Kingdom of one Banshee plus some black obsolete 26" carbon and a couple o' steel HT's

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I thought it was time for a post your ride thread on my current stable. I'll start with the bikes in the order that they were purchased.

2014 Banshee Rune V2.

Rune v2 1.jpg

Rune v2 2.jpg

Rune v2 3.jpg

2014 Banshee Rune V2 w/Fox DHX RC4
Rockshox Pike Solo Air RCT3 27.5
Derby AM Carbon wheels on Hope pro 2 evo hubs laced with sapim x-ray cx spokes 27.5
Rockshox Reverb Stealth
Raceface turbine cranks
Raceface narrow wide chainring 32t
Shimano XTR shifter 11sp
Shimano XT derailleur m8000
Shimano XT cassette 11-42 m8000
Hope tech 3 v4 brakes
Shimano ice tech rotors 203f 203r
Raceface atlas 35 stem 50mm
Raceface sixc 35 carbon handlebars
One up chain guide

*Edit - spec on the Rune updated. Got most of the bits from the spitfire before sale *

I came to own this bike through getting a sweet deal on a damaged 2015 Reign 1. The frame was a write off however the remaining bits were the perfect build kit for this rig. At the time there was a second hand rune frame on rotorburn with a fox ctd shock. So i sold up my trusty Rune V1.5 and bought the frame. After a month or two decided that the fox shock wasn't ideal for me as a 95kg rider. It tended to blow through its travel easily and was too harsh with the pressure increased. I sold it to Boom King and I managed to get a CCDBA CS from Ben at single tracks and I'm more than happy with how it performs with this shock. I am very happy with how the bike is riding at the moment and the only upgrade i can see in the near future would be to get a better headset. The stock banshee one has seen better days. Will most likely get a Hope one. I experienced the creaking crown issue with my pikes but after some solid advice on this forum, fixed it with loctite 290.

2013 Santa Cruz Nomad C

2013 Santa Cruz Carbon Nomad w/ Fox DHX RC4 (ti-spring & push link)
2013 Fox 36 Talas 180 - 160
Easton Haven carbon wheels
KS Lev 150 dropper w/ southpaw remote
SRAM x9 shifter 10sp
SRAM x9 type 2.1 derailleur 10sp
Zee brakes
Formula rotors 203f 203r
Zee cranks
Blackspire narrow wide chain ring 32t
Renthal fatbars
Truvative aka stem

2015 Banshee Spitfire V2.

* Edit - Has been sold *

Spitty 1.jpg

Fork upgrade.

2015 Banshee Spitfire w/ Cane Creek Double Barrel Air CS (Upgrade from dB inline)
Rockshox pike 27.5 DPA RCT3 130 -160 (Upgrade from x-fusion sweep rl2)
Hope Tech Enduro 27.5 wheels w/ Maxxis High Roller ll 27.5 3c exo TR tires f+r set up tubeless
Shimano Zee brakes
Shimano ice tech rotors 200mm
Racefaace turbine crankset
Raceface 32T NW chainring
One Up ISCG 05 micro chainguide
XTR m9000 11sp shifter
XT m8000 shadow plus 11sp rear derailleur
XT m8000 11/42 11sp cassette
KS LEV integra 125mm dropper post
WTB rocket V team saddle
Raceface SixC bars 760w
Race Face Atlas 50mm stem
Hope tapered headset

Bought this rig off a dude on gumtree for 3k. It came with a custom fluro yellow sticker kit from slik, but it was the Rune decals. Apparently they sent him the wrong decals and he decided to run with it anyway. Removing the decals was the first thing I did when I got the bike. I haven't ever made a purchase this large without seeing the item first and not purchasing from a trusted seller on here or through eBay where there is some buyer protection in place. I grabbed a copy of his license and it matched with the bank account details so i took a leap of faith, turns out the bloke was a stand up fella, even posted out the neutral flip chips after forgetting to include them originally. Quite often you will buy a bike and the seller claims that the bike is in 'as new condition' and has only been ridden 'a handful of times'. Fortunately for me this was actually the case, the bike arrived in immaculate condition.

Aside from removing the yellow rune decals and the matching yellow grips to reveal the glorious black on black, i swapped out the wheelset. Originally came with WTB i25 laced to Hope Pro2 Evo's but i found these to have too much flex so i swapped them out for a Hope Tech Enduro whilst i had on the hardtail i sold to fund this bike.

I am not too sure if i will keep the inline shock on this rig or try and get something else, i have heard they aren't the best for heavier riders. I have a mate with a monarch plus that will fit who is keen to give the inline a crack, so that may be on the cards in the near future.

The bikes i sold to fund these beauties.

rune 2.jpg

BFe.jpg

The reason i have bought two bikes that are so similar, is because i am trying to get my wife into riding. The BFe was used for rides with my 2yo daughter on the Yepp mini. The Spitfire has taken over that role. I must admit i get some strange looks riding around on it with her on the handlebars.

After a bit more time on the Spitfire i'll compare the ride quality of the two.

