Raceface BB92 and Sram cranks

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
I'm well out of the game with new BB standards so I'm a little befuddled. The story goes, I've got a frame with a RaceFace BB92 pressfit BB. I inherited a set of Sram XX1 cranks (with out the BB). Are they Compatible? I put the drive side in and that appears to be ok but the non drive side end on the spindle doesn't seem to gain purchase on anything and is quite loose - I didn't install the non drive side arm. There are two red rubber bearing covers with the cranks, but I think they are for the matching SRAM GXP version of the Pressfit BB92 (or what ever they use). The spindle length of the cranks is correct for BB92. Obviously something is awry. I assume I'll need to buy a Sram GXP BB to suit, unless I'm missing something... ?

Minlak

custom titis
I'm well out of the game with new BB standards so I'm a little befuddled. The story goes, I've got a frame with a RaceFace BB92 pressfit BB. I inherited a set of Sram XX1 cranks (with out the BB). Are they Compatible? I put the drive side in and that appears to be ok but the non drive side end on the spindle doesn't seem to gain purchase on anything and is quite loose - I didn't install the non drive side arm. There are two red rubber bearing covers with the cranks, but I think they are for the matching SRAM GXP version of the Pressfit BB92 (or what ever they use). The spindle length of the cranks is correct for BB92. Obviously something is awry. I assume I'll need to buy a Sram GXP BB to suit, unless I'm missing something... ?
BB92 is a Shimano shell and is for a 24mm spindle

Raceface will be using the GXP standard which is 24mm drive side and 22 mm non drive side you need different cranks or a new BB

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight

Raceface will be using the GXP standard which is 24mm drive side and 22 mm non drive side you need different cranks or a new BB
Yep, just went over it with a Vernier. BB is 24mm both sides, cranks are 24mm driveside and 22mm non drive side.

New BB incoming. Thanks mate :)

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange

Sorta, but not quite.

BB92 is a 92mm wide x 41mm (usually, there are a handful of 42mm) bore threadless shell to suit press-fit adaptations from the external bearing, threaded shell two-piece crank design, which includes Shimano Hollowtech II, SRAM GXP, FSA MegaExo and others. Most cranks designed to this format have a straight 24mm diameter spindle, however SRAM decided to get weird & step their version down to 22mm at the left end, meaning you MUST use a SRAM or other GXP-compatible bottom bracket (third-party manufacturers such as Jet Black, Chris King etc usually offer a GXP version alongside Shimano-compatible models).

Clearly Raceface are NOT using the GXP standard in this instance, because the bearing holes are both 24mm, not one x 24mm & one x 22mm.

Last edited: