eBikes - what's the current perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mongo

Likes Bikes
E-Bikes are awesome for so many reasons.

1. If your a DH rider, there a fabulous cross-training tool for going fast on flat single trail. Going beyond pedal speed to simulate a DH run.
2. Getting to the top of a shuttle trail without a driver
3. Exploring a mountainous area without the elite fitness required.
4. Clean, low impact form of transport alternative to I.C.E commuting or public transport. Just to name a few

Now I know there's a lot of hate from the cycling purists. But every argument against them, I've heard to date, is either a logical fallacy or ill thought out prejudice to an emerging technology that will ultimately enhance the popularity of cycling.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
"elite fitness" is a bit over-dramatic. I am far from elite fit and I explore mountainous regions just fine.

Just what trails like Stromlo, Majura, Sparrow, etc. need - people riding flat trails at DH speed. Have you actually considered the consequences of that? I see little kids riding at Canberra's bike parks all the time - getting in to the sport. The last thing they need is the risk of some one blasting along at DH speed.

I'm not a purist, I'm some one who doesn't like needless risk or selfish behaviour and that's what your suggestion sounds like. Should motorised bikes have their own trails, great, everybody wins. But if what you suggest happens the MTBers lose. using pedelec to replace shuttling seems fine though.

beejay

Likes Dirt
E-Bikes are awesome for so many reasons.

1. If your a DH rider, there a fabulous cross-training tool for going fast on flat single trail. Going beyond pedal speed to simulate a DH run.....
and you can't see why this might be considered risky or dangerous to other trail user's? I certainly don't want you coming up behind me on any mountain bike single track.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Think about how much worse it would be head on when riding on a trail with heavy foliage.

Gotta say, if I see any behaviour like that suggested above on trails around here I will likely take action.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
1. If your a DH rider, there a fabulous cross-training tool for going fast on flat single trail. Going beyond pedal speed to simulate a DH run.
Errr, that's bollocks. In no situation ever have I considered wanting to ride a bike that is double the weight of what I have already and cruise back to the top. To say they could help your skill set by learning some control on the flat is not accurate as............nah, I won't go there.
In no circumstance ever is there ever....EVER an instance where an Ebike or motorbike or step through or whatever fad is doing the rounds should be ridden up a downhill trail. To argue otherwise is pure stupidity.

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Pretty much what the above posters have said.
Like giving p platers, v8's and hipo Turbo's, great if they only take themselves out, but inevitably they'll take someone else with them.
Was on the roadie doing 35 on a flat section of road in traffic this morning, bloke on an ebike doing 40 easy, not pedalling, on the footpath on the opposite side of the road. Driveways, bus stops, side streets, he didn't even flinch. 250w? Not likely, speed limited? Nup. Pedalling, nope...

stirk

Burner
Pretty much what the above posters have said.
Like giving p platers, v8's and hipo Turbo's, great if they only take themselves out, but inevitably they'll take someone else with them.
Was on the roadie doing 35 on a flat section of road in traffic this morning, bloke on an ebike doing 40 easy, not pedalling, on the footpath on the opposite side of the road. Driveways, bus stops, side streets, he didn't even flinch. 250w? Not likely, speed limited? Nup. Pedalling, nope...
While irresponsible and a fucking dick people like that will help the legislators make rulings to officially classify ebike as a motorcycle and unfortunately may give more argument to the registration of bicycles.

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
While irresponsible and a fucking dick people like that will help the legislators make rulings to officially classify ebike as a motorcycle and unfortunately may give more argument to the registration of bicycles.
Valid point, perhaps I should have taken him out when I had the chance (passed me on the outside of a blind corner that I was sticking wide on, had I stayed wide he had a choice between a post and a cement truck)

SamD

E-nnoying E-diot
Dozer it's what a whole group of us do. Most Saturday mornings. It's enjoyable. The extra weight is a blast to throw around. Your arms will hate you.

You need to try it.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Dozer it's what a whole group of us do. Most Saturday mornings. It's enjoyable. The extra weight is a blast to throw around. Your arms will hate you.

You need to try it.
I've got no gripe with you guys taking to the trails and enjoying it, good for you. The point I'm pushing is that at no stage is it acceptable to ride that bike back up the trail.
Let me try another angle:
Most mountain bike trails are made to be ridden in one direction. This is accentuated by the shape of some of the features. For example, a downhill trail goes down and has features that are sheer faced (drops, rocks, logs etc) that have been built o the bike rolls off it in one direction and can't be ridden up. It's built like that for that reason; it's a directional trail. Now consider a loop style trail (cross country) where the features of that trail are far less consequential but are still shaped in one direction. Fair cop, you could ride the other way over or around those features but that's commonly done on trails that are marked or known as multi direction trails. In that instance, it'll contain some up's and down's and people ride to those conditions. At no stage should they be ridden at speeds that don't contain some anticipation that a person may be coming the other way, thats common sense and courtesy. You know those times you're bombing along and a moto rider comes around a blind corner impersonating his favorite metal mulisha hack and doesn't give a fuck for you on your mountain bike? Yeah, that's a big problem and isn't acceptable. The upside is you've probably heard the goon coming and know to give them a part of your thought to give them as much room as you expect them to give you...............
Now picture the same scenario with some dickbag on an E bike going all hero and showing off to his vespa riding buddies who rides his overweight lazy arse back up a single direction trail and doesn't anticipate that a rider coming down at a great speed cannot hear him and they have a collision. I can hands down guarantee you that if I was involved and could stand and see part ways straight that I would bend that bike in half by hand and crush the rider inside it for being such an arrogant dopey inconsiderate arsehole. That'd be the entree actually!
I build trails that stop people riding up them. Some brainiac moto riders have tried to come up some of my trails and failed but being the courteous guy I am, I hear them in advance and don't plow past them. I don't want to hit anyone and I don't want to have to repair trails that have been unruly damaged by someone not taking the obvious initiative that they are going against the grain. Der.

If you choose to E bike off road, stick to the trail direction and you should be fine.

MARKL

Eats Squid
The above example is clearly a motorcycle under current legislation, admittedly a slow heap of shit motorcycle. Unfortunately you are correct that people may confuse them with cyclists and legislate further against cyclists.

SamD

E-nnoying E-diot
Obvious troll was obvious.
No the Nicolai can be dropped with a switch to 250w pedelec. It's not a motorcycle which starts at 9000 watts. One is 36 times the other. Are you ok with numbers?

It's a Nicolai. You know their background yes?

Dozer going uphill would be daft. Agreed. Possibly a spinal risk.

But just as their are dickheads in Gravity there are dickheads on power. I hate the noise motos make FWIW

Flow-Rider

Burner
Obvious troll was obvious.
No the Nicolai can be dropped with a switch to 250w pedelec. It's not a motorcycle which starts at 9000 watts. One is 36 times the other. Are you ok with numbers?

It's a Nicolai. You know their background yes?

Dozer going uphill would be daft. Agreed. Possibly a spinal risk.

But just as their are dickheads in Gravity there are dickheads on power. I hate the noise motos make FWIW
It's even sounding worse, just hit the nitrous button for when the cops chase you or just when you feel like it.

SamD

E-nnoying E-diot
Au contraire. On private property? Bang it up to 800 watts (whoop de Doo)

Want to pedelec commute somewhere that a pushy can't do in time and leave the car at home - or connect up the gaps between single trail sections by roads etc? Do that too.

You seem to think the toothless gorms on 50cc stinky bikes are the sort of folks who'd buy this Nicolai.
I'm thinking that ain't gonna happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.