Looks like the sram geo-block has reached germany.

cramhobart

Likes Dirt
Bike 24, and bike discount will no longer ship sram, rockshox to aus. Bike components will but for how long? In my ideal world Hope will release an 11 speed shifter, derailleur some time in the near future.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Funny how companies that want a Global presence seemingly love to screw you over when you might go ahead and actually buy globally too. Pity, I had a soft spot for SRAM.

If I really needed a SRAM goodie then I'd mess around with shipitto and browser proxies but until then it is f^&k you SRAM. Insert your longest and sharpest product sideways up your arse. Long live the competition till they try to pull the same stunt :rant:

Dear Monza Imports, I won't be buying anything else from you either so you won't win in the end.

jarrod839

Banned
Ring around your LBS the price difference between OS and here really isn't that bad.
About 30 difference in sram brakes and 40-50 in derailers.
Suspension is still cheaper by a fair bit OS.

skinnybeans

Likes Dirt
Noticed this earlier in the week when looking for new fork. Was tossing up between a lyrik and fox 36.

Lyrik was cheaper from overseas, but then realised they wouldn't ship it here so got a 36 locally.

This seems like a really good move to push people over to shimano/fox/hope...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Noticed this earlier in the week when looking for new fork. Was tossing up between a lyrik and fox 36.

Lyrik was cheaper from overseas, but then realised they wouldn't ship it here so got a 36 locally.

This seems like a really good move to push people over to shimano/fox/hope...

Wondering if I can modify a dt Swiss shimano freehub to take a hope cassette.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Suspension is still cheaper by a fair bit OS.
For an order less than AUD$1000 I'd agree, but as soon as you exceed $1000 you need to add at least 15% for customs duty and GST; it makes the Aussie stores quite competitive at that point. And if the government makes good on its plan to reduce the GST free threshold to $100 then you'll basically need to factor a 10% premium on virtually everything you buy OS.

Just had a quick look - a set of Pikes from bike exchange would cost you about AUD$900 delivered based on current Visa exchange rate (1 EU = 1.435572 AUD) and adding 3% currency conversion fee. No duty or GST applicable. That's a pretty good deal isn't it... Buy from CRC though (if the wishlist hack still works) and CRC's delivered value is AUD$1087, to which you need to add 5% duty and 10% GST, total is about $1255 - pushys is cheaper.

Still pays to shop around I guess, and buy stuff when it's on sale - just look at the price of Cane Creek shocks on mountainbikesdirect at the moment.

I wonder how these EU/UK/US online stores feel about being told who they can and can't sell stuff to? You'd think that with the sort of trade volume they must do, they could dictate the terms to $RAM rather than be other way around, even if their Australian sales only represented a small percentage of their overall trade.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
I wonder how these EU/UK/US online stores feel about being told who they can and can't sell stuff to? You'd think that with the sort of trade volume they must do, they could dictate the terms to $RAM rather than be other way around, even if their Australian sales only represented a small percentage of their overall trade.
How does that work?

Mr CRC: With the utmost respect Mr SRAM, I'll jolly well sell to whomever I please.

Mr SRAM: No problem at all Mr CRC but I can no longer sell you any product.

Customers want product, they will buy it from another source. Mr CRC just handpasses his SRAM business to someone else in the European Union.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Well I bought a Monarch RT3 with extra volume spacers from the Germans for $280 delivered to my door.

Good fucking luck getting close to that sourcing locally.

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well I bought a Monarch RT3 with extra volume spacers from the Germans for $280 delivered to my door.

Good fucking luck getting close to that sourcing locally.
Yeah I got a Bluto shipped for under $400!

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
How does that work?

Mr CRC: With the utmost respect Mr SRAM, I'll jolly well sell to whomever I please.

Mr SRAM: No problem at all Mr CRC but I can no longer sell you any product.

Customers want product, they will buy it from another source. Mr CRC just handpasses his SRAM business to someone else in the European Union.
Think that's a fairly simplistic view BK, but you're probably right; it's not like all those global sellers are going to band together in protest against the restriction. Although, CRC technically won't be in the EU any more; what's the likelihood that SRAM will block CRC from selling to the EU, or block the Germans from selling into the UK in order to look after the UK local distributors? Zero.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Think that's a fairly simplistic view BK, but you're probably right; it's not like all those global sellers are going to band together in protest against the restriction. Although, CRC technically won't be in the EU any more; what's the likelihood that SRAM will block CRC from selling to the EU, or block the Germans from selling into the UK in order to look after the UK local distributors? Zero.
I'd say there is every chance. This isn't the result of a SRAM directive purely to placate Monza or Australian retailers. It will be a global policy from SRAM to protect all of its partners in all markets.

Plenty of manufacturers of all types of consumer goods have done the same. Won't stop grey importing though.