[VIC] Wombat Classic Sat 5 Mar 2016

MJG

Likes Dirt
Blurb below from our club's website: http://www.wombatmtb.com.au/events/wombat-classic

On the 5th of March 2016 you will have the opportunity to race the inaugural Wombat Classic. The Wombat Mountain Bike club is proud to present what will become one of the best races in the country. With the demise of the Wombat 100 we felt the need to continue with a race using the same tracks that a lot of you have come to know and love. The big change is that its only going to be 50km and feature all the great sections of single track and none of the boring fire roads. The Wombat Loop, Distillery, Tardis and Leaf Litter are all included. Expect to race a 5km start loop and then 45km of single track with only short fire road sections.

So regardless of whether you are a gun that wants to win or you just want to do a great ride with a bunch of mates come out for one of the best MTB experiences that a very small amount of money can buy.

With a crazy cheap price of $40 until the New Year enter now and we will keep you up to date with everything you will need to know over the next couple of months.

Entries through entryzone:
http://bit.ly/WombatClassic

Last edited:

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
know its early stages of planning etc, but things for kids to do etc?

Looks good 7hr drive for me but need an adventure just got to make sure the tag-a-longs have something to keep them occupied for the 3-4 hours I will be riding!

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
good one, will enter.

would be even more excited if started in town, up mt macedon climb via back roads, then into wombat single track.

John U

MTB Precision
Actually, just remembered my 10th wedding anniversary is the day before. We'll have to see how that discussion goes.

MJG

Likes Dirt
know its early stages of planning etc, but things for kids to do etc?

Looks good 7hr drive for me but need an adventure just got to make sure the tag-a-longs have something to keep them occupied for the 3-4 hours I will be riding!
We're planning on offering a free-entry short (up to say 10 km) race for kids 15 and under. If that's too daunting then there's a pretty good kids playground in Woodend that should keep them amused for at least an hour or so.

MJG

Likes Dirt
good one, will enter.

would be even more excited if started in town, up mt macedon climb via back roads, then into wombat single track.
Yes, it would be a fun course (and likely too difficult for many), but logistically this would be too onerous for our small number of club volunteers to manage. Crossing lots of heads-down-tails-up riders safely over Black Forest Drive is pretty much impossible, and then there's the problem of getting everyone back to Woodend where their cars are parked...lots of fire road that most people dislike.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yes agree with what you've said 100%, just something bugs me about some mtb events these days and why the wombat 100, the wombat 24 didn't get the numbers to sustain themselves.

I'd hate to think this event would suffer the same fate with all the effort required to stage it etc -.

of course this event might not be going for just numbers more quality, great single track experience etc. understand that, still good numbers would be nice for atmosphere and bringing visitors to area.

Big Tim

Likes Dirt
I'm interested. I loved the Wombat race. Was my favorite, good atmosphere, great tracks, a beer at the end. Did I mention the beer at the end.

Sorry to see the 100 go. If this is the replacement then I think I'm interested.

Well done to the club for having a crack. I hope its successful for you.

Good luck guys.

MJG

Likes Dirt
Blurb below from our club's website: http://www.wombatmtb.com.au/events/wombat-classic

On the 5th of March 2016 you will have the opportunity to race the inaugural Wombat Classic. The Wombat Mountain Bike club is proud to present what will become one of the best races in the country. With the demise of the Wombat 100 we felt the need to continue with a race using the same tracks that a lot of you have come to know and love. The big change is that its only going to be 50km and feature all the great sections of single track and none of the boring fire roads. The Wombat Loop, Distillery, Tardis and Leaf Litter are all included. Expect to race a 5km start loop and then 45km of single track with only short fire road sections.

So regardless of whether you are a gun that wants to win or you just want to do a great ride with a bunch of mates come out for one of the best MTB experiences that a very small amount of money can buy.

With a crazy cheap price of $40 until the New Year enter now and we will keep you up to date with everything you will need to know over the next couple of months.

Entries through entryzone:
http://bit.ly/WombatClassic
Reduced price entry extended to Mon 11 Jan - that's another week left to save yourself $10.