Giving an older frame a new lease on life?

chunkyapple

Sherlock Pommes
it might be my thread, was lookikng to make an old DH frame (stab or atomik, i have both just sitting there rotting away...) an all mountain bike
http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/sho...ilding-up-old-frame-into-new-All-Mountain-rig

I see your from northern nsw, im inland from newcastle and once I looked at collecting all the parts for what I wanted and adding postage/risk of buying used parts unseen it was just cheaper to buy a used bike with more suitable geometry.
I have no time to drive up and down to sydney to check out individual parts anymore (30's, job and kids etc)

It is a shame to have old frames sitting around gathering dust, but with people thinking of bikes as fashionistic props for the cafe it means 5-6yr old bikes are cheap as chips. there loss, my gain :love:

Yeah I was up near Lennox Head but back down in Sydney now actually. I actually do think it would be cheaper to buy something complete but I want the satisfaction of building it and having something a little bit out of the ordinary. I'm pretty confident that it will ride just as good with the new components on it.

That looks as good as an orange...if not a more modern orange swingarm like my '14 Alpine.
View attachment 332274
Its a good looking frame, and the HA looks pretty modern. For the record, I wasn't trying to, and definitely didn't, show up any kids....but that wasn't the bikes fault.....
Yeah it's a pretty timeless design really, honestly your 222 really doesn't look that outdated either. Just clean and simple. HA is definitely still in the field of the newer bikes, and the spec will match too. I think it should stack up pretty well against the new rigs. I'm not placing any bets about showing up any young'ns but I'd like to inspire a little more fondness for the older rigs!

I still have an old 06 Spesh Demo 9 as my DH bike. 2011 Fox 40s, and 2012 Shimano drivetrain. Still got the old 2006 DeeMaxes though :)

Waiting for the frame to crack around the bottom bracket/shock cage though. They all do.
That's awesome mate, seems like it's doing pretty well for a decade old rig!

rgy1993

Likes Dirt
Posted this on another thread recently but also got an oldie that's still going over here. Going uphill on the tank sucks but it makes up for it coming back down, so much momentum just point her in a straight line and she plows through the rough stuff.

More recent pic rocking new Ardents and sans-dropper for a shuttle day:
14240927_1110992878992272_60567911_n.jpg

chunkyapple

Sherlock Pommes
and I think that's the wise thing to do..

Sort of back on topic, is there a decent complete wheelset out there that's sort of in the middle ground in terms of weight, price and quality? Need 20mm front and 150x12 rear. I've been out of the loop for a while so I'm not sure who's making the good stuff until I find my feet in the component world again.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
and I think that's the wise thing to do..

Sort of back on topic, is there a decent complete wheelset out there that's sort of in the middle ground in terms of weight, price and quality? Need 20mm front and 150x12 rear. I've been out of the loop for a while so I'm not sure who's making the good stuff until I find my feet in the component world again.
Hope Pro 4 to Stans Flow MK3 around $700. CRC have a build service. or buy the bits and do it yourself. Or Hope Enduro wheelset for just under $600.

Last edited:

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Having just retired a bike that I resurected ~12 months ago, its totally worth it. Got the parts I wanted mostly on sale from CRC etc, built it up and rode it and it felt better than it ever did. Since i already had the frame, cost was pretty reasonable, parts are certainly cheaper these days than they ever were when you would have bought that frame new! I was smart and mostly got items that would carry forward onto a new frame which is what ive just done.

Having said that, I have a 26" wheelset that isn't going to get used anymore... Hadley 150x12, Dice 20mm, Mavic 823 both ends, probably ~5 shuttle days on them thanks to a fork warranty before I moved to a 27.5 frame...