2017 Banshee Phantom or Kona Process 111 Frame?

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
gearing up to buy a FS 29er frame to replace my Banshee Paradox HT. the Paradox is fine, I'm just middle aged and creaky and need a more cushy ride than the HT.

I'm thinking the Phantom might be better as the rear triangle should be very stiff with FA lateral flex. Anyone ridden a recent phantom or process 111? how did you find the ride on them?

if I go Phantom, I'm not sure what shock CC (not sure which) or Monarch RT3 would be best for a heavy bugger like me 110kg...
if I go Process, would the monarch RT shock be ok for my weight?

already have a X=Fusion trace HLR fork to use. currently 120mm but can be set to 140mm max travel.

Also, any idea what Cane Creek Angleset would suit these? ze germans seem to have a good selection inc the 1.5deg versions... CRC etc only seem to have the 1deg models

Last edited:

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Can't comment on the Process Vs Phantom, either would be great.
But to adjust the geo perhaps offset bushings are the way forward? Seen some awesome looking ones on offsetbushings.com (never used them but they seem really well made from what I can see).
Just an option....

ForkinGreat

the offset bushings look like a cool low cost option. It might lower the BB a tad much(??) Phantom and Process BBs are already fairly low it seems.

allan.taylor64

Likes Dirt
I Cant comment on Phantom vs 111 but I do work in a shop that sells Kona and we haven't had one warranty issue with a single Kona. That says a lot about the brand.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Phantom has adjustable dropouts allowing for different HA's. Also allow for different hub standards.

FatMuz

Likes Dirt
Contact Stu at Defcon. info@defconcycles.com.au
I'm pretty sure his personal Spitty runs an angle headset, so he'll point you in the right direction as far as that goes.
Phantom is cool...I've owned two (don't ask) but have you considered the Prime, which I actually prefer over the Phantom.
Can't wait for the 2017 Prime frame to arrive.

rsclio

Likes Dirt
Ive got the same 2 on my radar.
Just before the process line came out I got a Satori which has been an awesome bike
Then I was tempted to try the 27.5 and picked up a used spitfire frame.
So I have relatives of each!
Spitty is an Awesome bike but did not really blow me away after the Kona.

I have had a quick spin on a 111DL which I gelled with instantly
Not ridden a Phantom but would love to try one out.
Kona geo changed a lot for 2017 a lot longer TT may be which fits you best.
That said if it is of importance to you Phantom has a threaded BB

ForkinGreat

I'm pretty sure his personal Spitty runs an angle headset, so he'll point you in the right direction as far as that goes.
Phantom is cool...I've owned two (don't ask) but have you considered the Prime, which I actually prefer over the Phantom.
I've already got a Rune, so I'm really looking for a shorter travel trail bike for a different sort of ride feel.

@ rsclio - threaded BB is a plus.

Last edited:

Henry Grover

Cannon Fodder
Phantom issues

Hey i know i'm not supposed to ask but I have a phantom too and just cracked the top tube right at the head tube and down tube. How was banshee with the warranty process? Would you get another phantom?

Thanks!

juan

Likes Dirt
I had 2 rides on a kona process 111 and is posibly the best bike i ever ridden, a xc bike with a motocrosser heart!

waldog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Kona demo ride in Melbourne????

Shall we revive this conversation? Yes.

My nose keeps sniffing out the Process 111, but not having ridden any 29ers properly, well aware they've changed over the years, i'd really want to throw a leg over before purchasing.

Is there anywhere in Melbourne that has a demo rig? Anyone on here willing to meet up for a ride and let me pedal theirs for a bit?

Cheers, Grant.

SDA

Likes Dirt
Shall we revive this conversation? Yes.

My nose keeps sniffing out the Process 111, but not having ridden any 29ers properly, well aware they've changed over the years, i'd really want to throw a leg over before purchasing.

Is there anywhere in Melbourne that has a demo rig? Anyone on here willing to meet up for a ride and let me pedal theirs for a bit?

Cheers, Grant.
Try Yarra Valley Cycles. Great bike - loved mine!