Cracked ribs, approx recovery time.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
has been ~6weeks each time, a little longer the last one. I'd try to avoid sneezing, coughing and being around funny people.

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You only expose yourself to radiation if it will change your treatment. The treatment for broken ribs is nothing, just take it easy and wait. Hence most doctors would not order an xray unless they had reasonable grounds to suspect something else which would change the treatment.

The general rule of thumb for broken bones is 6 weeks to heal. Ribs constantly move with breathing, coughing, laughing etc so might take a bit longer.

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt
I got an X-ray which showed nothing and peed in a cup and they said I had some blood in it which I had to follow up with my doc.
Should upload my crash vid to the Youtubes, it was quite humorous.

stirk

Burner
I think I fractured a couple landing on a rock, took about 4 weeks till sleeping became comfortable again and another month to stop noticing any twinges of soreness.

At least you can walk about and stuff, sleeping, coughing or sneezing was the worst of it really, especially sleeping.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
You only expose yourself to radiation if it will change your treatment. The treatment for broken ribs is nothing, just take it easy and wait. Hence most doctors would not order an xray unless they had reasonable grounds to suspect something else which would change the treatment.

The general rule of thumb for broken bones is 6 weeks to heal. Ribs constantly move with breathing, coughing, laughing etc so might take a bit longer.
Yep - all recently trained doctors will not recomend an X ray, except if other symptoms make suspect pneumothorax. Patient nags then they will - bit like prescribing an antibiotic - makes the patient feel better if they've been told it's broken.

More pain means more pain relief at night especially if accompanied by a chest infection - chest infection plus suspected fractured ribs is see a dr today or tomorrow.

Anyway 6 weeks till it stops interrupting sleep, 12 weeks till sneezes don't hurt, and if you fall again on the same rib inside a year it seems to fracture again - mid forties male experience ( much better if you are younger)

Mitch243

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Didn't read thread but:

I was highly invested in a DH trip in Canada when I cracked mine (Ferny opening weekend). Cracked said ribs first day, did one run after doing so while I was still pumped on adrenaline. Then because I was so financially invested in the weekend I took heaps of drugs and rode another full park day of DH three days later (no crashes). I couldn't move for the next week.

After that week I was riding road (on shitloads of painkillers) but didn't try mountain again for another 6 weeks. From then it was fine (no crashes), it hurt but it was pretty managable. I'd say after 8 weeks I was fine.

That said I was young (21yo), fit and healthy. ymmv

big gags

Likes Bikes
Six weeks. Also about the same for severely bruised ribs which I reckon are just as if not more painful than a cracked rib!!

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Week four now and things are on the improve at last. Still painful to do certain things, but the general ache, and level of pain when sneezing or coughing has definitely reduced.