Last edited:

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Seriously considering a DB coil (not CS) for the Rune. I sourced a cheap secondhand one that will fit and comes with two springs in my weight range. After opinions on anyone using a coil shock on a Banshee? Is it going to be comparable to ccdba cs on the trails. Since I also own a spitty was thinking i could turn the Rune in to a mini dh rig.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Only had one ride on mine with the RC4 but it felt great. Plush, supple, heaps of grip. Didn't do any tech climbs but did climb some steep trails no issues at all. Heading out again in the morning.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Ideate and I are both using a DBCoil CS on the Spitfire.

I think it's better than the DB Air CS. Can feel a bit weird/bobby on flat trails (probably a setup thing), but pointed down it's awesome. The rear tracks way better and it's super plush.

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cheers for the input. I figured that the coil would dominate on the downhills I am concerned with how it handles regular trail riding with flats and techy climbs. After the initial honeymoon period coming from my ctd to ccdba cs I have been a bit disappointed with how the shock performs on chatter, mainly roots and braking bumps. Not sure if it's poor setup by my but I can't seem to find the sweet spot. Would you say the coil performs in this area?

Boom King

Initial impression of mine was that it was better in those circumstances, better all around in fact. LSC can be used to dial out pedal bob (which is something Banshee tried to minimise with suspension design anyway) and the linear nature of the spring provides great mid travel support and is super plush (use as little HSC as you can).

It honestly felt better everywhere for me. I'll give another opinion after a Youies spin on Tuesday.

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Initial impression of mine was that it was better in those circumstances, better all around in fact. LSC can be used to dial out pedal bob (which is something Banshee tried to minimise with suspension design anyway) and the linear nature of the spring provides great mid travel support and is super plush (use as little HSC as you can).

It honestly felt better everywhere for me. I'll give another opinion after a Youies spin on Tuesday.
I'd appreciate that, cheers.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Cheers for the input. I figured that the coil would dominate on the downhills I am concerned with how it handles regular trail riding with flats and techy climbs. After the initial honeymoon period coming from my ctd to ccdba cs I have been a bit disappointed with how the shock performs on chatter, mainly roots and braking bumps. Not sure if it's poor setup by my but I can't seem to find the sweet spot. Would you say the coil performs in this area?
Yep. I feel it all in my hands, but my rear just eats it up.
I'm probably running it a smidge soft (450lb), which I guess helps with the chatter, but is probably the main contributor to why it feels a bit bobby on flatter, pedally trails like Lysterfield where you're sitting down often.
If you stand up though it's fine, you don't notice the bobbing.

Sometimes I flick on the climb switch to pedal around sitting down but it gets a bit rough on the ass and it's too much of a pain to flick it on and off all the time.

Biggest jump I've done is the table at the end of Cressy, which does kick you a bit high, but I haven't noticed it bottom out yet, so haven't bothered to try a 475lb spring to see if that helps with the flatter stuff.

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep. I feel it all in my hands, but my rear just eats it up.
I'm probably running it a smidge soft (450lb), which I guess helps with the chatter, but is probably the main contributor to why it feels a bit bobby on flatter, pedally trails like Lysterfield where you're sitting down often.
If you stand up though it's fine, you don't notice the bobbing.

Sometimes I flick on the climb switch to pedal around sitting down but it gets a bit rough on the ass and it's too much of a pain to flick it on and off all the time.

Biggest jump I've done is the table at the end of Cressy, which does kick you a bit high, but I haven't noticed it bottom out yet, so haven't bothered to try a 475lb spring to see if that helps with the flatter stuff.
I'm 95kg + riding gear and according to cane creek I should be on a 450lb spring. The shock I am looking at has both a 450lb and a 500lb (both steel) spring. Is it offensive to ask what you tip the whales at?

Boom King

8.5 x 2.5 Coil shocks don't come up that often on the SH market. Grab it, it will be no trouble to sell if you decide it's not for you.

How cheap is cheap though? My RC4 set me back $250, not sure a CCDB will be significantly better?

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
8.5 x 2.5 Coil shocks don't come up that often on the SH market. Grab it, it will be no trouble to sell if you decide it's not for you.

How cheap is cheap though? My RC4 set me back $250, not sure a CCDB will be significantly better?
BK I think you just convinced me!

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
I'm 95kg + riding gear and according to cane creek I should be on a 450lb spring. The shock I am looking at has both a 450lb and a 500lb (both steel) spring. Is it offensive to ask what you tip the whales at?
These days I'm 80 without gear (at 6'3 I'll blow away in the wind soon)... so I guess add a few kg to that.
You'll be on a longer shock though so 450 may just work for you.

Boom King

Not riding Youies today, aggravated a rib issue (intercostal strain) yesterday at Lystey.

I'm still sold on the coil though, seems to perform better in all respects. If you're a weight weenie, the extra 500g over the air shock might be an issue but given a Rune isn't ever going to he light, I don't see any relevance.

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ah spewing about missing a ride. I think I will just keep the CCDBA, $350 is a good price for the db coil but it's not like the CCDBA isn't already a great shock.