Site search advice

stirk

Burner
The forum software search function is as limp as a flogged fork.

If you try and search for a topic and include a user name you get no results.

General searches are shit and return poor results.

Using Google you can get far better results for searching this forum.

It's not a fault of the forum or the owner of the forum, just a fact that Google has algorithms that are better than the forum software at returning valid results.

Maybe a good sticky.

Use Google and enter your search query and then enter site:rotorburn.com and Google will only return results of your query from Rotorburn.com.

Obviously works for others sites in the same manner.

So in searching for my user name I get this old thread as a first page link, sigh.

Example of search.

Stirk site:rotorburn.com

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-298748.html

I can be a fuckwit at times, sorry fellas I'm all good at heart.

Dogs just rocked up for a cuddle gotta go!

Last edited:

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
You ah, you tried the advanced search button under the text entry search box? It's top notch.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
You ah, you tried the advanced search button under the text entry search box? It's top notch.
I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that...

None of the search functions on site work well. Short of Moorey making a you tube tutorial demonstrating how he seems to get such crisp search results, the google option is quite reliable. It would make a good sticky in the noob section.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that...

None of the search functions on site work well. Short of Moorey making a you tube tutorial demonstrating how he seems to get such crisp search results, the google option is quite reliable. It would make a good sticky in the noob section.
Moorey doesn't need a search function, he's memorised the entire forum, the Rain Man of Rotorburn.

stirk

Burner
Holy crap it does work!!

IMG_20160928_122640.jpg

IMG_20160928_122537.jpg

Seriously though, if I search for user knuckles and term tomahawk it returns nothing which is weird as I know he said something bad about the tyre so I went looking for the thread to find out why he didn't like the tomahawk as apart from wearing down quickly I like it as a rear tyre.

My Google method finds the thread and even takes you to the relevant page.

Advanced search, if it returns anything, only takes you to the thread not the page.

IMG_20160928_122554.jpg

Advanced search returns this...

IMG_20160928_122537.jpg

Google takes me to a relevant thread page!

IMG_20160928_122513.jpg

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
That's odd, should return something, as I've said something bad about pretty much everything on this plane of existence...

#knuckleswasadrunkenchunt