Good places for riding in canberra?

Hey guys
Recently i bought a bike with the intention of getting back into riding, more specifically downhill/trail riding, but i am lost for places and find it hard to get back into riding. I live in northside canberra but dont know where to begin my search.

Of course there is mount stromlo but that is too far out of the way, mount ainsiley was my first place but had no lucl please give me some ideas/suggestions! Any help/tips will be much appreciated
Thanks, Jesse

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Of all the places in Australia that are stacked with places to ride, Canberra is it for me. Do you have transport to get your bike to a track or are you riding from home?
There is so much riding at Stromlo at Majura Pines, you are very spoilt for choice.

mtboer

Likes Dirt
Isn't there still work to clear up the fallen trees in Majura Pines ??Majura.JPG

Last edited:

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
last weekend at least, a lot of Majura was closed off.

bruce ridge looking a bit scrappy with trees down and lingering puddles. still fine for a run though :)

kowen is fine, just muddy patches

haven't been to stromlo for a few weeks.

Bun

Likes Bikes
plenty of choices in Canberra. Stromlo, Bruce Ridge, Majura Pines, Old Tuggeranong Road Pines, Canberra Centenary Trail ( North loop from Forde down to Hall has a good flow section)

Jerrabomberra, I know it isn't Canberra but it's still close.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
plenty of choices in Canberra. Stromlo, Bruce Ridge, Majura Pines, Old Tuggeranong Road Pines, Canberra Centenary Trail ( North loop from Forde down to Hall has a good flow section)

Jerrabomberra, I know it isn't Canberra but it's still close.
+1

And Kowen/Sparrow too.

And Isaacs Ridge once the new gravity trails open, if that's more your style.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Friends and I recently went to Canberra for 3 days and rode Stromlo ,Bruce Ridge, Majura ,Sparrow Hill .
Stromlo was the favourite as good as any place i have ridden including OS.

BorisBC

Likes Bikes
just re-read... how is that far out of the way?

if you really can't be bothered traveling a whole 25 mins you have Majura
Ha OP might not have a car. Stromlo can be far to ride if you want a session there as well. Depending on where OP is, Bruce Ridge is awesome for a beginner and close to Belco, Gungahlin and Civic. Otherwise Majura is close to the Dickson area. Both are fantastic for beginner riding.

Also a Google search will give you trail maps for both locations.

stinkytodamax

Likes Dirt
Given you are north side Majura and Bruce are your best bets.

Bruce is smooth and flowing with few/no real prolonged climbs. An excellent place to ride for a quick blast or getting the skills up again. Bruce holds up well after rain which is a bonus given all the recent rain.

Majura Pines is great as well. A few more tree roots and bumps but its only as hard as you go fast. The newer machine built flow trails are excellent but warrant more climbing than say Bruce Ridge. The rewards for those efforts are in my opinion better.

All the other trails mentioned are excellent as well but Stromlo is still king for variety of well groomed flowing gravity trails. Some of us may argue to smooth in some sections these days but that smoothness helps cater for a wider variety of riders to have a good time.

Enjoy getting back amongst it.

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
bit off topic but any good places for young kids to ride? Will need to be fairly flat and smooth, my youngster is only 4 and isn't able to climb anything resembling a hill.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Any word on Isaacs? Is it open? What's it like?
The two DH runs are not officially open yet (the very bottom sections are open and are fun to sesh a few times). There is an XC trail which traverses across for about a kilometre which is fun and flowy and I think is open. Also the centenary trail runs through here and there is a new fun section which has been added to that at the mount Mugga Mugga end of Isaacs.

There are also a couple of fun unofficial runs if you know where to look ;)

Isaacs itself is one of the steeper parts of Canberra and the DH runs will probably be about the most technical in Canberra I would imagine.

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
bit off topic but any good places for young kids to ride? Will need to be fairly flat and smooth, my youngster is only 4 and isn't able to climb anything resembling a hill.
Head to the beginner area at Majura. Plenty of room to explore in a nice flat area.