Food Recipe: Gluten free schnitzeled chicken

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I realised as I was preparing this recipe today, 3 years ago it saved me from a gluten hell after I acknowledged my illness after collapsing in a heap, and thought I should share ( but stupidly didn't take photos ). While recovering I ate this with salad very regularly.

Ingredients:
Chicken ( I prefer thigh ) 400 grams
Rice flower half cup
Gluten free bread crumbs. 2 cups
Paprika ( I prefer sweet Hungarian )
Eggs x 3
Parmesan cheese 150 grams
Parsley

Method:
Beat eggs
Dice chicken
Place chicken in bag with rice flower, shake till all chicken is coated. Drop into a strainer to remove excess rice flower, shaking it all about over the sink. Mix bread crumbs, paprika, cheese and parsley in a bowl. Ratios are a personal thing, I love paprika and will use 50 grams easily. Likewise for parsley.
Using two sets of tongs, dip a handful of chicken in the eggs. Remove and drop into the crumb mixture. Stir the crumb mixture all about with second set of tongs and then place on a plate.

Fry in frying pan on med heat or freeze and fry later. Technique will dictate the crumbling volume required.

You can skip the dicing of the chicken and coat fillets, I found I had to repeat the egg and crumb coating on the fillets to get the ratio of crumb to fillet ok.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
I realised as I was preparing this recipe today, 3 years ago it saved me from a gluten hell after I acknowledged my illness after collapsing in a heap, and thought I should share ( but stupidly didn't take photos ). While recovering I ate this with salad very regularly.
Diagnosed with Celiacs disease?

redbruce

Eats Squid

Ingredients:
Chicken ( I prefer thigh ) 400 grams
Rice flower half cup
Gluten free bread crumbs. 2 cups
Paprika ( I prefer sweet Hungarian )
Eggs x 3
Parmesan cheese 150 grams
Parsley

Method:
Beat eggs
Dice chicken
Place chicken in bag with rice flower, shake till all chicken is coated. Drop into a strainer to remove excess rice flower, shaking it all about over the sink. Mix bread crumbs, paprika, cheese and parsley in a bowl. Ratios are a personal thing, I love paprika and will use 50 grams easily. Likewise for parsley.
Using two sets of tongs, dip a handful of chicken in the eggs. Remove and drop into the crumb mixture. Stir the crumb mixture all about with second set of tongs and then place on a plate.

Fry in frying pan on med heat or freeze and fry later. Technique will dictate the crumbling volume required.

You can skip the dicing of the chicken and coat fillets, I found I had to repeat the egg and crumb coating on the fillets to get the ratio of crumb to fillet ok.
Thanks.

Generally have at least one coeliac in my Scout Troop at a given time and always scratching to provide a suitable, and hopefully similar meal to rest of Troop, to them.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Thanks.

Generally have at least one coeliac in my Scout Troop at a given time and always scratching to provide a suitable, and hopefully similar meal to rest of Troop, to them.
Awww you're a nice Scout leader.

Preventing contamination from gluten on the prep surfaces, frying pan, butter/margarine, etc is a PITA. Camping/hiking with my mates is a challenge.

My last good exposure was the sister in law dipping a vegemite coated knife into my margarine, but I'm at the extreme end of intolerance.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
like everything there is a spectrum, for many it is little more then a trend, for the top few % where it is a medical issue, it's close to life and death. December 2012 I sure felt dead.

Sorry I should have used one of minlak's llamas. Sarcasm doesn't always present well.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Thanks.

Easy solution...just cook stuff that doesn't have gluten in it. No I'm not being a smart arse this time. Skip anything processed and cook (mostly) from scratch. And no packets. Never ever ever.

My go to sweet for gluten free is poached fruit - firm fruit of choice (apples, pears, peach etc), wine/brandy/schnapps/water, cinnamon stick, orange zest, and sugar if youre soft. Serve with pure cream.

