Transition Scout... any opinions?

Warp

Likes Dirt
Hi!

Anyone has one or ridden one that can share their opinion?

I've searched and came up with very little.

It ticks most of my boxes for a new bike. No metric shock on the 2017, but I can live with that.

Cheers!

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
I don't think theres many here but check pinkbike and other forums, they get glowing reviews. Also, have you seen the new carbon one on pb? Good little promo video on it.

Next full susser will be on of these i reckon. That or the patrol.

Warp

Likes Dirt
I don't think theres many here but check pinkbike and other forums, they get glowing reviews. Also, have you seen the new carbon one on pb? Good little promo video on it.

Next full susser will be on of these i reckon. That or the patrol.
Thanks, bro,

Yeah, saw the carbon one. Sweet as, but the price...

dunndog

Eats Squid
They look pretty good! I have a carbon patrol on the way, I've been told today that I'm getting the 2017 upgrade treatment (great start to my Tranny relationship!!) and apparently the only difference between it and the '16 is the addition of the metric sizing shock jizz… someone said the scout carbon doesn't have this? Wonder why not, if the patrol does?

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Yeah, if the girly didnt have my balls in a vice I'dsell on for it though haha.

Just buy one mate haha, you know you want to.

And I reckon it'd cost them too much to change the scout at the moment, along with the patrol. They know they'll get there moneys worth out of the patrol as it's their biggest seller. The scout will probably follow in a year or so.

Yes I'm a fanboy, love my pbj!

Last edited:

allan.taylor64

Likes Dirt
They look like an awesome bike! Similar to Devinci Django too. I'd certainly be on one of they werent so pricey in aus. I know of a low end transition that's Australian wholesale is more than Canadian retail price....
Also other cool bikes in the category are GT Sensors and Yeti SB5s (although both are abit more bike)

dunndog

Eats Squid
What is the advantage of a metric shock.. i don't get why it even needs mentioning?
I reckon it should simplify things a lot and give frame designers a bit more room to get funky. common sense move really. short term pain, long term gain.

MrZ32

Likes Dirt
So there is no performance gains.. just a different sized shock that will help designers with frames..

Let me put it this way.. grab your current top of the line shock, swap it with a metric shock. No difference at all.

As much as i hate boost.. it actually is stiffer, allowing a 29er to have a similar stiffness to a 26" wheel... an actual improvement.. unlike metric

safreek

They look pretty good! I have a carbon patrol on the way, I've been told today that I'm getting the 2017 upgrade treatment (great start to my Tranny relationship!!) and apparently the only difference between it and the '16 is the addition of the metric sizing shock jizz… someone said the scout carbon doesn't have this? Wonder why not, if the patrol does?
have to say the tranny relationship sounds the go, best of both worlds

dunndog

Eats Squid
So there is no performance gains.. just a different sized shock that will help designers with frames..

Let me put it this way.. grab your current top of the line shock, swap it with a metric shock. No difference at all.

As much as i hate boost.. it actually is stiffer, allowing a 29er to have a similar stiffness to a 26" wheel... an actual improvement.. unlike metric
I think if you actually read about the metric change there are claimed improvements in the design and performance of the actual shocks too, on top of the potential for improved frame design and simplified industry standards. For once someone is actually trying to standardise things rather than add to the confusion!

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
^^^ True, if people read that article & still can't understand all the benefits then they have comprehension issues.

MrZ32

Likes Dirt
The shock is still a shock.. they made an improvement on their old design with more bush overlap.. wow.. because clearly that cannot be done with another shock.. or the evolution that comes with each year's newer designs.

The gains of you going to metric as opposed to let's say a push shock.. do you see where I'm going here? They could have put the new tech into a non metric design..

Im not saying that i don't like how simple it's become.. but if you believe every single marketing hype i feel sorry for you.

There isn't one piece of tech on there that could not be added to the old tech.. but rather than just redesign, they created yet another new standard to do so.

The comparison isn't really fair either.. they went from a 216mm shock to a 230mm one.. of course you can make the bigger shock feel better.

Last edited:

dunndog

Eats Squid
The shock is still a shock.. they made an improvement on their old design with more bush overlap.. wow.. because clearly that cannot be done with another shock.. or the evolution that comes with each year's newer designs.

The gains of you going to metric as opposed to let's say a push shock.. do you see where I'm going here? They could have put the new tech into a non metric design..

Im not saying that i don't like how simple it's become.. but if you believe every single marketing hype i feel sorry for up.

There isn't one piece of tech on there that could not be added to the old tech.. but rather than just redesign, they created yet another new standard to do so.

The comparison isn't really fair either.. they went from a 216mm shock to a 230mm one.. of course you can make the bigger shock feel better.
Incremental gains mate. don't feel sorry for me, I don't buy into a lot of marketing hype. If nothing ever changed, things would stay pretty stagnant wouldn't they.
Anyway, you don't have to like it, or subscribe to it, or use it. Frames and shocks won't all turn metric overnight. You'll still get them, and at reduced shillings as they become superseded tech. That's a win for you!

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
There was no industry standard non-metric design. That's the point - this seems to be an industry standard. But we will just have to wait & see how universally this is adopted.

Warp

Likes Dirt
There was no industry standard non-metric design. That's the point - this seems to be an industry standard. But we will just have to wait & see how universally this is adopted.
Supposedly it will reduce the amount of sizes... eventually.

The performance gains could have been implemented in current shocks as mentioned. If you notice, the new metric shocks are as long or longer for the same shock stroke.

Say, they could have kept a 200mm with a 50mm stroke and implement more bushing overlap and stuff. They should have to get rid of the 200x57, though and offer it as 216x57 or so.

Simplification or improvement could have been made with existing shock lengths, no doubt. Trunnion mounts exist since forever (Old RS Deluxe?) and there will always be a jerk designer that wants their shock to be just different (I am looking at you Peter Denk!)

So, we will have more sizes for a while, then maybe less or be back to where we started.

Fact is Giant is going Metric. They make bikes for just everyone and their mom. Most likely, the Metric thing will stick. I think it's a fad but no point on arguing. It's coming.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
My comparison isn't really fair either.. they went from a 216mm shock to a 230mm one.. of course you can make the bigger shock feel better.. .
...and the reason you can use a bigger shock in what's essentially the same frame? Metric.

The shock is just a spring, that regulates the compression/decompression of the suspension. The suspension dynamics of the frame have a bigger impact on performance than the shock.

Metric reclaims the room in the frame, stolen by those fucktards with their 27 and a bit wheels, for frame designers (whom, apparently were a part of the development pricess), allowing them to make less compromises to their design.

Yes Boost is stiffer....provided that all the various interacting elements are taken advantage of.

Looking at a single component in any mechanical system, as the linchpin of the performance, is bloody minded and ignorant.

#nickstevensisachunt

Last edited: