Protective gear for DH?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
"who's your Muppet?"

In my anecdotal experience back plates (the slider ninja turtle style jobs) are good for break dancing back spins and direct impact. Accidents that compress or twist your spine up are still going to wreck your shit to some degree. I had a fall on snow a few years ago, basically did a bum first Bomb from about 2m up, where the impact left me with quite a concussion despite not hitting my head. I must have hit my brain. A friend had a similar crash from much higher and blew a vertebra. Our nifty back protection was just uncomfortable. I still wore one for years. Then still took it with me and didn't use it for more years. Now I don't have it and I still worry I may have wished I was wearing it...fuck I hope not!
I see a lot of open handed strikes rather than punching. I'm not judging the guys, but slapping...you know.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Back protectors, I read some reasearch based on Dianese back protectors a while back, but if you rag doll your self down a hill, there is a good chance of trauma to your back, perhaps significantly, as the weight and inertia of you lower limbs vs you upper limbs and body may rotate in opposite directions potentially damaging the spinal column. Almost like why professional bowlers in cricket often have wrecked backs.
I had a crash while wearing my back protector once and walked away from it, therefore I am living proof that back protectors work. Men um en na do do da doo do...

I wear one for precisely the reason you mention (direct impact from rocks etc to the spine in an OTB situation), but I wouldn't expect it to save me a catastrophic event where high torsional forces are at play. It's built into my backpack, which I wear all the time anyway to carry my butt plugs, anal beads, lube and dildos.

Last edited:

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
It's built into my backpack, which I wear all the time anyway to carry my butt plugs, anal beads, lube and dildos.
No doubt all made fron carbon fibre and Ti to save weight for said personal development devices in case you get the urge for a rogering while out riding.

'Hold on crew, just a few minutes, can you hold onto this for me and push when I say yeehaarrr ...... '

Not that theres anything wrong with that ......... ...... Ummm....

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
No doubt all made fron carbon fibre and Ti to save weight for said personal development devices in case you get the urge for a rogering while out riding.

'Hold on crew, just a few minutes, can you hold onto this for me and push when I say yeehaarrr ...... '

Not that theres anything wrong with that ......... ...... Ummm....
So #ravinghomosexualenduro bro....

MARKL

Eats Squid
Wish I had seen this thread earlier, fucking hilarious. I hope Jarrod only has a temporary ban cause he is awesome funny, kinda like when you see a three year old having a dummy spit and parent is trying to reason with them.

the fact I'm still walking along with many others cause they chose to wear one is evidence.
Years ago a mate of mine broke his neck riding, around 1999. A couple of weeks later her walked into Emergency and explained what happened, still having a sore neck. They weren't busy and did an x-ray, no waiting around to write up the report the emergency staff came out and said 'don't move, whatever you do, don't move' put him on a spinal board, surgery and a halo. All without a neck brace...some times you are lucky or unlucky...OR absolute evidence you don't need one?

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Just as a side note to what occurred in this thread, this might explain at least part of it.

'naïve realism is the human tendency to believe that we see the world around us objectively, and that people who disagree with us must be uninformed, irrational, or biased. Naïve realism provides a theoretical basis for several other cognitive biases, which are systematic errors in thinking and decision-making. These include the false consensus effect, actor-observer bias, bias blind spot, and fundamental attribution error, among others'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naïve_realism_(psychology)

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Just as a side note to what occurred in this thread, this might explain at least part of it.

'naïve realism is the human tendency to believe that we see the world around us objectively, and that people who disagree with us must be uninformed, irrational, or biased. Naïve realism provides a theoretical basis for several other cognitive biases, which are systematic errors in thinking and decision-making. These include the false consensus effect, actor-observer bias, bias blind spot, and fundamental attribution error, among others'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naïve_realism_(psychology)
I'd expect that sort of mumbo jumbo from a raving homosexual enduro rider....

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
I'd expect that sort of mumbo jumbo from a raving homosexual enduro rider....
Never seen him waving glowsticks around and listening to techno or psy-trance, doesn't mean it hasn't happened though.... I always thought he was more of a downhill rider.
perhaps there has been some furtive enduro-style transition stage climbing going on between runs....:noidea:

scblack

Leucocholic
Wow didn't this thread turn out to be the entertainment we never expected. How does a person manage to embarrass themselves so completely, and keep a straight face? What a complete tool.

I almost regret attending my Rugby Club lunch on Friday. I may well have enjoyed following this idiot's fall from grace more than drinking as much beer as I could stomach all that afternoon...maybe...

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Wow didn't this thread turn out to be the entertainment we never expected. How does a person manage to embarrass themselves so completely, and keep a straight face? What a complete tool....
Meh, was to be expected from the only person on the planet, between the ages of 3 and 103,who can't get a Maxxis tyre to seat tubeless.

#knuckleswasadrunkenchunt

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Wow didn't this thread turn out to be the entertainment we never expected. How does a person manage to embarrass themselves so completely, and keep a straight face? What a complete tool.

I almost regret attending my Rugby Club lunch on Friday. I may well have enjoyed following this idiot's fall from grace more than drinking as much beer as I could stomach all that afternoon...maybe...
I was out riding and missed The Final Stand.

Well, I say "missed"...

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Some sort of subscription service that sends fresh posts to your phone as texts would be so handy sometimes.