The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

Dene Dweller

Likes Dirt
I had a lovely automated phone call survey last night at 8pm, normally I would hang up but I decided to complete it with the most irrelevant answers to completely f*ck up their results. Wankers.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Unsure about that. I imagine it was one of the two main parties who have the legal ability to ignore the 'do not call' register, it was a bot with responses via keypad numbers.
A shame they don't identify themselves. More of a shame they don't respect the privacy.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
In a recent 730 interview with Malcom Turnbull ... Leigh Sales asked a question ...

"There is a husband and wife, one is a policemen, the other is a teacher ... How do they benefit from a corporate tax cut"

Malcom eventually said, "... economic prosperity benefits everyone ... " paraphrasing

While I was watching, I thought, what a wasted bloody opportunity for somebody who is supposed to be quick off his feet ... a great communicator

my Answer.
Corporate tax cuts provide a massive boost to the economy (presuming you collect the actual tax due) Economic prosperity means, more businesses will be successful and employ, more people in jobs, more disposable income for more people ...this means higher financial security for more people and potentially less crime, whether it's petty crime or whatever, it means police can focus on other things ... be proactive in prevention. It means income tax take is higher, which means govt has more money to spend on equipment and personnel for law enforcement as an example

For the teacher, it means more families able to afford private education if they so choose ... which means more money available for teachers, more resources available to students ... Or for the public sector, it means more govt funding given potential increased tax income. More help for teachers, smaller class sizes, more cross training / further education for teachers particularly in technology. My government has a better track record and blue print to produce this economic prosperity for the largest portion of our community.

In short.
economic prosperity means more jobs, which means more tax income (without lifting rates), which means improvements in our ability to both balance the budget whilst potentially increasing govt services such as law enforcement and education ... benefiting the Policemen and the Teacher amongst many others in our community.

Even if he kept it short and just spouted the last paragraph above ... Frack that was a simple answer ... on message and true to Capital C, Conservatives.

So much for being a great communicator ... That said, Leigh Sales just flusters the Libs.

note, I'm left of centre and live in Albo's seat so my vote is to keep Albo in over the looney greens. I'd rather self serving unionists then wacko green unionists ... But I'm pro Turnbull even if he frustrates me

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Yeah, couldn't agree more. Such as simple question that he could have totally nailed but he fumbled it like a buffoon.

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
[video=youtube;v8D79TkfQUI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8D79TkfQUI[/video]

Wish my generation engaged more with politics and this would get the viewership it deserves.

John U

MTB Precision
In a recent 730 interview with Malcom Turnbull ... Leigh Sales asked a question ...

"There is a husband and wife, one is a policemen, the other is a teacher ... How do they benefit from a corporate tax cut"

Malcom eventually said, "... economic prosperity benefits everyone ... " paraphrasing

While I was watching, I thought, what a wasted bloody opportunity for somebody who is supposed to be quick off his feet ... a great communicator

my Answer.
Corporate tax cuts provide a massive boost to the economy (presuming you collect the actual tax due) Economic prosperity means, more businesses will be successful and employ, more people in jobs, more disposable income for more people ...this means higher financial security for more people and potentially less crime, whether it's petty crime or whatever, it means police can focus on other things ... be proactive in prevention. It means income tax take is higher, which means govt has more money to spend on equipment and personnel for law enforcement as an example

For the teacher, it means more families able to afford private education if they so choose ... which means more money available for teachers, more resources available to students ... Or for the public sector, it means more govt funding given potential increased tax income. More help for teachers, smaller class sizes, more cross training / further education for teachers particularly in technology. My government has a better track record and blue print to produce this economic prosperity for the largest portion of our community.

In short.
economic prosperity means more jobs, which means more tax income (without lifting rates), which means improvements in our ability to both balance the budget whilst potentially increasing govt services such as law enforcement and education ... benefiting the Policemen and the Teacher amongst many others in our community.

Even if he kept it short and just spouted the last paragraph above ... Frack that was a simple answer ... on message and true to Capital C, Conservatives.

So much for being a great communicator ... That said, Leigh Sales just flusters the Libs.

note, I'm left of centre and live in Albo's seat so my vote is to keep Albo in over the looney greens. I'd rather self serving unionists then wacko green unionists ... But I'm pro Turnbull even if he frustrates me
So you're saying trickle down economics works? It doesn't. The majority of money stays with the wealthy few, while the majority of the community gets what's left over. It increases the divide. Turnbull knows it. Thus his answer.

If Leigh Sales flusters the Libs it because they still don't have much to say. From what I've heard recently she seems to go easy on them or support them (I heard of but didn't see an interview with Sales, Cormann and Burke where apparently Sales and Cormann where going the hack on Burke).

I'd be really interested to see where you came up on Vote Compass. Have you done it?

On a positive note Tony Burke has been performing really well.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
So you're saying trickle down economics works? It doesn't. The majority of money stays with the wealthy few, while the majority of the community gets what's left over. It increases the divide. Turnbull knows it. Thus his answer.

If Leigh Sales flusters the Libs it because they still don't have much to say. From what I've heard recently she seems to go easy on them or support them (I heard of but didn't see an interview with Sales, Cormann and Burke where apparently Sales and Cormann where going the hack on Burke).

I'd be really interested to see where you came up on Vote Compass. Have you done it?

