Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Sanded back the whole bus in 240 grit including the popper , 30 pads in total. Trying to get it prepped for 2 pack next week. Got a name of a real cool fella her in Bris that was going to gun it for me but then said he'd rent out his booth to me for 500 for 2 days...woot woot! ... I love spraying cars, really give me great satisfaction to see what is acheivable.
4th pic shows before n after sanding on roof
Spraying it yourself is bloody cool, excited to see results. Always wanted to spray a car, might be a project for the bmtroubleyou some day.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Righto, indicators all working, just flashing too fast for my liking. Resistors maybe? Using some chrome diamond indicators that'll get mounted on the rear bumper. Haven't even looked at tail lights yet, I know they're not wired properly at all so that's tomorrow's job, once they're all going it's all getting ripped apart again almost so I can cut the wires I had to make up myself to the right length.

Question/Opinions please, I want a bloody loud stereo but don't want the speakers visible anywhere. Sub will be hidden in guitar amp, just replace the amp speaker with sub and hey its a working sub box. Speakers though, where could I hide them without ruining sound quality. Doesn't seem like there's enough space between kick panel and battery and I've got an ocd thing about symmetry in the car. Ideas?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

stirk

Burner
Righto, indicators all working, just flashing too fast for my liking. Resistors maybe? Using some chrome diamond indicators that'll get mounted on the rear bumper. Haven't even looked at tail lights yet, I know they're not wired properly at all so that's tomorrow's job, once they're all going it's all getting ripped apart again almost so I can cut the wires I had to make up myself to the right length.

Question/Opinions please, I want a bloody loud stereo but don't want the speakers visible anywhere. Sub will be hidden in guitar amp, just replace the amp speaker with sub and hey its a working sub box. Speakers though, where could I hide them without ruining sound quality. Doesn't seem like there's enough space between kick panel and battery and I've got an ocd thing about symmetry in the car. Ideas?

Need it loud to drown out the air cooled beast.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
I want a bloody loud stereo but don't want the speakers visible anywhere. Sub will be hidden in guitar amp, just replace the amp speaker with sub and hey its a working sub box. Speakers though, where could I hide them without ruining sound quality. Doesn't seem like there's enough space between kick panel and battery and I've got an ocd thing about symmetry in the car. Ideas?
Speakers in a suitcase behind the rear seat trick?

nitro01

Likes Dirt
So everyone remembers my EL Falcon that got posted a few weeks or so ago... well, something happened that I didn't particularly want to happen...

The EL series engines use a distributor instead of coilpacks and unfortunately these distributors got shit quality gears. So, 4 teeth sheared off, wrecked the gear on the cam and the dizzy, there's metal all through the engine. Some of the freeze plugs have rotted out. New motor time :(

So, you may be seeing a one day engine swap post, hopefully not ending in the fuckwits thread, as I tear out the old 4.0l and replace.

Remind me to get an aftermarket distributor!

Will be sure to take lots of pics for you all.

Cheers,

Nitro :)

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Will be sure to take lots of pics for you all.

Cheers,

Please do, that's a big job I'd love to see a step by step through.

Seems the tailshaft in my blown VE GTS didn't like that 3rd gear clutch dump....
Damn hoons...

I have a tail light! Only one, haven't bothered testing the right side, too dark already. Dying battery isn't helping, neither is the rust repair job, there's no ground through the bog and paint but tested with a spare wire it's sweet. Tomorrow hopefully lots of drilling holes and sanding and the rear end of the car will be assembled, install lights and indicators properly then test out the led strip brake light in the vent.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
So I've just had someone tell me they were talking to a bloke about vee dubs and he mentioned I've got two beetles. This bloke mentions he's got a 58 bus, registered and he'd be keen on swapping for both. Seems too good to be true, surely a 58 bus would be worth more than a 71 and 61 beetle. Might look into buying it outright if he doesn't know what it's worth.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Bumper is on, looks great. Rear driver fender finally on, scraping the shitty red house paint off with a razor blade all day, didn't go too far but it works without harming the og paint, bit of cut and polish and bam, it's looking really good.

nitro01

Likes Dirt
Falcon runs!

215hp SOHC I6 with a 2.5" pipe, a meaty swaybar and freshly painted things all installed.

Took a couple of weekends and some serious time, but since I tore a hamstring I haven't been riding so more time for car work!

Most of it was plug and play which made it a little easier but some hoses were slightly difficult, holy hell the bellhousing sucked!!!! After a massive effort to get them out, turns out if you put a jack under the back of the gearbox, it's easier if you just undo the two transmission crossmember bolts, and drop the sucker down a bit, 18" of extension on a half inch drive with a flex joint, easy as.

It runs now, just got a little bit of vacuum line to figure out, and a new gasket on the thermostat, new radiator cos it's got a hole in it, get the engine serviced, and it'll be mint!

Driveway engine swap done! Cross it off the bucket list.

Will attach some pics when I get home from school

Cheers all,

PS: Inbox me if you want parts off a 115xxxkm E series I6, got some excess stuff now :)

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Falcon runs!
Shit yeah dude! Keen to see the photo's.

Phoar, those welds!
Mmmmm, VS are bloody nice, love mine. Those holes on the sides are for O2 sensors, makes tuning nice and easy but if you forget to put them back in it sounds like you've just added an extra 4 cylinders.

Did the VW nationals on the weekend, some nice cars out. Didn't bother with photos but my old man might have gotten some, if he can email em to me I'll post some up. Spoke to my mechanic out there, the beetle will be running the stocker 1600, for now. 1906cc project begins. 100hp should make for a nice way to get from A to B. Gives me enough time to throw all the cash into the suspension, brakes and the endooro build.

Last edited:

nitro01

Likes Dirt
Okay got delayed with photos, sorry lads. Thermostat housing broke so it's a whole lot of work to fix :/ will attach tonight!

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Pics of maaaaad engine swap
Shit hot dude, should be proud of that one. Same engine or does this one have more bells and whistles?

So after playing with indicators all night and not having them work, today I tried using the foz's battery and everything suddenly works, not sure on that but hey. So indicators work, tail and brake lights work but I've got them reversed for sake of testing/photos, and the custom 3rd brake light is in and I'm pretty content with how bright it is at night now. Will edit pics in when phone charges.

Last edited: