2016 DMR Trailstar

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
This is what I'm building up at the moment. Been MTB-less for a while, so just getting back into it and thought I'd build something I can do everything on. I'm not particularly fussed about going fast on the MTB, just want to ride it all day, throw it around and have fun, but I will try and use it for bike packing too and see how it goes.

I've almost got all the parts for it, so it should come together in the next week or two. Stoked! Expecting around 12.5kg, would be great to get it under 12kg but don't think it'll happen on this budget. Went for a 30T chainring to spin up single track and going for a red and black theme

IMG_5890.jpg

Specs:
FrameDMR Trailstar (Large)
ForkManitou Mattoc Expert 160mm (may drop to 140-150mm, but will see how it rides first)
HeadsetFSA Orbit C-40-ACB
Bottom BracketShimano XTR BB-SM93
CranksShimano XT M8000
ChainringShimano XT 30 tooth, 1x11
PedalsShimano XTR Trail PD-M9020
HubsHope Pro4, 15mm thru axle (Red)
RimsSpank Oozy 295 (Red)
Spokes/Nipples
DTS Comp / DTS Pro-Lock
BrakesShimano SLX M675
RotorsShimano RT86 180/160 (still deciding)
ShifterShimano XTR M9000
Rear DerailleurShimano XT M8000
CassetteShimano XT 11spd 11-42T
Stem
Thomson Elite X4 50mm
HandlebarBontrager Rhythm Pro Carbon
Grips
ODI Ruffian Lock-on
SeatpostThomson Elite Layback 31.6mm
Seatpost ClampHope QR
SaddleBontrager Kovee Elite
ChainHG-701 11spd
Tyresundecided

Elbo

Thanks mate! Pretty keen to get back on a MTB and especially do some backcountry rides

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
It's abit different to the original trailstar isn't it! Can't wait for a ride report mate, looks like a good thing.

Elbo

It's abit different to the original trailstar isn't it! Can't wait for a ride report mate, looks like a good thing.
Very different! I probably got somewhat suckered in by nostalgia, but I'm very keen to get it built and ride it. Will definitely post a ride report when done. Hopefully christen it with a weekend of exploring.

Great looking frames these.
I'm very happy with the frame at this point. My only qualms would be a spot of paint run around the disc post mount on the rear, the badge isn't stuck on very well and the design of where the chain stays meet the seat tube doesn't seem to really suit the flow of the rest of the bike's curves. It looks strong though! Overall, I'm impressed with the finish; semi-matte black with what seems like a touch of metal flake/speckle throughout. Very understated, but black bikes always work well with a few anodised parts, in my opinion.

Elbo

Have you decided what rubber to run yet?
Not yet, but I'm thinking either Maxxis Ardent's front and rear, Ignitor/Ardent combo or Bontrager XR3's. Not gonna run anything too wide or heavy as I want to ride this thing around all day. Need to get some tape and valves to seal up the rims too.

Elbo

Did a bit more building after work today. 180mm rotor on the rear might be overkill, but will wait and see what it looks like when it's finished.
FullSizeRender-2.jpg

Elbo

Finished the build on this last night! Can't wait to ride it!
Total weight came to 13.1kg

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
Looks like it'll be great fun mate! The large size is about an 18"? Or are sizes just differentiated by top tube length?

Travis22

Likes Dirt
Congrats Elbo, great job! Looks fantastic, strange but fantastic ;)

(Ive still got my original Trailstar from 1998 - thus these ones look a bit 'different' to me).

Travis.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Nice build mate! Looks the goods.

How long till you get it dirty? Gonna throw up a cheeky ride report?

Elbo

Looks like it'll be great fun mate! The large size is about an 18"? Or are sizes just differentiated by top tube length?
Thanks mate! Looking forward to take it for a decent spin. It's hard to say because the geometry is so whack compared to other bikes. Virtual top-tube on the large is 634mm and the seat tube is 48cm. It's super long, but I'd normally ride a 19-20" and it feels fine.

Nice! Geez it looks slack.
Thanks mate! It's so slack! Think I will definitely drop the travel on the fork when I get a chance, just to speed things up a bit.

Looking good. I really like the AM hardtails. Nice color choice too.
Thanks! Spent quite a few months planning it out and ended up settling on a mostly black build with a bit of red. Never gone for coloured rims or hubs before, but I'm very happy with the Hope hubs and Spank rims :)

Elbo

Congrats Elbo, great job! Looks fantastic, strange but fantastic ;)

(Ive still got my original Trailstar from 1998 - thus these ones look a bit 'different' to me).

Travis.
Haha, thanks Travis. I get what you mean. It's such a different bike to the old Trailstar, they probably should've called it something different.

Nice build mate! Looks the goods.

How long till you get it dirty? Gonna throw up a cheeky ride report?
I couldn't help myself and just went for a quick blast around the streets, so responsive and so much fun. I'll definitely do up a ride report after I get some saddle time in mate. Probably won't get a decent ride until October, flat out with work and moving house/city at the moment.

Schweet looking ride . Hope it rides as well as it look :thumb:
Thanks mate! I hope so too. Will report back after I get some decent ride time in.

Looks rad! Long too (for a large frame). Should be really stable over the rough stuff.
The length of the thing was one of my main concerns buying the frame without having ridden one. I got in touch with Ollie from DMR and he was adamant the Large was the way to go for someone my size (6'2"). I was considering the medium because the large seemed way too long. But for some reason it doesn't seem to translate in real life. Yes, I'm running a 50mm stem, but I'm also running a layback seat post. It feels very comfortable for me just cruising around. The test will be after a few hours in the saddle. I feel the bars are probably a tad too wide as they are now, so may cut them down 15-20mm both sides soon, but will test off road first.