For schnitzels I'm partial to desiccated coconut. Though not a universal flavour.

With big groups of younger eaters it is Mexican all the way. Some kind of meaty bean tomato mix served on rice. You'll be surprised how many unfamiliar vegetables you can sneak into such a meal. Especially with the old cheese camouflage.

One of my lady friends a few years ago used to make a killer gluten free pizza base blending cauliflower and yoghurt (I think).

Thomas11

Likes Dirt
Easy solution...just cook stuff that doesn't have gluten in it. No I'm not being a smart arse this time. Skip anything processed and cook (mostly) from scratch. And no packets. Never ever ever.

My go to sweet for gluten free is poached fruit - firm fruit of choice (apples, pears, peach etc), wine/brandy/schnapps/water, cinnamon stick, orange zest, and sugar if youre soft. Serve with pure cream.

For schnitzels I'm partial to desiccated coconut. Though not a universal flavour.

With big groups of younger eaters it is Mexican all the way. Some kind of meaty bean tomato mix served on rice. You'll be surprised how many unfamiliar vegetables you can sneak into such a meal. Especially with the old cheese camouflage.

One of my lady friends a few years ago used to make a killer gluten free pizza base blending cauliflower and yoghurt (I think).
Spag bol is a good one for big groups also.
Just cooking up a big load of sauce. Very easy to make GF.
Then just have 2 pots, one for regular pasta, and another for GF pasta.

My misses is a diagnosed silly-yak so Im also pretty experienced in GF cooking, as I like to cook so have had to learn the GF way.
The improvements in GF pasta has been very noticeable over the 6 years since she was diagnosed, to the point where its hard to tell the difference (if you cook it correctly that is).

We also do a lot of Mexican, because the hard corn taco shells are GF.

If you can be bothered stirring for 40 minutes, risotto is another good easy enough large based meal for a GF option, just make sure you use a GF stock as some arn't.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
If you can be bothered stirring for 40 minutes, risotto is another good easy enough large based meal for a GF option, just make sure you use a GF stock as some arn't.
If you stir your risotto that much it will come out a gluggy mess. No point making something gluten free if it's inedible.

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
Your patrols don't feed themselves? Meal planning and shopping were always important parts of camp preparation for us.

Thomas11

Likes Dirt
If you stir your risotto that much it will come out a gluggy mess. No point making something gluten free if it's inedible.
Not sure how you make your risotto, but each to their own, I gently stir on and off for pretty much the whole cooking time, and it does not turn into a gluggy mess at all.
In-fact I actually quite rate my risotto against what I have eaten elsewhere, both other peoples and restaurants.

Spiny Norman

Likes Bikes
Spag bol is a good one for big groups also.
Just cooking up a big load of sauce. Very easy to make GF.
Then just have 2 pots, one for regular pasta, and another for GF pasta.
Look up "Zucchini noodles" or zoodles. It's just zucchini sliced into spirals. It tastes way, way better than it sounds.

Another one to look up is cauliflower rice. It's as simple as chopping cauliflower into rice size bits and whack into the microwave for several minutes. Again, it tastes way, way better than it sounds.

If anyone is interested in the effects of wheat\gluten, have a read of "Wheat Belly" or "Grain Brain". I hardly touch the stuff these days. I'm not a silly Yak, but if I eat too much I bloat up and then get an awful post nasal drip that causes uncontrollable coughing. It only took me 30 years to figure it out. :mmph:

Freediver

I can go full Karen
Arborio rice of course, add the stock very slowly and not until the rice is just about to start sticking because it has soaked up the last lot. You get a much better texture if you don't stir. I made a lot of bad ones before I got taught how. I can't order them at restaurants anymore because everyone sucks at making them.

redbruce

Eats Squid
schnitzeling is to cut thinly. this is a recipe for crumbed chicken.
Its actually to tenderize by pounding to thin. Applies to any meat, and yes, is missing the violence (but I knew that and would apply in any case).

Last edited: