Shimano brake bleed kits

brados20

Likes Dirt
Hey guys just wondering if anyone else has noticed a shortage of shimano bleed kits and fluid here in aus lately. I have been searching for a kit and none of the local shops have one and can't even get one from the big online stores in aus.
If anyone knows anywhere in aus that has the ones with the syringe and stopper please let me know!

Ideate

I've got a funnel thing if you want it (for the lever end). I use a syringe and rubber tube I made up from the chemist. Never had an official kit syringe thing.. That's all you need?

brados20

Likes Dirt
I've got a funnel thing if you want it (for the lever end). I use a syringe and rubber tube I made up from the chemist. Never had an official kit syringe thing.. That's all you need?
Ah sweet cheers I did not even think of getting a syringe from the chemist. Probabaly a lot cheaper to! Is the funnel thing really necessary?

Ideate

Ah sweet cheers I did not even think of getting a syringe from the chemist. Probabaly a lot cheaper to! Is the funnel thing really necessary?
I suppose it's not completely necessary.. but I use it every time I bleed mine. Lets you push the bubbles up and out without making a mess everywhere.

stirk

Burner
Two syringes and tubing are up to the challenge I got mine for $1.75 each, tubing I had laying about but is cheap also.

http://www.epicbleedsolutions.com/products/bleed-kits/shimano/complete-kit/#t-1

You could top down bleed by taking the resovior cap and diaphragm out, might not be as good but still works fine on the old style brakes.

Oh and top syringe not nessary just any catch can/bsg will do, warning g the tube can pop out of the bleed port, get someone to hold it, minimise mess or fuckwittery.

Last edited:

willsy01

Eats Squid
If you're doing top down......a Gatorade bottle with a hole drilled in the lid, coat hanger (cut down and wrapped around under the ridge below the lid and a hook at the top) and and some tubing make a very good replacement for a plastic bag.

gregp

Likes Dirt
I've never been able to get syringes from a Chemist in Australia... I've tried many times. Once I asked for some fat needles (for dispensing grease of course) and they looked like they were about to do an impromptu intervention for me. Always have to go to e-bay or steal them from a hospital. Also the ones I do manage to get my hands on have shitty rubber plungers that swell and seize up instantly on contact with suspension oils. So where do you fellas get yours from?

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I've never been able to get syringes from a Chemist in Australia... I've tried many times. Once I asked for some fat needles (for dispensing grease of course) and they looked like they were about to do an impromptu intervention for me. Always have to go to e-bay or steal them from a hospital. Also the ones I do manage to get my hands on have shitty rubber plungers that swell and seize up instantly on contact with suspension oils. So where do you fellas get yours from?
Is this right after asking for 5 packets of cold and flu tablets?

Super cheap auto has a 100ml syringe with a rubber plunger that won't swell the instant it comes into contact with solvents or oils. Seen them at masters too in their token effort auto section

Ideate

I've never been able to get syringes from a Chemist in Australia... I've tried many times.
Do you look like a dero' junkie or something? You should also ask for an oral medication syringe or similar.. You don't need the needle tip (like this)

Otherwise SCA or similar is a great suggestion (any place with a half decent auto section).

stirk

Burner
Bought some sudafed the other day, was given a filty look when I asked for the good stuff! The tone of voice when asking to see my licence was very cold. FFS chemist person if I'm going to take drugs it won't be dodgy home made speed!

The large chemist syringes are a fith the price of SCA.

Are the very ones really large so you need to step down the hose size?

Freediver

I can go full Karen
Very few chemists stock the larger syringes, Chemist Warehouse has them though and is happy to sell them. The rubber bits don't last long but they cost under a dollar so who cares.

Pinner

Likes Dirt
In my experience the ones off eBay work fine. I just make sure to buy them in packets of decent quantity so when they swell I'm I'm not caught halfway through a job

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Bought some sudafed the other day, was given a filty look when I asked for the good stuff! The tone of voice when asking to see my licence was very cold. FFS chemist person if I'm going to take drugs it won't be dodgy home made speed!
That's if you can find a chemist that actually stocks anything but that phenylephrine rubbish. I've found country town chemists to be better and usually stock up on cold and flu meds when I go away for work, so that I can 'soldier on' when I really get sick...

Syringes - try your local hydroponic shop too, they use them to measure out nutrient solutions. Not sure how the price/quality compares, but at least they won't ask you what you plan to use them for!

DJR

Likes Dirt
I tried to get 1L of mineral oil from a shop a couple of weeks ago and there was a big shortage of the stuff coming into the country. Shop said maybe 2 people have ordered a bleed kit in the last year so there was no point stocking it.

I already have the funnel so ended up getting a litre on ebay

the funnel is good as you can keep it full and do a slow gravity bleed into a bottle and tube off the caliper bleed port then tighten it up and use the lever to get all the air out.

so much easier than bleeding avids

moorey

call me Mia
I tried to get 1L of mineral oil from a shop a couple of weeks ago and there was a big shortage of the stuff coming into the country. Shop said maybe 2 people have ordered a bleed kit in the last year so there was no point stocking it.

I already have the funnel so ended up getting a litre on ebay

the funnel is good as you can keep it full and do a slow gravity bleed into a bottle and tube off the caliper bleed port then tighten it up and use the lever to get all the air out.

so much easier than bleeding avids
Gravity bleed never gets all the bubbles out. They rise up as oil moves down. Always push from bottom to fill funnel at the top.

brados20

Likes Dirt
What an awesome response, I think I will go the diy syringe route. I also remember seeing some at super cheap a while back, might go have a look after work.

i got a litre of shimano oil from CRC or Evans, cant remember which.30 shipped.
by the time you get the small oil bottle ,plastic tube and syringe for ~$20, you might as well go for the 1Lt for 30bucks that will last for ever.
chemist syringe was $1.00 but i did notice the plunger was less then smooth on contact with the oil.
plastic tube can come from lawnmower shops, hardware or aqarium shop