Reign or Mondraker?

binking

Squid
Hi All,

Currently riding a 2015 Trance 27.5 2 and after demo riding a 2016 Mondraker Foxy XR on the weekend I'm in love!! The difference in handling and suspension was night and day. I know longer travel bikes are supposed to climb slower but I was actually quicker on most of the climbs and much quicker on the downhills. Maybe because I was so excited, don't know.

However, I wanted to get some opinions from others that know a lot more than I do.

As a laman when it comes to mtb's the 2016 Reign 27.5 1 appears to be better on paper but I've never ridden one so can't compare how it performs against the Mondraker.

Any thoughts on which would be a better bike and why or other bikes worth considering.

Thanks in advance.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Hi All,

Currently riding a 2015 Trance 27.5 2 and after demo riding a 2016 Mondraker Foxy XR on the weekend I'm in love!! The difference in handling and suspension was night and day. I know longer travel bikes are supposed to climb slower but I was actually quicker on most of the climbs and much quicker on the downhills. Maybe because I was so excited, don't know.

However, I wanted to get some opinions from others that know a lot more than I do.

As a laman when it comes to mtb's the 2016 Reign 27.5 1 appears to be better on paper but I've never ridden one so can't compare how it performs against the Mondraker.

Any thoughts on which would be a better bike and why or other bikes worth considering.

Thanks in advance.
"Better" is a matter of personal opinion....
As Mitchy says, go have a pedal on a Reign. I suspect it will not ride like a Foxy XR, seeing that the Reign is far slacker than a Foxy and not really comparable.

October26

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Having owned both the Reign Advanced and the Mondraker Dune in the last 2 years I can say I personally like the Mondraker Dune better.
The Reign Advanced in a brilliant bike, certainly nothing wrong with it!
For me the Mondraker feels more refined. Also for my height the extra room on the top tube makes me feel much more comfortable. Fit is one of if not the most important part of bike riding, at least for me.

binking

Squid
Having owned both the Reign Advanced and the Mondraker Dune in the last 2 years I can say I personally like the Mondraker Dune better.
The Reign Advanced in a brilliant bike, certainly nothing wrong with it!
For me the Mondraker feels more refined. Also for my height the extra room on the top tube makes me feel much more comfortable. Fit is one of if not the most important part of bike riding, at least for me.
Hi October, glad to hear from someone that has owned a Giant and Mondraker.

I echo what you said exactly. I wouldn't compare my Trance to the Foxy XR but it did feel very well built and refined as you say.

Interested in how tall you are and what size frame you went for with the Dune. I'm 184cm and rode the medium frame Mondraker as it was the only one they had available. Felt a little cramped at first but didn't take long to get used to it.

ianganderton

Likes Dirt
Which year did Giant redo the geometry of the Reign? It's now one of the longest out there I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

October26

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Which year did Giant redo the geometry of the Reign? It's now one of the longest out there I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2015 I think was the newest designs. There are a few nice long bikes out there but the Mondraker is the longest reach, great for me at 196cm.