Trading area updates

Psimpson7

Likes Dirt
Good ideas I think Dozer. Shipping most stuff really isn't that hard. Even a full bike as you say is going to be less than $200, and shops will pack bikes in boxes for about $50 if you don't want to do it yourself. They most likely will give you the box for free. I recently shipped a full bike to Sydney via TNT sensitive express, it cost about $120 including insurance and was there in less than 24hrs from SE Qld.

However, having said that there are some cases where shipping is a pain / not realistic... for instance I sold a couple of new cheap wire bead Ardents the other day on here that i had as 'pick up only' as they would have been a real pain to post when compared to the price I sold them for ($25 the pair) I would have posted them if I had to but the cost would have been stupid.

Photos should definitely be a requirement. agree with Mitchy. Post the thread when you have the pics

I would also suggest threads where the OP doesn't response to questions in say a week should be deleted. That Chris king hubs thread springs to mind.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
if you have time to browse forums and ride bikes, you've got time to throw something in a post bin. "no time" is a crock of shit.
+1bazillion

Posting can be a pain, but if you want to list it on a national forum, and move it, its a given. When there's people willing to chop out others by doing a pickup-n-post for other members, with no interest in actual sale, its a bit of a cop-out giving the ole CBF on your own sale.

Most buyers are willing to cop the postage charges as an extra to the purchase price, so really you're spending what? a half hour of your time.....

Lost track of the P/U only adds that never shift. Wanted a seatpost in a stupid uncommon size, seller in canberra wouldn't post, its a seatpost FFS not a frame, fork, wheelset, don't think it ever sold....

mxh

Likes Dirt
if you have time to browse forums and ride bikes, you've got time to throw something in a post bin. "no time" is a crock of shit.
Maybe if you have time, you can offer postage for items you want to sell.

I don't want the hassle of packing stuff up, having to get to a post office between 9am and 5pm ('cos that's when I'm at work), have the potential of damage in transit etc etc

If you don't want to pick it up, don't buy my goods. It's all about choice. Leave it as it is.

Ideate

You're right, it's a crock but often you get little back from people just like you.. so by the time you've left work early to line up at the post office for 40 minutes, paid for the satchel, stamps, whatever, just to post a $20 stem that you've haggled down to $15(posted) because you're a tight arse, you've actually came out with a loss.

That's just one extreme example but those local $20 bargains are great for me to pickup and easy for the seller. People like easy.

I get my missus to post everything for me so if she can't do my dirty work anymore then I won't be posting anything for sale if this rule goes through.

There's an idea. Cater for both, having the regular trading area then a sub area for pickups only?

mitchy_

Llama calmer
You're right, it's a crock but often you get little back from people just like you.. so by the time you've left work early to line up at the post office for 40 minutes, paid for the satchel, stamps, whatever, just to post a $20 stem that you've haggled down to $15(posted) because you're a tight arse, you've actually came out with a loss.

That's just one extreme example but those local $20 bargains are great for me to pickup and easy for the seller. People like easy.

I get my missus to post everything for me so if she can't do my dirty work anymore then I won't be posting anything for sale if this rule goes through.

There's an idea. Cater for both, having the regular trading area then a sub area for pickups only?
for starters, no one is saying you can't offer pick up. but if you only want local exposure you might be better off using gumtree or fingerbook.

secondly, if you are willing to accept $15 posted for a item you wanted $20 for... that's your own fault, stick to your price if you think it's worth that much. i'm not sure if you were having a dig at me or not about that either? i dont like haggling so 99% of the time i pay the asking price.

post office bins are open 24/7 as well, you can lob your lowballed stem into one at 6am before your saturday morning ride that you are too busy for.

Last edited:

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge

Innit youse a teacher? FFS you work 72 hours a year.....

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
nah, I agree with ideate here.

posting a shock or a stem is a piece of piss, no worries there at all. but posting bikes or wheels is a pain in the ass if you're not set up for it or in the know. and since most burners are chasing the bargain and not afraid to haggle to get it, you'll rarely come out on top of the postage cost, and almost never on top of the time taken to box and ship. plus there's the worry of losing stuff in transit or stuff being damaged or the buyer not liking what they got in the mail etc etc.

