Destroyed my XX1 derailleur... now what?

shhhteve

Likes Dirt
ok my XX1 is pretty much gone... its lived a hard life and now its on the way out...

my question is.... do i buy another XX1 derailleur or do i get a GX?

i am just finding it hard to justify spending double on essiently the same bit
or am i missing something...

i know the weight difference...
but is that really it?

i dont want to spend money on a GX and then take it for a spin and go... shit... that was a bad investment....

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
ok my XX1 is pretty much gone... its lived a hard life and now its on the way out...

but is that really it?

i dont want to spend money on a GX and then take it for a spin and go... shit... that was a bad investment....
Obviously XX1 was the first release of the 11 speed SRAM stuff. Personally, I couldnt justify a $200+ premium over GX regardless of a tiny downgrade in performance.
The crispness is in the shifter anyway, the contact point of the bike.

Technically I dont know the difference....morally I do. GX for the win.

shhhteve

Likes Dirt
Obviously XX1 was the first release of the 11 speed SRAM stuff. Personally, I couldnt justify a $200+ premium over GX regardless of a tiny downgrade in performance.

agree with everything you said....

im thinking GX

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Pretty much the same argument with XTR vs XT. If you want to race competitively and every gram is worth something then XX1 it is. If you are in the other 99% of the mountain biking fraternity then GX, no question.

John U

MTB Precision
Weight difference and performance difference between the 2 would be imperceptible to everyone. The only way you could tell a difference between them would be putting them on set of very sensitive scales side by side.

Don't put them on a scale, save your dough and blow it on a big night out on the piss. It's xmas after all.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge

I'm with stoopid ^

The difference between levels on the 1x11 stuff is mainly materials, and therefore weight. I have a GX PG1150 cassette, and at less than 1/2 the price of the 1175, the only difference is the 42t is steel rather than alloy (which I prefer for longevity) and a short piss worth of weight.

The GX mech is obviously cheaper materials, but the weight is bugger all difference. As JT said, the shifter dictates the feel of the shift, and the mechs pretty much operate identically. I'm running XX1 shifter, X1 mech and 1150 cassette, and its all working beautifully together. You might even be able to find the older type 2 X1 at a good price, I got mine a few months ago, on sale at $175.

Edit:

X1 type 2.1 $205 at jensen

GX $120 at ubyk

Last edited:

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I've been eyeing off gx too. My only reservation with the GX derailleur is the clutch housing, is it plastic or aluminium? If you compare x9 to xo, the plastic x9 is inferior, the inner face isn't perfectly round due to molding vs casting/machining.

Jeffgre_6163

Likes Dirt
Forget the cost for a minute
Lets assume that the OP's bike came with the complete XX1 group set when it was new. He [like a lot of us] would have paid a premium price for a premium bike.
Now lets assume that now that the derailleur is stuffed you put a GX on it, a drop in component level of 2[?] levels but it still works.
What happens when the carbon XX1 cranks cop one to many rock strikes and they die, or the SRAM Guide Ultimates get smashed in a crash and the front brake needs replacing? or the std carbon Roval [E.G.] rims get smashed? Do you dumb those down as well because you don't want to stump up the cash for a tiny increase in performance?

In this scenario in a few short years your once top of the line MTB has become a mismatched Frankenbike

For me it is not only about performance but also pride of ownership
Personally I will NEVER dumb my bike down - if you cant afford like for like replacements, think about whether you really can afford that top of the line bike in the first place.
After all you wouldn't replace the broken strap on a Rolex with a Big W special

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Lets assume that the OP's bike came with the complete XX1 group set when it was new. He [like a lot of us] would have paid a premium price for a premium bike.
Now lets assume that now that the derailleur is stuffed you put a GX on it, a drop in component level of 2[?] levels but it still works.
What happens when the carbon XX1 cranks cop one to many rock strikes and they die, or the SRAM Guide Ultimates get smashed in a crash and the front brake needs replacing? or the std carbon Roval [E.G.] rims get smashed? Do you dumb those down as well because you don't want to stump up the cash for a tiny increase in performance?

