BBQ's - Whats the low down - cookers and recipes!!!

willsy01

Eats Squid
My neighbour was previously a weber fan but her daughter who worked at BBQ galore turned her round to a z&b and she loves it, she says its better than the weber.
She said that because Z&B is BBQs Galore own brand and they no longer stock Weber. I'd take my Weber any day of the week......

mitchy_

Llama calmer
I merged threads - every now and then a BBQ thread pops up and I just stick them together to keep the convo rolling. Although for some reason the word barbeque is not at all liked by our search function, it never finds the master thread and I have to search for Weber instead.
i always thought it was barbecue, not barbeque.

Norco Maniac

Is back!
I merged threads - every now and then a BBQ thread pops up and I just stick them together to keep the convo rolling. Although for some reason the word barbeque is not at all liked by our search function, it never finds the master thread and I have to search for Weber instead.
sorry, johnny, my bad, it didn't turn up in my search either - i should have known there's be a thread about scorching great hunks of animal protein on a MTB forum :heh:

i always thought it was barbecue, not barbeque.
i have no idea now....

It comes from the Latin for Barbistos - man with beer and tong - Berserlus - oxen that smoke/burn - quesium - weekend backyard odyssey.
....so i'll go with johnny's translation :dance:

.........so my pork roast has ended up basted with more Kekap Manis in the slowcooker regardless after two hours on the gas-powered outdoor meat burning device. three hours till the food-disappearing monster aka my hubs gets home, and i'm hoping for a semblance of my usual slowcooker pulled pork to calm the raging beast.

Last edited:

padams10003

Likes Dirt
Someone may have already mentioned it, but you cannot beat a char grill. I have a $200 from Bunnings that is a couple of years old now but still holding up. The flavours are unbeatable.

(The only thing is that it is a lot more work than a gas barbie)

stirk

Burner
Someone may have already mentioned it, but you cannot beat a char grill. I have a $200 from Bunnings that is a couple of years old now but still holding up. The flavours are unbeatable.

You are right, you cannot beat a charcoal BBQ. They are not really that much more effort if you have a chimney to start the coals.

Cooked two little steaks over coal tonight just because it's better.

I might have mentioned this tip, you can get wood chips smoking on a gas BBQ and get good smoke flavour in your food, but you need a gas BBQ with a hood to trap the smoke in.

stirk

Burner
I've been enjoying an amazing sate sauce for quite a few years now and feel I can pass it on safely without my local store running out, I hope....

I generously coat chicken thigh in this sate, let it sit for 30 minutes then BBQ on medium to hot heat till cooked through, nice and juicy.

Not your normal sloppy peanut sate but a rich marinade with punch.

Squeeze a little lemon or lime over the chicken after cooking and garnish with coriander.

Don't tell too many people ok! :behindsofa:

jimmy.JPG

patto12

Squid

I got rid of my hotplate and just run grills, albeit on a gas barbie but best thing I ever did.

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
I'd heard Weber's customer service was amazing, and now I've had a chance to experience it myself I can confirm that yes, it really is!

The grill plates on my Weber Family Q 320 have gone to shit. Rusted and flaking. I've always kept it clean, don't live near the ocean for salt to rust it out, it's always kept under cover, but the grill now looks like this...

IMG_1127.jpg

So used Weber's online support page, sent a message and some photos, and less than 30 minutes later I've had a reply, plus a courier tracking number because they're sending me new grill plates. I'm pretty stoked with the speed of the reply and the no-fuss simplicity of it all. The $700-odd I spent on this thing 4 or 5 years ago has already been well worthwhile many times over - this is just the icing on the cake! :cheer2:

Attachments

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Only just seen this thread.. I love my Webber kettle classic so much I pissed off my gas BBQ.

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
^^ That grill is nasty.

How did you clean it (want to make sure I don't do whatever you are doing) ?
Nasty alright! The last straw was when I cooked a steak on it last night, and ended up with rusted off metal sticking to it...

Honestly, all I'd ever do is use the Weber grill brush to clean it off while it was still hot. Didn't ever do anything fancy or over the top to it. I really don't know why it's gone to shit in such a major way!

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
Nasty alright! The last straw was when I cooked a steak on it last night, and ended up with rusted off metal sticking to it...

Honestly, all I'd ever do is use the Weber grill brush to clean it off while it was still hot. Didn't ever do anything fancy or over the top to it. I really don't know why it's gone to shit in such a major way!
What would possess you to cook on that! That's like Lloyd Braun wanting to eat that old hotdog.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISikGtEMesE

stirk

Burner
Cleaning it...now there is the problem.
+10

A bit of nylon scourer action never hurts to clean off excess char buildup but smashing away with steelwool or anything really abrasive or even scraping away with a steel spatula is not a good idea as your simply removing all the flavour!

andrew9

Likes Dirt
My 8 year old (gas) grills always seems oily looking, no rust at all, even though I don't really oil it. I have sprayed it occasionally, like a year ago.
Do you use it often enough? I use mine pretty much once a week minimum, even in winter.

it might be a charcoal vs gas difference I guess

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
So this is the text of the email I got from Weber's customer service, including all the tips they have for cleaning the grill plates:

Thank you for your enquiry and photos. I’m sorry your grills have rusted over time.
Your original grills are still covered by our five year warranty, and so I have organised for you to receive replacements. The new grills are made of semi-gloss enamel, which means they are less prone to rust.

I have arranged a replacement set of grills to be couriered out to you, and a signature is required on delivery. You will receive an email so you can track your parcel. Your order reference number is PS 661181

A lot of things can contribute to rust, it is important to keep your weber out of the elements, so particularly if you live near the sea or have a pool, Salt from the ocean and chlorine in the air can contribute to fast rusting.

Avoid leaving your grill wet at any time, including after cleaning (never use cold water on a hot grill, this causes hairline fractures in the enamel it will then crack, flake and start to rust.

For day to day cleaning of the grill, the best method is to use a Weber grill brush.

After pre-heating your barbecue, while the grill is very hot, brush along the grill bars where food residue remains, alternatively you can clean your grill this way while it is still on after cooking (don't use any water on a hot grill).

It’s not necessary to wash your Q grill in water after every use but the grill should be washed in hot water and detergent after every five or six cooks to remove excess grease.

It’s handy to re-oil the grills from time to time. Simply remove from the BBQ and pop some oil on; spray oils can be good for this. When you place them back in the BBQ simply heat up the BBQ on low for 5-10 mins to re-seal the grills. (If you use your trivet a lot, for roasts or pizzas etc this can prove beneficial).

Try to keep the grill protected from the elements, particularly if you live near the sea or have a pool. Salt from the ocean and chlorine in the air can contribute to corrosion.

I've always just used the Weber grill brush, never used water on a hot grill. I do often grill stuff like chicken skewers that are marinated though, and the sugary marinade sticks like shit to a blanket. I really don't think that's the flavour I want to keep on it! I think I'll be much gentler with cleaning that type of stuff off this time around.