I'm not in that boat. I'm happy to post to help a rider out. but I can see why some people might not want to and I reckon that's fair enough, especially for bulky item.

on board with the pictures though. every phone in existence has a camera now, its just not that hard!

Ideate

Innit youse a teacher? FFS you work 72 hours a year.....
It's actually bi-annual so it's 36 hours. I've just logged my 31st hour yesterday so I'm currently back on holiday.

I have time on the weekends which is what I tend to do if the missus can't or I get smartsend to pickup from the admin office at work (love those middle aged admin ladies).

For the rest of us that work 9-5, it's a pain in the arse, especially for bulky items. I don't understand why it's so debatable?

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
If you don't want to pick it up, don't buy my goods. It's all about choice. Leave it as it is.
I agree with this, if you don't want to post you should have that option. I don't think it's a huge thing.

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
Bull. Shit. I've got time to look on a forum, i've got time to pack up a bike in a box too. I don't, however, have a liscense to drive a car. I need to wait until someone can take me to a PO or equivalent to post a bike in a box. Cuz those bitches are big and heavy to carry.

Packaging large items can be a PITA and time wise can cost much more than just the post. I assume that everyone demanding postage be mandatory is also willing to pay handling costs should the seller want them ?

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Nah. You can't force people to ship especially when they have no time to. You'd miss out on a fair bit of local pickup deals if that were the case and usually pickup only people can be coerced into shipping if you make it worth their while.

In summary; if I were forced to post as a requirement of listing an item here, I wouldn't.
It's a tough call. It can be frustrating for buyers and often loses sales for sellers but it can be a real hassle for low value of hard to pack items.

My opinion is that it should be at the seller's choice but, in saying that, to my knowledge I have never advertised an item on here as local pickup only (I could by wrong though).

I'm wouldn't have a tantrum either way.

Flow-Rider

Burner
There are other problems at play with posting things around Australia, I for one are only interested in buying locally. I got caught out on here a few years ago by buying a frame and it was a fair drive away to pick up. A guy photographed the good side of the frame and when I looked at it in person it was full of scratches and paint chips where it had been laid over on the dirt. I jumped the gun a bit, had already ordered parts to suit and drove a long way to pick the frame up in person.

The combination of having to waste a day of work to drive a long way, ordering parts to suit this frame previously and the frame been previously owned by a well known poster on here to the former owner, I still went through with the deal at a slightly reduced price. The condition of the frame in real life looked nothing like the photo and I wouldn't of bothered if I had seen the true condition of the frame in the first place. If he had posted it to someone in that condition for that price, I am sure they would be very unhappy about it.

Another problem I came across is people not packing things correctly when sent by mail, by the time it gets to your home it's damaged and of coarse when they previously sent it to you it was fine.

Last edited:

Calvin27

Eats Squid
+1 for photos.

-1 for post.

Reasons:
1. I know of no selling site that forces you to have post. Even fleabay, scumtree and headbook don't have this.
2. Aust post are a pita and opend crappy hours. Saturday morning is riding time, not posting. They should be open until 9pm.
3. Postage doesn't always go right. Some sellers don't want to take the risk. I only post stuff if it is low to moderate value.
4. It would be easy to get around - seller could just specify a ridiculous postage rate.

Maybe a compromise is to include something in the header. Something like [VIC+p] to indicate if postage or not.

moorey

call me Mia
I'm wholly in the offer postage or don't list it on here, sorry guys. I know it realistically can't be enforced, and there will always be exceptions, but 90% of the time, it's laziness from blow ins, or people who solely use farkin to trade.
Recently, a frame was listed on here that seller refused to ship. Numerous people had pleaded him to do so, without luck. I wanted it for my boy, so after it had been unsold for a while, I found a burner nearby (thanks JTMOFO), who would pick up and pay cash for me, then ship it off.
I contact seller, and he says that he now is selling it to someone interstate anyway at full listed price.....but if I can up my offer to above asking price, cutting the other buyers lunch, and he will sell it to me. Yeah, nah, chunt.
Personally, I'm prepared to wait a bit, if someone needs time to get to po or get it boxed up for collection, and happy to pay a bit more for your trouble if it's something I really want.
Yes, it can sometimes be a hassle, but I post bulky shite all the time. It's not rocket surgery.

