What do you do for work ? Is it hit or shit.

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm a truck driver in the waste industry waking everyone up at 4am emptying dumpsters. Its ok work, shit hours and sometimes u get covered in shit but the money is good and and a stable industry and the company has a modern fleet of vehicles.
Props to the garbos out there - saw the most talented driver in Surfers a couple of weeks back, jumping from apartment block to the next, tiny spaces and never missed a beat. Had to tell him I was that impressed, he seemed rather chuffed! Definitely an underrated job, I tip my hat to you sir!:yo:

While hatch would say she hit the shit, and Jarrod got hit with the shit.

Same shit, different shovel...
It's taken me a week to even be able to talk about it...

jarrod839

Banned
Props to the garbos out there - saw the most talented driver in Surfers a couple of weeks back, jumping from apartment block to the next, tiny spaces and never missed a beat. Had to tell him I was that impressed, he seemed rather chuffed! Definitely an underrated job, I tip my hat to you sir!:yo:

It's taken me a week to even be able to talk about it...
why thank you and yeah there are some drivers out there that are just super talented. There's some places we take the trucks that just freak people out.

ducky1988

Likes Dirt
I work in customer service for a large energy company. By far the most boring and shittest jobs.

Stare at the same computer screen all day while getting yelled at for some of the dumbest stuff. One lady spent twenty minutes waiting and 25 minutes complaining our electricity company blew up her toaster because we gave her house too much electricity.

The perks:
Get paid way too much for what I do
Good people around me who can take a joke
Free coffee
I am no longer looking for as much loose change under my couch

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
I work in customer service for a large energy company. By far the most boring and shittest jobs.

Stare at the same computer screen all day while getting yelled at for some of the dumbest stuff. One lady spent twenty minutes waiting and 25 minutes complaining our electricity company blew up her toaster because we gave her house too much electricity.

The perks:
Get paid way too much for what I do
Good people around me who can take a joke
Free coffee
I am no longer looking for as much loose change under my couch
Hows the weather in Dhaka?

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Work in an audit role for an evil Oil and Gas company. Generally the work is sh1t although sometimes it's interesting (a decent fraud or monumental strategic fckup), on the plus side the money's good. Have travelled a fair bit with it, and it pays the bills and for my hobbies, so can't complain.

Downside is my head checked out a while ago, so I need to come up with a plan b cos it's f-ing painful to be here now. Hopefully figure it out by xmas. The idea of a 4 day week or 9 day fortnight sounds awesome as I work for weekends, so if you take a 20% haircut for a 50% gain in time off, then that's a great outcome IMO.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Long term bureaucrat, currently in regional natural resource management, preparing planning and policy documents. That sort of thing. After twenty something years of this I'm thinking natural resource management is a crock and would much rather join the rest of the world in maiming and destroying what we little have left rather than pay lip service to helping the Great Unwashed pretend to think otherwise.

Save the Planet:Fuck a Koala

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Long term bureaucrat, currently in regional natural resource management, preparing planning and policy documents. That sort of thing. After twenty something years of this I'm thinking natural resource management is a crock and would much rather join the rest of the world in maiming and destroying what we little have left rather than pay lip service to helping the Great Unwashed pretend to think otherwise.
Environment. Same as you but a quarter of the time. If mining was still full steam, I'm with you. Someone else can solve the problem. I'm just going to get paid a crapload to dig stuff and sell it.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Project management in major events temporary infrastructure over here. Get to deal with some pretty awesome gigs (majority motorsport related, but I also do some concerts, NRL), get to do some pretty cool stuff for sure! Weekend before last below.
View attachment 321038

But it certainly can have its shit moments....as in, I literally had to shovel someone's shit last week. Post bender, tradie, bog monster sized shit. I myself was horrendously hungover on 3hrs sleep at the time, we call it 'event karma'.

