better position so I can leave job number 1.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Try repetitively removing tight spark plugs most of the day, bent over lowered cars or lifting truck wheels over centre hubs or pushing dead cars in and out of workshops every morning and afternoon. It takes its toll on your body.
Yup, a different kind of horrible...

I enjoyed my last government job in Melbourne - an office job but spent a few weeks a year doing firefighting. Great mix. Consulting was good too as there was a good mix of field work.

At least now bike commuting takes the edge off the back issues driving a desk gives you....

BizL

Likes Dirt
Service advisor is the worst job in a dealership. You're just a salesman selling people shit they don't need and can't afford.
Is your pay directly linked to how much bullshit extras you can sell?
It's why people hate dealerships.
My pay is independent of what I sell. I do get some incentives for selling certain products but not heaps. I see it as a foot into the industry.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I wish. I'm still going to be a mechanic. I'm just moving to the country so will be doing it somewhere else.
I don't know anything else. Well except for spare parts which pays even less.
Oh well, some country jobs can be ok. Don't put yourself in this box of "I don't know anything else" some of the dead beats I have had to work with in other industries, they just know how to do the same thing day in day out. One thing with most mechanics is that they learn very fast because of how diverse and ever evolving the industry is. I worked beside fitters in the mines that had no clue on how to weld two bits of metal together or riggers that couldn't sling a simple load. One good thing with mechanic jobs is that you will always have work and if you don't try other jobs you will never know. You will always get the fuckwits that try and push you out of a job, you have to remind them everyone had to learn somewhere.