Also agree with the pics up thing, actual pics, and not pics taken with an inch of Vaseline over the lens.
Put sold and found in title, and answer your fucking messages and reply to posts. WE CAN SEE YOU ARE LOGGED ON AND READING THE THREAD.
Just sayin.

DeBloot

Feeling old
I think they are fair suggestions for someone who genuinely wants to sell something
Rather than the people who think they want to sell something but then decide it's too hard after the fact

I get the impression people just look in their garage and see a bunch of shit they can't use and think
'Oh I'll put it on RB and sell it' and then think 'gee, what a PITA it is to actually follow through on the sale'
If you can't post it properly and within 5 working days - fuck off
This excludes things like car racks perhaps - but bikes. Get off your arse and send it or piss off and stop wasting everyone's time

If it's too hard to post it using the post office, the don't post it on Rotorburn - simple
if someone makes an offer that is too low, you have a choice to say no
You don't have a choice to say yes and then take weeks to send it because you didn't have a pen and your mum was too sick to drive you the post office

And I'm with Mitchy
If photos are coming tomorrow
Why not just post the whole fucking thread tomorrow - bloody ridiculous

And no photos - jesus
it's 2015 peeps- no photos no sell - simple

And putting sold in the title - God - that has to be one for the Friday rant session
Put sold in the title, dickhead - not in the thread itself

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
I think they are fair suggestions for someone who genuinely wants to sell something
Rather than the people who think they want to sell something but then decide it's too hard after the fact

I get the impression people just look in their garage and see a bunch of shit they can't use and think
'Oh I'll put it on RB and sell it' and then think 'gee, what a PITA it is to actually follow through on the sale'
This excludes things like car racks perhaps - but bikes. Get off your arse and send it or piss off and stop wasting everyone's time

If it's too hard to post it using the post office, the don't post it on Rotorburn - simple
You don't have a choice to say yes and then take weeks to send it because you didn't have a pen and your mum was too sick to drive you the post office

And I'm with Mitchy

And no photos - jesus

And putting sold in the title - God - that has to be one for the Friday rant session
I...think...I'm...in...:love:

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea

And I'm with Mitchy

And no photos - jesus

1. No Photos, No sale ad, NO EXCEPTIONS.

2. Answer your bloody messages, even to say sorry it's sold

3. Get a price for packing and posting from pack n send etc so you can tell a buyer how much it will be to post the wheels or bike.

4. send items 'signature on delivery', or by similar courier service so there is tracking, and proof of postage and delivery to recipient. ITS NOT THAT HARD.

5. DONT FFS price an item the same or close to what we can get it for new and posted from an online seller. it's a fucking dumb thing to do, and you won't sell it at that price.

6. If you don't want to post it, fine. But don't bullshit people that you will or might.

Last edited:

mxh

Likes Dirt
I know it realistically can't be enforced
So why bother?

If the seller doesn't want to post, why force them to muck people about by pretending that they will. Yes, the seller may lose out on potential sales, but that's their prerogative.

The system ain't broke, so don't try to mend it.

Ideate

I...think...I'm...in...:love:
Imagine living with someone so righteous. No thanks. You're going to have my dick in your ass tonight, otherwise you can fuck off!

The posting issue is easy (it's not an issue unless you're moorebagz chunty embedding yourself in overly complicated pickup post arrangements which I have experienced first hand. I think I was storing wheels for mitchy that moorey had bought off ezk that I picked up for about 2 months).

"If you can't pick up then don't buy." is a better option than "if you can't post then fuck off" if you ask me.