2 20 4 Andrea DOVIZIOSO ITA Ducati Team Ducati 166.7 +0.174
3 16 29 Andrea IANNONE ITA Ducati Team Ducati 166.5 +2.250
4 13 99 Jorge LORENZO SPA Movistar Yamaha MotoGP Yamaha 166.5 +2.707
5 11 93 Marc MARQUEZ SPA Repsol Honda Team Honda 166.2 +7.036

Last edited:

Ivan

Eats Squid
I expect some strange results.

A switch to new tyres and ecu changes will mean everyone is starting from scratch with bike setup.

Ivan

Eats Squid
If they're locking down engine development through restrictions on electronics and fuel, and weight limits tyres are already mandated, then the last place for the engineers to look for an advantage is aerodynamics. This is long overdue, and exciting, I think.

discofrank

Likes Dirt
New wheel size too, back to 17inch wheels from 16.5.

Yam & Honda have got wings too, like Ducati....

View attachment 326185

Don't think Stoner is racing, but he's out there this weekend.

The Yamaha ones at Qater are pretty big too, like the Ducats:
http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/10666902138dfe22665e8b19f7c266ec?width=700
nope he is a test rider maybe a wild card entry...

So many people want him to come back and race full time!

If they're locking down engine development through restrictions on electronics and fuel, and weight limits tyres are already mandated, then the last place for the engineers to look for an advantage is aerodynamics. This is long overdue, and exciting, I think.
overdue? ducati started it back when stoner was with them, when he had the issues with the front end... they eventually did away with them, iirc yammi put some front winglets too

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Not sure I'd want them on a windy day at the island... who knows how it would make the bike behave... just as you clear the end of the straight, the side wind hits you and it sure makes tipping into turn one pretty hairy. I reckon minions would be the fix.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well that went better than expected. Another great performance by Crazy Joe and Cal.

I love Lorenzos fist pump on warm down, and in the press conf describing his last lap as 'impressive', and he wonders why people take the p1ss. He did smash them though, again.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Good to see the three major manufacturers on the rostrum… it probably won’t last.

Pretty weird how Jorge was running softs and the rest were on mediums, and yet he didn’t get away early on, but was still strong at the end… maybe Michelin is still sorting compounds out.

Last edited:

discofrank

Likes Dirt
I thought Lorenzo can usually run a softer tyre than the rest due to his riding style...super smooth. Even his suspension is supposed to be sprung much softer than everyone else.

I'm not sure if the rumour on the ducati winglets is true, but it's cool regardless.

http://lanesplitter.jalopnik.com/the-little-wings-on-ducatis-motogp-bike-might-be-their-1766196778
interesting article!

sure they may not make/produce huge amounts of downforce, not liek the bikes weigh much....

Markee

Likes Dirt
Should be a great season and with Stoner in Ducati's development corner hopefully they can take more podiums and liven up the championship a bit more.

Would also love to see Jack Miller get up and consistently into the top 10 this year.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Those Ducs were honkin' down the straight.
As usual... they sure are quick.

Weird thing is Ducs have a rep for being good handlers... and I've had 8 of them and they were mostly very sweet in the turns.

But their GP bikes seem to produce either too much power or deliver it in such a way that it stuffs up the balance of the bike in the corners, in turn stressing tyres and the riders. They are fighting the thing.

To go fast you need a balanced package... Ducati can't seem to do it yet.

Probably is good for them to have such a high calibre development rider as Casey, to sort out the mess.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rd 2

Argentina
3rd April 2016

LENGTH: 2.99 miles
CORNERS: 5 left 9 right
WIDTH: 52.49 ft.
LONGEST STRAIGHT: 3530.18 ft.

2015 Results
Pos. Points Num. Rider Nation Team Bike Km/h Time/Gap
1 25 46 Valentino ROSSI ITA Movistar Yamaha MotoGP Yamaha 173.3 41'35.644
2 20 4 Andrea DOVIZIOSO ITA Ducati Team Ducati 172.9 +5.685
3 16 35 Cal CRUTCHLOW GBR CWM LCR Honda Honda 172.7 +8.298
4 13 29 Andrea IANNONE ITA Ducati Team Ducati 172.7 +8.352
5 11 99 Jorge LORENZO SPA Movistar Yamaha MotoGP Yamaha 172.6 +10.192

Attachments

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anybody watch the race?

Something about that track brings out the crazy, but I thought Crutchlow had another brilliant ride at least.

discofrank

Likes Dirt
Anybody watch the race?

Something about that track brings out the crazy, but I thought Crutchlow had another brilliant ride at least.

only the last 6 laps,

saw that whoregay was out...
then saw the suzy loose the front..
then the ducati too the other out on the 2nd last corner ffs!

gave rossi a 2nd place rather than what could have been a 4th!

Markee

Likes Dirt
Yeah I was up early for work and went in late cos it was a great race!

Can anyone shed any light on why they had to pit stop and change bikes? Because it kinda ruined the Marquez/Rossi battle.

Iannone needs to hand in his helmet for two weeks for that ridiculousness too!

And what the hell Jack Miller so close to a top 5 and then.................. out!

Ivan

Eats Squid
Can anyone shed any light on why they had to pit stop and change bikes? Because it kinda ruined the Marquez/Rossi battle.
They had a tyre fail in practice, so for safety Michelin removed all tyres except for Hard's, and Dorna enforced a pitstop.

There is talk that the tyres are very inconsistent, and one Hard can be quite different to another Hard.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Would be a concern if there are fundamental issues with the tyres. Presume the teams got out of Tucuman ok, seemed to be stuck there due to weather earlier this week. I can only imagine the logistics in good conditions with back to back races.

Am looking forward to COTA, maybe its the fast sweepers and a nice new track, I'd love to ride it one day, maybe GP->track day->then go do a school with CE2, yeehaa. Occassionally some of the gp crew show up post race weekend, that would be awesome.