Widest Alloy Rims

Richard Devey

Likes Bikes
Hello all
does anyone know who would make a 30mm internal alloy rime 32 hole 27.5 diameter tubeless etc
Will go chinese carbon if i cant buy a alloy one

Zac Hinton

St Bernard
Hello all
does anyone know who would make a 30mm internal alloy rime 32 hole 27.5 diameter tubeless etc
Will go chinese carbon if i cant buy a alloy one
American Classic have a 29.3mm internal width alloy rim called the Wide Lightning. Pushys distribute them. They are meant to be pretty decent.

moman

Likes Dirt
Easton arc comes in 24mm, 27 and 30.

They also do the same rim as a wheelset call heist but they are 28 hole.

madstace

Likes Dirt
Syntace..... The end
...of your bank balance :pound: In all seriousness, very nice wheels, mate runs them and they ooze quality, freehub sounds fantastic too. But for the price, a set of chinese carbons is worth considering, not just for the width factor, but also for the stiffness and the fact you'll barely need to touch them after the initial break in period.

Having said that, I'd like to try the Easton Arcs to at least see how they compare.

redbruce

Eats Squid
But for the price, a set of chinese carbons is worth considering, not just for the width factor, but also for the stiffness and the fact you'll barely need to touch them after the initial break in period.
Maintenance (or lack therof) post initial break in (or even build) is a function of how well the wheels were built in the first place, not what rim (or otherwise) material was used.

My AC Wide lightnings (29) and DT XR 1450 (26) wheels have required zero maintenance post build let alone after "initial break in".

As for carbon versus Al for rims, both have pro's and con's so factor best fitness for purpose in decision.

"Aluminum and carbon fiber are good rim choices. I like aluminum for mountain bike applications because aluminum is “ductile,” meaning it will bend without breaking. This is great for MTB because you hit things when you ride and sometimes you hit things very hard that can cause rim damage. Aluminum is forgiving and it is better priced for riders to replace them when they have a mishap." http://www.pinkbike.com/news/To-the-Point-Bill-Shook-on-Wheel-Building-and-Wide-Rims.html

" They (AC Wide Lightnings) were designed as an XC rim that would ‘plump up’ a smaller tire to have more volume, allowing for a racer to get ‘more’ tire for less weight, but they are good even on a trail bike as long as you keep it within reason. But if you are in a situation where rocks and hard rim strikes on the rim wall and the bead area are a real certainty, then the Wide Lightning might begin to show some dings and such. So if we were looking for a wide rim that is still light enough to be fun and yet be very tough for impacts and overall wheel stiffness, then stepping up to the American Classic Carbonator might be just the ticket. According to Bill Shook at AC, the American Classic Carbonator carbon rim was intended for something like Enduro or more aggressive trail riding."
http://twentynineinches.com/2015/09/21/american-classic-carbonator-29-out-of-the-box/

Last edited:

FoxRidersCo

Sanity is not statistical
Wow. That bad?
Yeah the wider the rim the easier to flatspot...

It didn't help that the early spank stuff was made very cheaply by a low quality Taiwanese manufacturer, Spank has since improved in quality and they now have some experienced people in their R&D/Design department.

I use to run Sun Rims Doublewide's which were 46mm wide and they took severe punishment and never faulted until I hucked a 15ft flight of stairs to flat on the hardtail and squared them off... ah the good old days

They only weighed 1Kg each :bounce: