Intense Carbine29 '15 build complete, pics page 7!

ScooterXC

Likes Dirt
She doonneee, pics on page 7!!

Yep, time to start a new project, had fun building and rebuilding my Turner but it's time to try something new!
I previously owned a Intense Hard Eddie and totally loved the thing so decided to jump back on the Intense bandwagon and managed to scoop up the last XL Carbine29 frame in Aus! Stoaked!

Going to swap shocks with my dad (off one of my old bikes) so will have a CCDB air climb switch instead of the inline.
Going (almost) all out on this one
Full XX1 drivetrain :star:
Rockshox Lyrik dual pos 160-130mm fork :star:, to match the adjustable 140-125mm rear travel
Rockshox Reverb stealth dropper
Zelvy Carbon 29 rims (the wide ones) laced to Project321 G2 hubs (120 point engagement and a boss buzz)
Probably Raceface Next Carbon 35 bars:star:/Turbine or Easton Haven stem
Saint brakes:star:! 180mm Ice Tech rotors
My wide ass Specialized seat for my wide ass:star:
Probably Maxxis Ardent 2.4 for general riding and HR2 2.wide and DH casing for enduro duties
Looking for Problem Solvers mismatch or TrickStuff matshi adapters to run XX1 shifter direct mount to Saint brake lever as I haven't been able to get them to sit where I want..
Probably forgotten something but I'll be updating throughout the build
If anyone wants to help out all bikes in my signature will be for sale excluding the NS, just to find this project..

PS. :star: means in my possession or currently in transit

Last edited:

iUDEX_nCr

Likes Dirt
woohoo! new bike build!

Love that orange, looks even better in real life.

What's the issue with XTR brakes that you've had?

ScooterXC

Likes Dirt
New build project! Intense Carbine29 '15

The colour is so amazing, I loved it in pics before I got to see it in the flesh.. The build quality is insane too, rivals that of my dads Turner Czar, which I would consider one of the best built Carbon frames I've seen
Almost to nice to ride, almost ;)
Re: XTR, I had the Race brakes with 180mm Ice Tech rotors & finned pads and they still overheated on not overly long runs, lost power and things got scary.. Never had that issue with Zee, even in France doing Megavalanche

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What a lovely looking frame. The build sounds super stocky so you're looking at a winner for all trail action.
Keen to hear / see more when she's built. :^)

ScooterXC

Likes Dirt
Been looking for something a bit more trail-able than a full blown enduro rig so hoping the short travel mode + carbon + 29er should suit :)
And the ability to shred in long travel mode, this is all theory atm until I actually get it built haha

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Been looking for something a bit more trail-able than a full blown enduro rig so hoping the short travel mode + carbon + 29er should suit :)
And the ability to shred in long travel mode, this is all theory atm until I actually get it built haha
What have you done with the turner?

ScooterXC

Likes Dirt

First change, Cane Creek DBair Climb Switch
A bottle will be almost impossible to fit which I'm a little disappointed with but I decided I would rather the performance of a DBair over the Inline
It will take the absolute most exact specs of a cage to fit a bottle in which of the 5 different ones I had in the shed, none worked.. A couple were soooo close but just slightly wrong, and would be better with a side mount..

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt

First change, Cane Creek DBair Climb Switch
A bottle will be almost impossible to fit which I'm a little disappointed with but I decided I would rather the performance of a DBair over the Inline
It will take the absolute most exact specs of a cage to fit a bottle in which of the 5 different ones I had in the shed, none worked.. A couple were soooo close but just slightly wrong, and would be better with a side mount..
I'm watching this with interest. That's going to be a lovely looking bike.
and the shock change is a solid choice. Getting a side loading bottle cage is a small price to pay. :^)

ScooterXC

Likes Dirt
I forgot to save a photo of the minimal clearance available for a bottle, going to have to find a fellow Carbine owner in XL with this shock and has a bottle cage that fits haha

Z

Zaf

Get the Saint brakes! I've got them on my Yeti, and the Zees that were on it jumped over to my Honzo, but the Saints are just a better product.
I know they're both solid, and they should both be the same performance wise, but I have had issues with the Zees having a longer take up on the lever before the contact point, hasn't been resolved with bleeding.

Not to mention, if you go all out with the rest of the build then have budget brakes it looks weird!

Nice bike, I'll be interested to hear how it rides, a lot of reviews say it's HMAS Carbine.
Really not sure if the name is ironic yet.

Minlak

custom titis
Get the Hope Brakes they are re-buildable and ridiculously good. Also not every numpty has them like XT's or Saints......

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Get the Hope Brakes they are re-buildable and ridiculously good. Also not every numpty has them like XT's or Saints......
This is not even a choice...., its a given.
Hopes have unquestionably the best build quality, stopping power, modulation and feel of any brakes on the market*

They're expensive, but worth the premium over shitmano Saint/Zee/XTR/SLX/XT any day.

(*bias opinions are subject to personal preference)

ScooterXC

Likes Dirt
Trust me I've been dreaming of Hope brakes for years but just cannot justify the price tag.. I know the build is somewhat expensive but it's also got personal preference parts. I've owned Saint & Zee brakes before and know they both work amazing. I'll have to see how much I can get for my other bikes before I make a decision. Saints do look so much nicer than Zee..

Minlak

custom titis
Trust me I've been dreaming of Hope brakes for years but just cannot justify the price tag.. I know the build is somewhat expensive but it's also got personal preference parts. I've owned Saint & Zee brakes before and know they both work amazing. I'll have to see how much I can get for my other bikes before I make a decision. Saints do look so much nicer than Zee..
People argue about Sram and Shimano brakes all the time. This one is better no this one is but you never seem to see people argue over hope. It is always the same thing Cost$$$. I say this not to guilt you into Hope's just an observation that this is always the deciding factor. The bike will be great with Saint's or Zee's but you did ask for opinions :)

ScooterXC

Likes Dirt
People argue about Sram and Shimano brakes all the time. This one is better no this one is but you never seem to see people argue over hope. It is always the same thing Cost$$$. I say this not to guilt you into Hope's just an observation that this is always the deciding factor. The bike will be great with Saint's or Zee's but you did ask for opinions :)
I've tried justifying the price for sure
If anyone wants to donate to the "Ryan should have Hope Race E4 brakes on his Carbine" fund I'll be more than happy to receive ;) haha

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
I've tried justifying the price for sure
If anyone wants to donate to the "Ryan should have Hope Race E4 brakes on his Carbine" fund I'll be more than happy to receive ;) haha
$390 for Saints..... $480 for E4's....

$90 difference....