I still wouldn't do anything else, in fact I'd do this for less (don't tell the boss!) and I'm only on a post grad salary! Very very lucky :roll:
No where near as good as it was in the early days, fun police have stepped in and wrecked it.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
I gave up full time work years ago and I've never been happier. I work about 10 or so hours a week sucking corporate dick for a good cause. I go out to companies that have written computers off on tax and hand them over to the good folk at Computerbank to rebuild for students, pensioners and other low income earners. It just manages to pay the bills as long as I keep my expenses down but there are more important things than money.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
I'm keenly reading this thread for new career ideas.
Ha, same. Been unemployed for almost a month now. Recently I was a Media Advisor and before that a Research Consultant. Not sure how I got into the latter, some kind of weird career trajectory, but it was a very cruisey job, spent a lot of time in meetings sounding like a self-important wanker. Cruisey jobs are a double edged sword - great work/life balance, but the lack of brain stimulation definitely got to me.

When I found out my contract wasn't being renewed I managed to bullshit my way into the media advisor role. Significant pay cut, 100 times more work (same company). Loved it though. Aiming to do more of the same if I can, but the job situation in Adelaide is.....limited.

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I do picture framing. Custom and production where needed. Been doing it for 8 years and have ascended to management, but still get my hands dirty.

It's not bad, but it's a go nowhere job... Pays the bills though, that's the important part.

It's interesting seeing all the garbage people want framed.
I'm a picture framer too

hayd

Likes Dirt
Dunno if there's any overlap here with mech eng, but a couple of mates are fire engineers and don't seem to have any issues with employment. Both have moved around a bit the last few years on their own terms. Sounds like the workload can get crazy busy from time to time though.
I'm a fire safety engineer. Absolutely love it. Couldn't imagine doing anything else. It's a pretty small industry in that everyone knows everyone else (and often peer reviews each other), so if you've got a reputation for doing good work it's quite easy to move around. I'm working on a couple of big infrastructure jobs at the moment which can get a little busy, but the hours are nothing like some others in the construction industry

Thomas11

Likes Dirt
Production planner and MR purchaser for a plastics manufacturing company, we make bottles, mostly Milk and soft drink and the closures associated with them (the caps/lids).
Not an exciting role at all on paper, but I enjoy it and work with good people. I have to used my brain everyday and deal with a lot of external customers so i get to talk with a lot of different people on a daily basis both formal and informal.

IMO when it comes to work, the enjoyment factor isn't necessarily the job you actually do or the $$$ you get paid (I do get paid pretty well IMO though, which does help), but its more the people you work with. I work with great people and have multiple laughs every day. Therefore I enjoy rocking up everyday.

Last edited:

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
I'm a fire safety engineer. Absolutely love it. Couldn't imagine doing anything else. It's a pretty small industry in that everyone knows everyone else (and often peer reviews each other), so if you've got a reputation for doing good work it's quite easy to move around. I'm working on a couple of big infrastructure jobs at the moment which can get a little busy, but the hours are nothing like some others in the construction industry
How did you get into that?

hayd

Likes Dirt
How did you get into that?
There are so many different pathways in. I studied mech eng and applied physics, became intrigued about fire safety when undertaking a marine and offshore HVAC internship and was lucky enough to get a trainee fire safety role whilst still at uni. My colleagues come from a range of engineering backgrounds (structural, aero, chemical), so there's no set way in.

Regardless of what your level of expertise is in another engineering role, you typically have to start from the bottom when you enter the industry and learn everything on the job. The master’s program as it stands is grossly inadequate for what’s required even in a very junior position.

Every day is different, whether that’s doing some CFD smoke modelling on a new retail complex/tunnel, looking at human behaviour during evacuations, assisting with building product development, or doing some studies as an expert witness in legal cases.

ducky1988

Likes Dirt
Ha, same. Been unemployed for almost a month now. Recently I was a Media Advisor and before that a Research Consultant. Not sure how I got into the latter, some kind of weird career trajectory, but it was a very cruisey job, spent a lot of time in meetings sounding like a self-important wanker. Cruisey jobs are a double edged sword - great work/life balance, but the lack of brain stimulation definitely got to me.

When I found out my contract wasn't being renewed I managed to bullshit my way into the media advisor role. Significant pay cut, 100 times more work (same company). Loved it though. Aiming to do more of the same if I can, but the job situation in Adelaide is.....limited.
is there even a job available in Adelaide at the moment? Do you like standing in super markets flogging of shitty goods?