BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

Switch

huskier headed gent
The problem with those T bolts is the thread is too short to fit the Proride, they need to be 60mm long which is where I am encountering the problems. Grinding down the heads on the existing bolts worries me too as all the force of the the bike carrier is concentrated on three screws. Maybe I should just bump up the insurance on the bike and run the gauntlet.

bhibbert

Likes Bikes
The problem with those T bolts is the thread is too short to fit the Proride, they need to be 60mm long which is where I am encountering the problems. Grinding down the heads on the existing bolts worries me too as all the force of the the bike carrier is concentrated on three screws. Maybe I should just bump up the insurance on the bike and run the gauntlet.
I ground mine down and had no problems for three years. Just be conservative when actually taking the metal off, you only need them to just slide into spot. Then don't touch them again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beej1

The problem with those T bolts is the thread is too short to fit the Proride, they need to be 60mm long which is where I am encountering the problems.
That's right - now I remember. It was 2 long ones for front, 1 short one for back. Like this: http://www.roofrackstore.com.au/thule-fit-kit-591-rola-fk-591-rola-p-300177.html

Discontinued, apparently. Might be that Rola stopped making that profile of cross bar. I'd be really surprised if there were zero in existence, anywhere. If you hunted long enough, you'd find them.

Failing that, if the bolts you have that don't fit are the same as the ones I had that didn't fit (i.e. both with flat, rectangular tops, as opposed to a T as wide as the bolt), the difference holding them side by side was so small to me I thought at the time I should've just grinded them down.

I wonder if anyone involved in this thread did the grind - or if they're still active users: http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?265519-Thule-591-mounting-dilemma

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
Even the very best bike rack security merely slows down a decent bike thief...
Security is an interesting thing in terms of human behaviour H(aich)aakon :wink:

I find the most practical is a good quality bicycle security cable and pad lock. Looped through the bicycle frames, through the carrier lanyard point and pivot base and then secured to the vehicle chassis. Locks the bikes to the carrier and then the carrier to the car. This is a highly effective solution because it discourages the opportunistic thief and does not tempt the honest man.

Covert or subdued security does not discourage a thief until after they have attempted theft and then it's too late.

If you go overboard, you present a challenge to a would-be vandal and they may turn around and lash back and cause damage just to teach you a lesson. There are sickos out there.

After all these years of simple and visible security, I have never had a problem - even overnight in Halls Creek. The only thing is that you should never drive with the security cable attached. If anything is going to snag a branch or rock it'll be the cable.

In a nutshell, keep reasonable to not tempt a thief but if they must steal your bike, then they will but make it so that they don't cause thousands of dollars additional damage in doing so.

Switch

huskier headed gent
Just in case anyone ends up in the same situation the Thule FK 591 adapters for rola racks are now discontinued so ended up breaking out the grinder to fit my Thule 591. Ended up only taking a small amount of metal off so feel confident with the outcome.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
This contraption arrived today from Germany. Now to weld up a bracket to attach the bike rack. A very neat bit of engineering - those crafty krauts:)

photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPG

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think Haichkon's device is a lever operated towball attachment device involving crafty krauts

vertical open, horizontal locked on, maybe?

Haakon

Keeps on digging
It's so he can attach things directly to his ball.
Yep. The europeans only have the shaft with a knob on the end to hang onto, so a method of gripping the ball directly is the only way to ensure satisfaction. There is no receptacle for inserting a conventional arrangement.

Its the active ingredient from a Saffier rack http://www.fietsendragercenter.nl/product/450393/pro-user-saffier-iv-qc.html

But I can use it with my proper wheel cradle and top hook rack http://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/2-bicycle-bike-rack-hitch-mount-carrier-car/CB-640A

Last edited:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Yep. The europeans only have the shaft with a knob on the end to hang onto, so a method of gripping the ball directly is the only way to ensure satisfaction.
I would imagine that it is difficult to walk normally though.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
That's novel. Why not replace that swan neck with another 2-bolt tongue - with a square receiver tube?
Because big two inch receivers are ugly as hell, and complete overkill on a light car. The towbar Renault Oz sell thats a 2 inch receiver weighs a tonne, requires modification of the car to fit and is very expensive - the european made Bosal towbar is cheap, appropriately specced weight wise and properly designed to fit the car without modification.

Also, this contraption means the bike rack literally drops onto the car in a matter of seconds, and without changing the car's setup from when I had the kayak carrying trailer in use.

If we were in europe, you'd be asked in an equally bemused fashion about why you muck around with 2 inch receivers when you could simply use an adapter that drops onto the towball ;-)

Last edited:

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
Because big two inch receivers are ugly as hell, and complete overkill on a light car. The towbar Renault Oz sell thats a 2 inch receiver weighs a tonne, requires modification of the car to fit and is very expensive - the european made Bosal towbar is cheap, appropriately specced weight wise and properly designed to fit the car without modification.

Also, this contraption means the bike rack literally drops onto the car in a matter of seconds, and without changing the car's setup from when I had the kayak carrying trailer in use.

If we were in europe, you'd be asked in an equally bemused fashion about why you muck around with 2 inch receivers when you could simply use an adapter that drops onto the towball ;-)
No I meant replace the 2-bolt swan neck with a proper tow bar tongue. A heck of a lot less than a nut wrapper.

Thank goodness we're in Australia. The Euros kill for a decent tow bar.

BTW. Your Renault. Is that a RS Clio?

Haakon

Keeps on digging
No I meant replace the 2-bolt swan neck with a proper tow bar tongue. A heck of a lot less than a nut wrapper.

Thank goodness we're in Australia. The Euros kill for a decent tow bar.

BTW. Your Renault. Is that a RS Clio?
I did look into making a reciever I could bolt on in it's place, but then I'd have to swap on the swan neck every time I wanted to use the trailer.

It's a decent towbar - it's fit for purpose. The car doesn't tow more than 500kg, it doesn't need a giant spec bar more suited to a landcruiser!

And no, it's the bog basic clio - 900cc turbo 3 cylinder :) But unlike the RS, it has a proper manual. It's a really fun car to drive!

Last edited:

Haakon

Keeps on digging
And yes, the time involved in swapping attachments is marginal - there is also a decent dose of OCD involved in finding a "neat" solution :)

I already made an adaptor with 30mm square tube on one end that bolts in the place of the swan neck, and 50mm on the other end to mount the rack. Works well and I'd use it prefenrce to the ball grabber on long trips.

Last edited: