Rums

binner

Hath shat hymself
I was at Ol Dans this arvo to buy my usual bottle of sailor J and as I grabbed the cylinder with my poster included Ol mate next to me held a bottle of bundy mutany and asked if I had tried it , as I'm not a bundy fan I said no. As we were talking shit I looked at the bottom shelf and saw this bottle of Trinidad spiced rum for 37 garungies, the bottle shape fought my eye and because I had never seen it before I placed the Sailor back and walked out with this....

Pretty damn good actually, a lil cinnamon and what tastes like anaseed but not sure, has a nice soft burn afterwards. I think I like it......

Attachments

mitchy_

Llama calmer
i've been meaning to try that one.
my usual is just captain morgan original spiced. the black spiced is a decent drop too, bought a bottle a little while back for some quiet drinks, and the night before my wedding my brother and i knocked it off pretty quickly.

a few other reasonably priced ones i've tried is Canefire (distilled in WA) Stolen, Kraken, Mount Gay, Bacardi Oakheart, and another one we tried at the substation rum bar at the breaky creek hotel. fucked if i can remember the name now, but it has a boat on it... just like every other rum.

binner

Hath shat hymself
Release the Kraken!
Marketing is awesome, isn't it.....

I was introduced to Capt. Morgan's spiced rum many years ago in Whistler then moved on to Jerry, have tried a few others but still return to Sailor.
just had another swig and now I'm getting vanilla in the blend.... Pretty happy with my choice.

poita

Likes Dirt
If you have cash to burn, Ord River Premium Dark is good, you'll have to be patient and wait for it in the post though!

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt
Marketing is awesome, isn't it.....

I was introduced to Capt. Morgan's spiced rum many years ago in Whistler then moved on to Jerry, have tried a few others but still return to Sailor.
just had another swig and now I'm getting vanilla in the blend.... Pretty happy with my choice.
Haha, I had no idea about the marketing but I bought some in Scotland then that was what I heard when it was released from the bag. From memory it was pretty nice, spices and what not, I'm not big on describing alcohol. Bacardi Oakheart was okay, still spices 'n' stuff, have no idea what made it unique but it taste perfectly acceptable to me but I'm pretty easy to please. Bundy UP is horrible though, even from sober I have trouble stomaching that stuff, OP is much nicer.

Double spiced rum and Vanilla Coke in a short glass is(to me) a pretty tasty bevvy, Morgan's is too sweet to do anything but a double with a mixer.

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
The only rum I've tried is Club Armada white rum. Is it meant to be like drinking a marker?

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
That's unkind, Tis every bit as good as Jerry.
I have both in the cabinet, but I'll usually go for the kracken if Im looking to have a drink. both are tasty, kracken just usually wins out (but I have to have both on hand just in case).

Ron Zacapa thumps them both though. but at $80 a bottle I'll stick to sailor kracken unless I'm really feeling rich.

I love how many more rums we see on the shelves these days, honestly can't see how I used to enjoy drinking Bundy week after week :loco:

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
The only rum I've tried is Club Armada white rum. Is it meant to be like drinking a marker?
all the good drinks are like that. clench your teeth, grimace, pour another shot and pressure some other suckers into drinking the swill :p

havnt met a white rum I like yet, they've all been awful. havnt tried particularly hard though, maybe there is a good one out there?

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I can't bring myself to buy that one, even DF. Regular zacapa is plenty good enough for me.

Best price I found for zacapa (Solera 23) was 20usd during the time of parity, for de litro! I wonder how much it is in its home country.

Last edited:

Mrlinderman

Likes Dirt
I've been a rum man for around 10 years, since i left uni really, progressed from the lighter/sweeter mixing rums etc to aged and spiced sipping rums, I still enjoy the occasional Captain Morgan black or tattoo with a dry mixer, specially if I'm in party mode, There are plenty of rums still to try and something i love doing specially when overseas is finding a new one, rum is very mistaken in its history and flavour, something i believe brands such as Bundaburg have given rum a bad name, when ever i tell my friends i drink rum they all think i gulp back glasses of battery acid or window cleaner, o how they change there tune after a glass of what i have on my shelf.

Since i moved to AU I get all my rums from here unless a local store has something special: https://www.mybottleshop.com.au/liquor/buy-spirits-online/rum

I've probably tried over 25 sipping rums in the last 8 or so years, my favorites to date are:

Sipping

Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva 12 Year Old Rum - 4.75/5
This is my go to sipping choice, just be aware it needs time to breath, especially on a new opening, the flavors really come to life after the liquid hits room temperature and has had 10-15min to breath, this is one rum i recommend to all my friends who want to try out sipping rums instead of mixers or blends, I have tried a few of the Diplomatico range and this is my 1st pick, Anejo is ok but lacks depth, I was lucky enough to have a sip of the Ambassador Selection at a tasting event but without eating before i felt it was rather heavy on the palette

Pussers Nelsons Blood 15 Year Old Rum - 4.5/5
I'm half POM so you cannot expect me to not have this one in here :) - This is a very old school rum, was given to sailors back in the day to help with nerves and courage when sailing for the navy, there is two variants, the original and 15 year, both are great for sipping

Ron Zacapa Centenario 23 Rum - 4/5
I do enjoy an occasional Ron, especially after a heavy meal, like a roast dinner, the flavors are on a different scale to Diplo, I find Ron to be more bourbon like in its taste where as the Diplo is more molasses, I agree with a previous poster as well the XO although a beautiful rum is kind of outshone by its younger version

Flor de Cana 18 Year Centenario Gold Rum - 4/5
This is not a cheap drop but it worth every penny imo, I've tried the 12 and 18 year Flor de Cana's and the 18 is a level beyond the 12, a tad sweater to the taste and so much more flavour afterwards, bare in mind this rum is not for everyone, its very old school in its making and carries allot of oak into its flavour which may put a few off

Mixing

Captain Morgan Tattoo - 4/5
drinkable both over ice and in a dry mix, this is sweet and hot spice so if you mix try to compliment that flavour

Captain Morgan Black Spiced Rum - 4/5
The rum that started my obsession, many a night has been forgotten on this drop, drink with your preferred mixer and forget all your worries

dropotaro

Likes Dirt
I can't bring myself to buy that one, even DF. Regular zacapa is plenty good enough for me.

Best price I found for zacapa (Solera 23) was 20usd during the time of parity, for de litro! I wonder how much it is in its home country.
I was buying it for 12AUD a bottle (23 solera) in Guatemala, I didn't know at the time how good it was haha, even made mojitos with it :tape::tape:

Flow-Rider

Burner
I love how many more rums we see on the shelves these days, honestly can't see how I used to enjoy drinking Bundy week after week :loco:
There is one other rum that blew Bundy out of the water, it was the poison of poisons (Beenleigh rum). Back in the day there was a big price difference between normal rum and top self, Bundy was one of the better offerings. The hangovers from Bundy were brutal, we have it good these days you can order some really nice stuff online.

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
rumbo.jpg

This was a haul from a trip to the carribean a few years ago (french carribean to france you can basically take as much booze as you can carry back with you...) The Neisson and the JM VO were the picks of the bunch, both delicious on ice. Those two blue boxes were 3lt each of deliciousnes that were turned into mojitos over the next few months. The clement was the most expensive and was not much chop...all up i think that lot only cost 50 euro...

binner

Hath shat hymself
good price point

well, the first bottle of Rebellion was so yummy , i bought another this arvo..........