Trading area updates

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I've updated all the categories with a sticky on how to edit the title. As for the Tapatalk function, I can't make any recommendations on it's functionality other than the fact that it's shit and I cannot recommend anyone use it. If you need to edit a post, please do do it using the full desktop version. ;)

scblack

Leucocholic
I've updated all the categories with a sticky on how to edit the title. As for the Tapatalk function, I can't make any recommendations on it's functionality other than the fact that it's shit and I cannot recommend anyone use it. If you need to edit a post, please do do it using the full desktop version. ;)
If its a bigger post I will be making I actually write it out in Word, then copy into the Reply to Thread screen. Too many many times have I written out a large post, only to have Farkin/Rotorburn crash as I hit Submit. Sometimes I nearly cried.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Dozer, the script has moved them all to sold, you may want to do something about that.
Ahahahahaaa! Well thats fucked that plan eh! :frusty:

I've added the sticky to the trading area main page. Thanks Wesadude. ;)

Last edited:

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
In tapatalk, there's a button to allow you to open the page in the internet browser and this gives you the option for advanced setting. I've done this dozens of times. Anyone who claims they can't edit the title is just plain lazy. .

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
In tapatalk, there's a button to allow you to open the page in the internet browser and this gives you the option for advanced setting. I've done this dozens of times. Anyone who claims they can't edit the title is just plain lazy. .
Or dumb :behindsofa: mind posting a screenshot of said button? Every time I try to open RB in Chrome, it redirects to crappatalk. Being a 'tard, I've been unable to workout how to side step it......

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Anyone who claims they can't edit the title is just plain lazy. .
Yeah, I gotta think there is some truth in that. Tapatalk may be different, never used it but the website is really, really simple and just takes a few seconds thought and trial. The vast majority of people here have been able to work it out without any problems at all. However the other day I had for the first time in 10 years two people complain to me that it was extremely difficult to work out - seriously one guy even claimed hours on the phone and computer trying to find out how to do it - both were in the same 24hr period, which was also strangely coincidental.

Honestly, I give about 3 infractions a week to draw people's attention to changing the title and almost everyone to a person will say something along the lines of "sorry mate, have altered it now, cheers". However one of the two people that complained last week demanded I withdraw the infractions, apologise for insulting him by sending the infraction and provide highly detailed directions on how to make the edit in easy to access guidelines. Th guy was very clearly a low-level public servant full of his own importance that copped a ban for being a tool when he didn't get his way.

Just fucking astonishing behaviour for a person over the age of 12.

I like rotorburn, get linked to threads here, and am friends with bikers who regularly buy and sell things on this board.

Recently I need to buy some second hand equipment and have heard that rotorburn is the best place for it.

The 5 post requirement means though that now instead of voluntarily commenting on threads, with my new account, I have to cherry pick something to post to meet the minimum requirements trading requirements so I can ride again. It's a bit of a pain, especially with the formatting of the requirements, linking to separate areas, being a mix of fonts and colors. Just not a very friendly experience for a brand new user.

moorey

call me Mia
I like rotorburn, get linked to threads here, and am friends with bikers who regularly buy and sell things on this board.

Recently I need to buy some second hand equipment and have heard that rotorburn is the best place for it.

The 5 post requirement means though that now instead of voluntarily commenting on threads, with my new account, I have to cherry pick something to post to meet the minimum requirements trading requirements so I can ride again. It's a bit of a pain, especially with the formatting of the requirements, linking to separate areas, being a mix of fonts and colors. Just not a very friendly experience for a brand new user.
Jesus cobs. It's not rocket surgery. I don't even use templates, just type...
Item.
Location.
Price.
Reason for sale.
Condition.
Pics.

No one will flame you if you don't colour code or bold the headings. Just include all the info in headings.

If you're just here to trade, and that's how it sounds, this mightn't be the place for you. Gumtree doesn't require formats or clear info. Try there.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
^^^^^^^^^+

Secondly, we are a community, not ebaytree. We aren't interested in people who only come here to sell and generate profit, which is what we would become if we didn't require sellers to also participate in discussion and be part of the community.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I've had a couple of frustrations in the trading area of late and am considering the following additions to the trading area rules. Please let me know your thoughts on it:

-It drives me nuts seeing people post an item for sale on the internet and say it is pick up only. The largest item you can freight in mountain biking is a bike, it costs no more than $200 to get it from one side of Australia to the other and I know that for a fact, I've sent two bikes in boxes to Western Australia. Adding the note saying you accept pick up is fine but I think it should be a requirement that you put an item up for sale and are willing to post. In summary; any item listed should be something that you list knowing that posting it to a buyer is a requirement.

-Photos. I'm tempted to delete any thread that doesn't have the photos added within a couple of days, even one day. I'm also planning to delete threads that have photos taken from the manufacturer webpage that aren't of the actual item. An example of that is a guy puts a Giant Trance for sale and uses the image from the Giant website of the new bike and says "looks like this". That's not good enough and not accurate or honest.

I'll take this chance to remind people that we need you to use templates and you need to put "sold" in your titles once it's sold or not selling quickly enough. It's not hard to do, the instructions are there for you to use so please think of the other users of the site and potential buyers who may ignore your sales because you got lazy.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
i concur, the photo one is most important i reckon.

"i'll post photos in the morning" how about you just create the for sale ad once you have pictures? what are people doing, creating for sale adds whilst grocery shopping?

bennyp1

Likes Dirt
I've had a couple of frustrations in the trading area of late and am considering the following additions to the trading area rules. Please let me know your thoughts on it:

-It drives me nuts seeing people post an item for sale on the internet and say it is pick up only. The largest item you can freight in mountain biking is a bike, it costs no more than $200 to get it from one side of Australia to the other and I know that for a fact, I've sent two bikes in boxes to Western Australia. Adding the note saying you accept pick up is fine but I think it should be a requirement that you put an item up for sale and are willing to post. In summary; any item listed should be something that you list knowing that posting it to a buyer is a requirement.

-Photos. I'm tempted to delete any thread that doesn't have the photos added within a couple of days, even one day. I'm also planning to delete threads that have photos taken from the manufacturer webpage that aren't of the actual item. An example of that is a guy puts a Giant Trance for sale and uses the image from the Giant website of the new bike and says "looks like this". That's not good enough and not accurate or honest.

I'll take this chance to remind people that we need you to use templates and you need to put "sold" in your titles once it's sold or not selling quickly enough. It's not hard to do, the instructions are there for you to use so please think of the other users of the site and potential buyers who may ignore your sales because you got lazy.
All great additions. The no postage thing is quite annoying. If you won't post maybe just put it on your local Facebook sell/swap thingy.

Ideate

In summary; any item listed should be something that you list knowing that posting it to a buyer is a requirement.
Nah. You can't force people to ship especially when they have no time to. You'd miss out on a fair bit of local pickup deals if that were the case and usually pickup only people can be coerced into shipping if you make it worth their while.

In summary; if I were forced to post as a requirement of listing an item here, I wouldn't.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Nah. You can't force people to ship especially when they have no time to. You'd miss out on a fair bit of local pickup deals if that were the case and usually pickup only people can be coerced into shipping if you make it worth their while.

In summary; if I were forced to post as a requirement of listing an item here, I wouldn't.
if you have time to browse forums and ride bikes, you've got time to throw something in a post bin. "no time" is a crock of shit.