Best SUV?

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt
Oh I forgot, the Mitsubishi Outlander is a pretty solid pretend off roader, I think the 11-12 model was the only one that didn't look like a shmishmortion, they also have a drop down tailgate which is pretty cool for throwing bike tools on or looking super ENDURO when putting your kneepads and shoes on.
would a Subaru Outback be good enough? The manual ones have a proper low range box which is pretty handy and if you get a 6cyl they have a timing chain which lasts a fairly long time.
If you do for some reason look at Rav4's make sure it will tow what you want to tow as they had a 500kg limit for quite a while. I don't know much about X-Trails but I don't really trust Nissan, they do sneaky things on critical areas to save a few bucks and it can end up with engines that go boom, simplex timing chain on Navaras and the trusty old ZD30 grenade in Patrols can be costly things.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
Forester.

Saw a CRV blow up today on the way home from work. I'm not sure sure what happened, but enough smoke blew out the exhaust that it looked like a house fire from 100 meters away. It was a 2015 model. Anecdotal... but it sure put me off.

Shredden

Knows his goats
Get a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8.

Do anything it takes even if you have to sell the house. Fark they are awesome.

scblack

Leucocholic
Its mostly the incompatible hardpoints. They're getting better in this regard, but when an SUV hits a car sideon they hit above the intrusion bars and strong parts of the car and come inthrough the window.

In a head on, they ride up over the crumple zones again short circuiting thesafety structures. They're safe for occupants, but at the direct expense ofother people.

What utter crap.

You are confusing what we are terming an SUV, with large 4WD's. Large 4WD's are the Prado, Pajero, Hilux sized vehicles.

SUV's - Forester, CRV, Tucson, X-Trail are basically all little different to a mid sized wagon, except with maybe 100mm-150mm more ground clearance. 150mm extra ground clearance is NOT going to raise any impact point above intrusion bars or run over the bonnet of a sedan. SUV's generally do not have bullbars as the hard points you are talking about.

jarrod839

Banned
Crv

My wife has a 2007 honda crv (luxury edition) and its being a awesome car coming up now on 150,000km.
We purchased it second hand when we were in Townsville and its traveled pretty much up the whole east coast and never let us down.
They are cheap to service unless something needs replacing then that's when they get expensive.
Highly recommended if buying second hand to buy one with a full service history that has been carried out by honda.then its safe to bet that the crv's comman problems have been fixed.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie

What utter crap.

You are confusing what we are terming an SUV, with large 4WD's. Large 4WD's are the Prado, Pajero, Hilux sized vehicles.

SUV's - Forester, CRV, Tucson, X-Trail are basically all little different to a mid sized wagon, except with maybe 100mm-150mm more ground clearance. 150mm extra ground clearance is NOT going to raise any impact point above intrusion bars or run over the bonnet of a sedan. SUV's generally do not have bullbars as the hard points you are talking about.
100mm-150mm might not cause the intrusion bars to be ineffective, but certainly less effective.

Haakon

Keeps on digging

What utter crap.

No, not crap. And who said anything about bullbars?

But as I said, things are improving. Most recent SUVs will have the hard points (this is the essentially the ends of the chassis rail and the connecting beam that is behind the bumper assembly) lower or have a secondary beam to improve compatibility.

But that 150mm can make more of a difference to the survivability of an impact than you might think...

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just throwing the Territory on the list, they are a bit thirsty and heavy, but they drive pretty well and not too many bits fall off. Room for bikes and gear and pretty comfy. The also seem to be plummeting in value a bit... Have a Turbo and its a bit of a sleeper.

Last edited:

Anthony B

Likes Dirt
Easy answer RAV4 or a forester

I have a bias to the forester own a sh9 s-edition absolutely love it, punches above its weight in performance fits my DH bike & gear. Tripped from Syd to Bright in Vic with 3 guys, 2 bikes, & a boot full of gear. Has since done shuttles at stromlo & loved it.

The RAV4 is Toyota reliable & hold resale value, the v6 option is the best bet.

I can shit all over the other options but won't, just give one warning stay away from European & stay away from common rail diesel.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Just go and drive a bunch of options, even the left field ones. A bit of time behind the wheel will quickly sort out which ones you like and those you don't.

You'll lose a couple of weekends driving around car yards until you've narrowed down which one, then another couple finding the right example of your chosen steed. But its time well spent, its still a lot of money to end up with something thats a bit meh.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Another vote for the Subie camp, but if it's room to chuck a bike or two or sleep in that you want, go the longer Liberty-based Outback rather than the Forester, which is derived from the Impreza underpinnings, so is a tad short. Later models (~'10-ish onwards) I think have turfed the low-range transfer case, which was only found in manual 'boxes, and the 6-cyl. sadly was never offered with the manual. The head gasket thing I think only applies to pre-'04 or thereabouts 2.5-litre engines, the others are pretty bombproof. Timing belt services are a bit on the expensive side, because the boxer layout means a fucking long belt. Models with DOHC heads ('96-'98 2.5L, so outside your search anyway) are worse.

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt
Yeah I'd like a diesel. Will check em out too. Not scared to buy Euro if one comes up.

Why diesel? They have almost all the electrical reliability issues of a petrol and cost more to purchase and maintain, if you went diesel with a traditional auto box that would be the best way to go but I would still go petrol. I worked as a diesel mech for a while and I don't think any of the guys I worked with at either place drive diesels, actually I lie, one had a diesel Patrol but he was about to add gas to that for more oomph.

ianganderton

Likes Dirt
We are picking up our new Outback tomorrow. Diesel, manual. Hoping we've made the right choice after a rack of research. Should be able to get bikes inside vertically with the wheels off but without messing with the dropper posts

Hoping to make up something along these lines

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Why diesel? They have almost all the electrical reliability issues of a petrol and cost more to purchase and maintain, if you went diesel with a traditional auto box that would be the best way to go but I would still go petrol. I worked as a diesel mech for a while and I don't think any of the guys I worked with at either place drive diesels, actually I lie, one had a diesel Patrol but he was about to add gas to that for more oomph.
I have a 2.5ltr Turbo VW van, goes like a shower of shit for what it is Yeah I know, no restrictions ha ha. and uses sweet F A fuel.
Same with an Exs VW Diesel Golf.
But yeah, hear the diesel mechanic wont own diesel thing pretty often.
Loved my 2ltr Forrester GT, but drank like a mofo. I do have a heavy right foot, but never made the VW diesels drink to excess.
I'd get either really.

stirk

Burner
My diesel has only one wire which can stop it running once it's is. Just saying.