On a positive note Tony Burke has been performing really well.
Firstly trickle down ... Speaking from first hand experience ... Yes I believe in trickle down, I live trickle down ... I'm a sub 2mil revenue business ... Profit is thin to annorexic ... Yet I employ 3 people full time a couple part time, some of whom earn more than me! My capital is therefore effectively benefiting the economy more then it is benefiting me. That's directly ... In directly ie, the retailers we do business with, the service providers we engage ... all of whom employ ... the gst we pay and collect etc etc are benefiting the economy tenfold from my capital. This is tickle down in effect 24/7

I often think Pushie is a social enterprise, not a business investment. But time will tell.

I see the flaw in the argument against the Libs focus on economic prosperity is that those against are confusing tax cuts with tax collection. We should be focusing on tax collection ... A cut in tax rate should be accompanied by closure of tax loop holes. Trickle down benefits multiply if government collects the tax reciepts. Do I believe the govts tax collection abilities are efficient, or that tax is equitable ( looking at international business tax collection) no I do not. But trickle down is about employment and increased tax reciepts via income tax, not business tax or a lack of will to collect the cash.

Do I believe international businesses will pass on the full benefit of their tax cuts in the form of increased employment. No! But they won't be benefiting anytime soon given the stepped increase and the time frames the libs have outlined in their policy. So, in this instance trickle down via tax relief to small to medium businesses such as mine is real and material.

Trickle down via economic prosperity ... Is it equitable ? no, but who says it has to be a 50:50 split of the pie. Again from a small business and entrepreneurial point of view. When my capital eventually generates a profit, after years of nothing, after years of employing others and benefiting the economy, after putting my future economic security at risk, should I feel guilty to have generated some excess returns, some of which may have been via tax relief? Pffft and meh, to you pinko unionists:fish:

Is the flaw in current inequities due to trickle down failing or is it due to corruptions / manipulation / collusion of business and politics? Two different things in my mind.

again ... I consider myself left of centre.

Re: Leigh Sales
yeah I agree, she has toned it down significantly ... She lets them talk now ... There were moments in the above interview where she was willing him to say the right thing.

Re: Vote Compass ... Eh? Learn me.

John U

MTB Precision
I am not doubting running your own business is hard graft and risky. My old man ran his own business and worked 7 days a week for 50 weeks a year. He loved it.

https://votecompass.abc.net.au

It's meant to tell you where you sit on the voting spectrum by answering a couple of questions. The results surprise quite a few people as the test shows them to be more progressive/conservative than they thought they were. It isn't perfect but it is interesting.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
Firstly trickle down ... Speaking from first hand experience ... Yes I believe in trickle down, I live trickle down ... I'm a sub 2mil revenue business ... Profit is thin to annorexic ... Yet I employ 3 people full time a couple part time, some of whom earn more than me! My capital is therefore effectively benefiting the economy more then it is benefiting me. That's directly ... In directly ie, the retailers we do business with, the service providers we engage ... all of whom employ ... the gst we pay and collect etc etc are benefiting the economy tenfold from my capital. This is tickle down in effect 24/7

I often think Pushie is a social enterprise, not a business investment. But time will tell.

I see the flaw in the argument against the Libs focus on economic prosperity is that those against are confusing tax cuts with tax collection. We should be focusing on tax collection ... A cut in tax rate should be accompanied by closure of tax loop holes. Trickle down benefits multiply if government collects the tax reciepts. Do I believe the govts tax collection abilities are efficient, or that tax is equitable ( looking at international business tax collection) no I do not. But trickle down is about employment and increased tax reciepts via income tax, not business tax or a lack of will to collect the cash.

Do I believe international businesses will pass on the full benefit of their tax cuts in the form of increased employment. No! But they won't be benefiting anytime soon given the stepped increase and the time frames the libs have outlined in their policy. So, in this instance trickle down via tax relief to small to medium businesses such as mine is real and material.

Trickle down via economic prosperity ... Is it equitable ? no, but who says it has to be a 50:50 split of the pie. Again from a small business and entrepreneurial point of view. When my capital eventually generates a profit, after years of nothing, after years of employing others and benefiting the economy, after putting my future economic security at risk, should I feel guilty to have generated some excess returns, some of which may have been via tax relief? Pffft and meh, to you pinko unionists:fish:

Is the flaw in current inequities due to trickle down failing or is it due to corruptions / manipulation / collusion of business and politics? Two different things in my mind.

again ... I consider myself left of centre.

Re: Leigh Sales
yeah I agree, she has toned it down significantly ... She lets them talk now ... There were moments in the above interview where she was willing him to say the right thing.

Re: Vote Compass ... Eh? Learn me.
I'm guessing that the number of employees you have is more dependent on the amount of goods/services that the market you are exposed to demands at the price that you charge. Increasing your wealth won't provide more employment just increase the divide. Sure you may not draw much of a wage but that doesn't matter when you own the business and the worth of the business is increasing and the low wage is probably in part for tax reasons.

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
That's not trickle down economics though - that's just working hard and running a business. Trickle down economics (or theory) is something else entirely. Now if your profits were fat to obese, you were a wealthy person, and then the Government decided to give you further tax breaks in the belief that by throwing money at you, that some of that money would filter down to help those who actually needed it...then yes, that would be trickle down economics.