Shock mount hardware

Lurkin

Likes Dirt
I recently purchased a fox air shock which has turned up without any hardware, other than DU bushings. This is fine, but now I'm faced with the dilemma of what shock mount option to use. The original plan was to use the cheapest form, but now I'm not too sure. It's been a number of years since I've owned a full suspension bike, there weren't this many options in those days!

Seems there is three different mount systems available:
Standard (Du bushing, then a press in fitting either side, now onto the mounting bolt)
Fox five piece mounting kit (No DU bushing uses a plastic fitting either side, then onto a steel though pin, spacers either side, onto the mounting bolt)
Needle bearing (bit unsure how this works. Looks like needle bearing replaces DU bushing altogether.. spacers on the outside of the needle bearing and the inner rollers are directly on the shock mount bolt)

Standard: $11 per end = $22 (this is using X-Fusion fittings, but should work)
Fox five piece mounting kit $30 per end = $60
Needle: $20 per end = $40

I'm keen on using needle as I can see the benefit (looks far, far smoother), but I just don't really get what the inner rollers of the bearing are actually resting on - is it the bolt directly or should there be a sleeve in there? Do they also need more frequent replacement or maintenance with all those moving parts? (this is for a commute bike)

If I think about the five piece design, its like Fox is trying to have a plastic, replaceable sleeve or buffer in between the shock and the bolt to prevent wear or damage to either the shock or bolt?

mossmanguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't know to much about mounting hardware although i replaced a Float x with an X2 a few months ago.
I paid $28 per end for the Fox mounting hardware which is made of nylon. Its good because you can push it out with your fingers and you don't need to design a special torture device out of a vice to get it out if you need to. Have never had a problem with it in the short time I've had it either. Cyclinic in Brisbane should have them on their online store if your looking.

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
AFAIK it depends on the diameter of the hardware. 6mm bolts will have a sleeve or an inner race, 8mm bolts will run without the inner race. I find the plastic 5 piece bushings to be far better than the old metal DU bush and I never had much success with needle bearings not crapping out in a week but that was years ago so i hope they have improved reliability.

DIYMTB has DU, 5 piece and needle bearings available. I would ditch the DU at the very least and move to 5 piece, the initial cost of 60 bucks an end includes all the reducers and spacers you need, after that it should be around 20 bucks for 2 sets of nylon bushes.

Lurkin

Likes Dirt
Ya, the bolts are 8mm.

DIYMTB is where the pricing came from. It's sounding like 5 piece is the go. After all, there must be a reason Fox has shifted to that rather than continued with the old or moved to needle given needle bearings aren't exactly a new thing.

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ya, the bolts are 8mm.

DIYMTB is where the pricing came from. It's sounding like 5 piece is the go. After all, there must be a reason Fox has shifted to that rather than continued with the old or moved to needle given needle bearings aren't exactly a new thing.
Rockshox are offering bearings on some of their deluxe and super deluxe shocks, and the trunnion mounts we are seeing more of are intended to run inside bearings in the frame or linkage, so there is merit to it, as there always has been. Ill wait for longevity results on the new generation before i start investing too much though.