In this scenario in a few short years your once top of the line MTB has become a mismatched Frankenbike

Personally I will NEVER dumb my bike down - if you cant afford like for like replacements, think about whether you really can afford that top of the line bike in the first place.
It's 3 levels.
OP doesn't seem to have the wank factor, for want of a better term, hence the question
OP has an [expensive] history with breaking high end parts
Would you buy a 30¢ Bic or a $2000 Mont Blanc to write out you shopping list, when they do the same job with little to no perceivable performance difference?
When they're mangled on a rock, they even look identical.

Kind_cir

Likes Dirt

but is that really it?

Could still be ok.
Have you tried turning it off and back on again ?

teK--

Eats Squid

Each to their own.

Just because you can afford to buy a bike with XX1 doesn't mean you can afford to buy replacement same for same parts at retail. Derailleurs like tyres, bearings, and rims are consumables; the more you replace the more you would seek value for money unless you have an unlimited budget.

if I bought a bike with xx1 I would seriously consider changing the crankset (or at least the NDS side arm) for alloy.

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you're breaking them, by all means go cheap as they won't last long
The cheaper materials in the gx will flog out well before the xx1, and the shift wont be as crisp for as long. Mate has 15yo xtr still running strong, i smashed mine at 10y and the cost of replacement parts (the inner cage) was more than a new mech.

stirk

Burner

Do you go over the bars much?

Buy a top of the range bike and skimp a bit on component replacement does not mean the bike is gong to end up being crap. Like for like is a tight rope and not worth crying about especially if you bring different brands into the equation!

udi

swiss cheese
Don't worry, the owner of this bike is definitely a Big W special. He loves adding weight to his bike and loves low-end parts.

We affectionally call him "low-end shteve".

pharmaboy

Eats Squid

but is that really it?

Dude, what's wrong with the deraileur?

I've got an xx1 with a bent cage, it's surplus as I changed over to shimano , so if it's jockey wheels, or Spring, etc maybe it can be brought back up to spec with parts.

When I bent mine, I just looked at the prices versus shimano and couldn't remotely justify the price difference so just swapped over. Having had a look at xx1 and the Gx , there is no way on this earth, there is even $15 difference in manufacture cost between them - on that basis, I'm not buying products to justify the CEOs $2m salary.....

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast

^^^ this guy............... :wacko:

scblack

Leucocholic

Wow, so you're saying:
GX = Dumb
XX1 = Intelligent

Frankenbike. Interesting concept. You do know on DH bikes a very standard approach for years has been to have X0 shifter with X9 derailleur. Do you want to know why? Because it costs less, and has exactly ZERO negative effect on performance. Are they all mismatched frankenbikes that have been dumbed down? No, its not dumbed down. I did it. Its called cost effectiveness, managing the same performance level for a reduced cost.

You know what? Most riders are concerned about the PERFORMANCE of their bikes, not being worried about their own perceived wank factor of every single component being of the same group level.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse

Or he could buy GX off Chops for close to the same money as XX1.

shhhteve

Likes Dirt
thanks for the replies...
i think i will go with the GX option...

i think money wise its the smarter option and i have an XX1 shifter so it should feel just as nice...

i do like the status of having an XX1 derailleur.... but cant justify over twice the price....
would rather put that money towards carbon bars

Don't worry, the owner of this bike is definitely a Big W special. He loves adding weight to his bike and loves low-end parts.

We affectionally call him "low-end shteve".
should just buy all X5 gear i reckon... why not....

Dude, what's wrong with the deraileur?

I've got an xx1 with a bent cage, it's surplus as I changed over to shimano , so if it's jockey wheels, or Spring, etc maybe it can be brought back up to spec with parts.

When I bent mine, I just looked at the prices versus shimano and couldn't remotely justify the price difference so just swapped over. Having had a look at xx1 and the Gx , there is no way on this earth, there is even $15 difference in manufacture cost between them - on that basis, I'm not buying products to justify the CEOs $2m salary.....
the derailleurs clutch feel well gone....
its clunky and just feels wrong....

its taken some pretty big hits and i have broken the lockout button clean off....
and therefore on big hucks it hyperextends and stays locked... till i snap it back...

i will keep it as spares....
so my plan was to get a new one... keep the one i have for spares....
so if i get a GX... then my XX1 will be used for spare parts