Stumpjumper FSR S-Works - Coiled Goodness

Z

Zaf

So for those who don't know, I bought an ex test 2014 Stumpjumper FSR EVO S-Works earlier in the year, and cracked the seat tube above the main pivot a few months after.
Specialized, in their glory, replaced it with a 2016 Stumpy S-Works, which was damned lucky on my part, because I got ex-test prices for a brand new bike.

Anyway, the bike is now build up, barring a few more bits and pieces coming for it. Namely a chainguide when I find a good deal, the SWAT toolkit and EMT shock mount (didn't come with the frame), a Monarch Plus (on it's way) and SlikGraphics fork decals to match (on their way).

Frame 2016 Stumpjumper FSR S-WORKS 29er Large
Fork: Rockshox Pike RCT3 140mm, 3 tokens, 90PSI, 4clicks LSC, 6 clicks out rebound
Shock:Currently the stock Fox Float CTD BV Autosag, but there is a Rockshox Monarch Plus 2016 on it's way from Germany as we speak.​
Wheels
Hubs: Hope Pro 2 EVO 15/142, 36h
Rims: Light Bicycle 38mm Hookless AM, 36h, 3k Matte, black decals
Spokes: DT Swiss Champion PG, Brass Nipples, black
Tyres: Maxxis Minion DHF and SS in 2.3 EXO, TR, 3C/Silkworm​
Drivetrain
Crank: Specialized S-Works 175mm
Chainring: Garbaruk Oval 32t Narrow/Wide
Derailleur: Shimano M9000 XTR 11spd
Shifter: Shimano M9000 XTR 11spd
Cassette: Shimano M8000 XT 11-42t
Chain: KMC 11 speed
Pedals: Shimano M985 XT Trailwide
Bottom Bracket: Specialized PF30 Ceramic
Chainguide: none atm, but ISCG 05 tabs on frame.​
Brakes
Levers: Shimano M9020 XTR Trail Servo Wave
Calipers: Shimano M9020 XTR Trail
Pads: Shimano M9020 sintered Finned
Rotors: Shimano Ice-Tech 6-bolt 203mm/180mm​
Cockpit
Handlebars: Easton Havoc Carbon 35, 800mm
Stem: Easton Haven 35, 40mm
Seatpost: Specialized Command Post IR, 125mm, 3 position
Saddle: Charge Spoon
Grips: ODI X-Treme

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Order a Specialized top guide. Nice and small and cheap to boot!
Why do people even bother with chainguides these days?

With a clutched derailleur and a narrow-wide chainring guides are redundant, needless weight and just an additional part to malfunction...., and cost you money to own.

moorey

call me Mia

With a clutched derailleur and a narrow-wide chainring guides are redundant, needless weight and just an additional part to malfunction...., and cost you money to own.
One word. Hacks.

Z

Zaf

Was actually thinking of it more for the lower bash guard. The chain rings have a large tooth profile and cost me $100 a pop as well as $84 got the tool to be able to direct mount them (that needs to get rolled into the cost of it and subsequent rings).
Given the amount of rocks out here, I wouldn't think it would be a terrible idea to spend half that to try and protect it a little more, if I can find them... That said... Its yet to be a problem with any of the other bikes. So maybe it is a waste.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
the spesh guide is good. very minimal and easily flips for chain/crank removal.

given the rocky terrain you ride, which is pretty similar to my local, it's ~50 grams i'm willing to accept on a 13+ kg bike.

the garbaruk rings really do have a massive tooth height though.

most important question though, what can you fit in the swat door? :lol:

Rider_of_Bikes

Likes Dirt

cheap, light weight insurance.

Z

Zaf

given the rocky terrain you ride, which is pretty similar to my local, it's ~50 grams i'm willing to accept on a 13+ kg bike.

most important question though, what can you fit in the swat door?
Haha! Shove stuff I the SWAT door time, photograph results!

I might also take the chance to say that the cable routing on this thing is stunning! Full length tubes that you just feed it through and wait for it to pop out the other end.

Let me go find stuff to put in the box.

I have the power!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt

most important question though, what can you fit in the swat door? :lol:
I still don't get why they need the side bits, if the chain can't bounce up it can't come off. Also if mine ever seems to drop it comes off the bottom, but that is only when something is munted or needs adjustng and that's on an AM hardtail.

EDIT- I understand you need a bit of room for suspension movement, but do you need as much as in the pic?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
go ride a proper rocky trail (and not like a girl, ala moorey). i've had the chain come off once or twice with a NW ring and clutched mech.. that's once or twice more than i want.
I've ridden all sorts of trails - including constant rock gardens disguised as trails - and haven't dropped a chain in almost 3 years.

I've been pretty shocked at how reliable the combo is and I still find it difficult to believe now. But, 3 years of riding like a hack on a plow and I'm yet to drop anything other than my bundle. Can't see me buying a guide again until that changes.

Z

Zaf

I've dropped two chains since going narrow wide. One of them after popping off a curb and really smashed my leg on the handlebars when I went to put some well into them.
That sucked! The other was after a set of steps near a storm water drain.

But as I said, I like the idea of a bash guard to protect the chainring, the oval nature of it makes it hard to get a chain guide for anyway, at least from a top Mount perspective.

teK--

Eats Squid
go ride a proper rocky trail (and not like a girl, ala moorey). i've had the chain come off once or twice with a NW ring and clutched mech.. that's once or twice more than i want.
This

If not drop chains (without a guide) then not riding hard enough