Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt
If you want good brakes I wouldn't go past DBA disk rotors with Bendix pads. EBC brake pads are ordinary from my experience. The slotted brake rotors chew your pads up really fast.
Haha, I took my Mini, 7.5"brakes no booster to get redgo and had Greenstuff pads in and the guy came back and told me he had to warm the pads up before doing the test as it failed first go. I loved the brakes on that, they made your brake strong like the clutch leg.

RDA get their rotors from a few manufacturers, Mini ones came through them and were made by brembo, not sure who does the stuff for the local cars......maybe they make them here?

nitro, you could check the wheel bearings and ball joints, if they are warn even the tiniest warp in the rotors will feel like they are badly warped. I was glad I checked my wheel bearings coz the muppet that did them previously used a split pin that was so small it fell out so if they came loose I would have been in trouble pretty quickly.

I still have a fibreglass sub box in the garage that I made for mine, sadly flogged the car off for $150 after throwing a grand in bits at it then not using the car, God I hated it.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Halfway cruise and meetup at Berrima today. Good turnout from both the Canberra and Sydney guys, nice pub meal and catch up. A few busses, few beetles, couple of Karmann Ghia's and some watercooled as well. Great way to spend a Sunday.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Halfway cruise and meetup at Berrima today. Good turnout from both the Canberra and Sydney guys, nice pub meal and catch up. A few busses, few beetles, couple of Karmann Ghia's and some watercooled as well. Great way to spend a Sunday.

Nice, some split screens there.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Haha, I took my Mini, 7.5"brakes no booster to get redgo and had Greenstuff pads in and the guy came back and told me he had to warm the pads up before doing the test as it failed first go. I loved the brakes on that, they made your brake strong like the clutch leg.

RDA get their rotors from a few manufacturers, Mini ones came through them and were made by brembo, not sure who does the stuff for the local cars......maybe they make them here?

nitro, you could check the wheel bearings and ball joints, if they are warn even the tiniest warp in the rotors will feel like they are badly warped. I was glad I checked my wheel bearings coz the muppet that did them previously used a split pin that was so small it fell out so if they came loose I would have been in trouble pretty quickly.

I still have a fibreglass sub box in the garage that I made for mine, sadly flogged the car off for $150 after throwing a grand in bits at it then not using the car, God I hated it.
They sound like some very hard brake pads for the street. I spent some of my childhood in a mini moke, it was a good little beast back then.

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt
They sound like some very hard brake pads for the street. I spent some of my childhood in a mini moke, it was a good little beast back then.
I couldn't drive a Moke, I know there's not much protection in a Mini but Moke's are nuts.

They only needed to be used once and just normal driving would keep them more than warm enough, you don't really drive something like that on the freeway too much because you only go 200km on a tank and 4500RPM sucks! But if you do you have to give them a quick stab when you exit.

What's the red car in the VW pic?

Last edited:

Elbo

I couldn't drive a Moke, I know there's not much protection in a Mini but Moke's are nuts.

They only needed to be used once and just normal driving would keep them more than warm enough, you don't really drive something like that on the freeway too much because you only go 200km on a tank and 4500RPM sucks! But if you do you have to give them a quick stab when you exit.

Karman Ghia Razor, aka Type 34. Beautiful car! Here's a better shot.

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt
Cool, never seen one of them before.

Another question, are Mk3's worth as much as Beetles? They just seemed to disappear about 10yrs ago and I didn't know if they got scrapped or they became collectible and live in garages. They were probably my favorite air cooled VW.

Elbo

Cool, never seen one of them before.

Another question, are Mk3's worth as much as Beetles? They just seemed to disappear about 10yrs ago and I didn't know if they got scrapped or they became collectible and live in garages. They were probably my favorite air cooled VW.
They're really cool, and pretty rare.

Do you mean Mk3's or Type 3's? 10 years ago you couldn't give a Type 3 away, now they're quite popular. Early (<68) are much more sought after, but I have seen some nice later/fatter models. They seem to have a habit of being cursed and difficult to work on.

At the moment, they're probably worth more than Beetles, but it depends what Beetle you're talking about. Everything VW is super inflated right now, definitely not a buyer's market.

