[VIC] Wombat Classic Sat 5 Mar 2016

slowmick

38-39"
Forgot to enter last week - did it at 9:30 this morning. price is now $50 on the entry zone website. Not complaining (still a cheap day out), just letting you know. :thumb:

MJG

Likes Dirt
Forgot to enter last week - did it at 9:30 this morning. price is now $50 on the entry zone website. Not complaining (still a cheap day out), just letting you know. :thumb:
Thanks for letting me know - I'll chase it up with the person who told me about the discount extension.

Marx

Likes Dirt
I just entered today, for fiddy bucks.

Can I ask about the course: is it one lap of 50kms, or a shorter loop that riders will do multiple laps to make up the 50kms?

MJG

Likes Dirt
I just entered today, for fiddy bucks.

Can I ask about the course: is it one lap of 50kms, or a shorter loop that riders will do multiple laps to make up the 50kms?
One lap. There will be a several-km start loop on fire roads to hopefully string people out (more than) a bit before the singletrack commences in earnest at the Wombat Dam on Fingerpost Rd adjacent to the pine plantation. After that you'll only ride each section of track once, finishing back at the Dam. Of the mid 40s km after the start loop, it's roughly 70% singletrack, 15% doubletrack (old 4wd tracks) and 15% linking fire roads that carry very little traffic.

The short kids race will be entirely on singletrack, multi-lap format.

MJG

Likes Dirt
Last edited:

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
MJG got some 'splainin to do.

I await your PM letting my know why that link was in your post.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
problem with using bit.ly as url is its still prone to being hijacked at the server end i.e. hack redirects your link on bit.ly to dodgy site.

below is entryzone link and if you run mouse over you can see url path vs bit.ly which we can't see destination address.

Enter Here
-
wombat-mtb-logo.jpg

gnarly_rider

Likes Dirt
Tempting, tempting!

I need a goal to motivate me past the lack of riding thus far post new-baby.

When do you reckon you'll have a map of the course up?

The second half

No problem. When you reach the feed station for the first time you head west along Burnt Mill Road and pick up the Distillery Loop, which after some great single track and a 4WD track climb you end up virtually back at the feed station. From there you head east for 100m or so then south on really minor 4WD tracks that eventually bring you back north to Burnt Mill Road. Then you turn south again down the Leaf Litter single track and keep descending to the bottom of Rooters Downhill etc. Then it is out onto Fingerpost Road for a long gentle climb on the road back to the feed station. All of this second half is in the 'normal' travel direction that you would ride these trails if riding socially and following the pretty well known Strava segments.

The first bit

Thanks Surveyorcam.

Can you indicate which way those bottom two loops run; clockwise or anti-clockwise? I'm presuming that the course generally runs anti-clockwise from the start.
Yes anticlockwise from the start. From the dam it's, Normal Wombat to cluster junction, Tardis to Triangle, Normal Wombat backwards to cluster junction, Old Wombat to Triangle, then out onto Taylor Road down towards Cammeray etc.