Flow-Rider

Burner

I heard some bad stories of tall people in crashes and screwed their knees. The one that a school friend owned had a big bull bar on the front with a roll cage. He went to all the trouble and bought all the stuff to convert to a Californian, it would break driveshaft all the time. Fun car when you are in your teens, went off road a few times in it also.

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt
They're really cool, and pretty rare.

Do you mean Mk3's or Type 3's? 10 years ago you couldn't give a Type 3 away, now they're quite popular. Early (<68) are much more sought after, but I have seen some nice later/fatter models. They seem to have a habit of being cursed and difficult to work on.

At the moment, they're probably worth more than Beetles, but it depends what Beetle you're talking about. Everything VW is super inflated right now, definitely not a buyer's market.
Sorry, yeah, the Type 3. My brain has shut down for the evening.

nitro01

Likes Dirt
Hey Spooz,

will check ball joints and stuff tonight. Previous owner got brand new bushes installed on the swaybar etc so I'll have an in depth look tonight.

Also forgot to mention it needs U joints! There's a gnarly squeal coming from them... will get done when monies etc

Cheers

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt
Wouldn't think you'd get a squeal from the unis, the bearings only move a small amount. Normally with worn uni's you'll get a rumble and if the sleeve on the tailshaft is worn you can get vibration.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Wouldn't think you'd get a squeal from the unis, the bearings only move a small amount. Normally with worn uni's you'll get a rumble and if the sleeve on the tailshaft is worn you can get vibration.
The rear brakes might be grabbing, they normally piss oil everywhere when the rear extension housing bush goes.

ducky1988

Likes Dirt
sometimes I like wiring and sometimes I don't like it at all........
trying to retro fit a new loom into old VW switches takes patience, that mixed with the oppressive Brisbane humidity, low light conditions and the fact I am now finding that I am using my "reading" glasses to see is shitting me!. At least I got the engine end, starter and batt wired up and its all good. Had to add a little sticker bomb artwork somewhere.
Hey mate, you obviously know a little bit about VW's. What are your thoughts on T3 transporters? I am staring to fall in love with the 89' vintage.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
I work at a car dealership and somebody traded a 2005 Ford Falcon XR6 turbo ute. The dealer principle asked if anyone wanted it so I asked how much. $4500 he says.
"Yep I'll take it" I said and gave my brother a ring who was chasing such a beast.
It's pretty rough by my standards but has had some serious money thrown at it with modifications.
The good bits;
6 speed manual.
Full Nizpro Cobra kit with huge plenum and cooler.
Front and rear Brembo brakes
Hard lid
19 inch ROH wheels
Alarm
Upgraded fuel pump
Big exhaust including 4 inch dump pipe from the turbo.
It has a hidden/built in radar detector.
The body is pretty straight.

Some of the shabby bits;
The tailshaft center bearing is stuffed.
The brakes need machining as I it has brake shudder.
The hood lining is falling down.
The battery was dead.
One of the front wheels was bent and wouldn't hold air.
Alarms are always trouble.
It leaks oil from the turbo somewhere.
One of the intake pipes was blown off so it made zero boost.
The paint on the Brembos is all chalky and faded.

So I have the job of getting it up and running and getting it fit for the road. I fitted a new battery to the custom made tray which is located under the tray. It fired up and ran ok but made no boost because of blown off inlet hose. So we got it home and I gave it a service with new oil and filter, coolant and brake and clutch fluid. I also checked the diff and gearbox oils which looked ok. After fitting a new joiner to the intake pipe I could take it for a spin.
Woooosssssh pppppsssssshhhhh!!!!!
HOLY CRAP it's got some Mumbo. It's running around 15 or 16 PSI and gives quite a push in the back.
I've now got the tailshaft out and in pieces. It's getting a new center bearing and now cv joints as I found cracks in the carrier.
I've still got a fair bit to do to get it into shape. But my brother wrapt and has picked up a performance bargain.

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt
Haha, I was going to say the paint on all Brembo's is chalky but they are the worst I have seen, not that I've seen all that many.

That is a seriously awesome price though.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Carpet is in for the beetle, sound deadening and underlay underneath, still not sure if it's any quieter with the rear windscreen still out. Very comfy, tempting to chuck the left overs into the Subaru.