All Mountain Tyres

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Tell me- can my XC rims (19mm internal) run 2.3 tyres or am I pushing it.
Been there, tried it, didn't enjoy either the squirming and the large OTB that resulted from a slashed sidewall blowout. I wouldn't try it on low spoke count XC rims either if that's what they are.

MarioM

Likes Dirt
I`ve gone from 2.4 ardents to 2.3 minion DHF / DHR2 3C exo folding on the Foxy . I liked the ardents but the minions are something else . The grip is insane after only one ride . I do however notice the drag from the rear but I figure its a small price to pay and I think I won`t even notice it after a few rides . I did a downhill run on wednesday nights ride , but I only had a working front brake but the run even though slow felt good on the minions .

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
I`ve gone from 2.4 ardents to 2.3 minion DHF / DHR2 3C exo folding on the Foxy . I liked the ardents but the minions are something else . The grip is insane after only one ride . I do however notice the drag from the rear but I figure its a small price to pay and I think I won`t even notice it after a few rides . I did a downhill run on wednesday nights ride , but I only had a working front brake but the run even though slow felt good on the minions .
I am going to come at this from a different angle, its not that the minions have amazing grip, its just that the ardent doesn't have any!

If you looking for a faster rolling rear with close to the grip of the minion on the rear, the aggressor is a really nice all rounder, rolls better than it looks, and the SS is situationally also great, but with the issues that any semi slick will have.

MarioM

Likes Dirt
I am going to come at this from a different angle, its not that the minions have amazing grip, its just that the ardent doesn't have any!

If you looking for a faster rolling rear with close to the grip of the minion on the rear, the aggressor is a really nice all rounder, rolls better than it looks, and the SS is situationally also great, but with the issues that any semi slick will have.
Yeah I tend to agree with you . I thought I had their predictability down pat but they have let me down on high speed cornering on lots of occasions . I`l probably try the aggressors out when the rear wears out .

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Have put about 100km on a new Nobby Nic 2.35/Racing Ralph 2.25 combo.

I've tried plenty of Maxxis and Specialized over the years but seriously think this is the best trail combo I've ever used. Proper volume and good weight (looking at you Maxxis), the sidewalls aren't leaky and squirmy (Specialized). I was pretty apprehensive about the NN up front given the previous model reputation but the grip and rolling speed is insane!

So far the only downside I can see is some higher than expected wear on the rear RR (which also grips way more than it should), but you can't have it all.

moman

Likes Dirt
Summer in the south

Heading to Buller, bright, falls creek and then over to Tasmania for a couple of weeks riding this summer. Not sure what Tyres to run on my 29er trail bike though having never really ridden down there.

Thinking of leaving my dhf on the front and maybe running a dhr2 dual compound or aggressor or minion ss on the rear. Happy to take a spare tyre or two along but just can't decide what.

Anyone have any opinions?

Olie1584

Likes Dirt
Currently tossing up between keeping my 2.3 HR2 on the front, or swapping it for something a little meatier like a DHR2, MM or HD.

The trails here in Radelaide get fairly hard-pact with areas that seemingly have marbles over hard clay.

Thoughts?

Definitely keen to throw a aggressor on the back, this Minion SS is just effing scary right now.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
found Nobby Nics to be too squishy in the turns. Regardless of psi- the side knobs squished and let go and hardpack. Great in winter but slow in the dry. Trying something less aggressive and rounder- Ardent Race 2.35. The Hans on the front is fine. Let you know how it goes.

stirk

Burner
Heading to Buller, bright, falls creek and then over to Tasmania for a couple of weeks riding this summer. Not sure what Tyres to run on my 29er trail bike though having never really ridden down there.

Thinking of leaving my dhf on the front and maybe running a dhr2 dual compound or aggressor or minion ss on the rear. Happy to take a spare tyre or two along but just can't decide what.

I tried the aggressor on the rear and found it excellent but hard to push around so put it on the front, replacing a hr2 and love it. If you are not pedalling uphill much try it out.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS

DHF front will be fine. Rear depends a bit on where you are in Tassie and on how you luck out with the weather. Out of the three chosen I'd go the Aggressor as it's the best all rounder. The Minion SS will suffer if it's wet, and the DHR2 is pretty heavy duty unless you cop an absolute mudfest, hopefully unlikely given the time of year you are riding.

kl3ggy

Likes Dirt
I've been running a 2.4" Onza Ibex on the front now for quite some time. Been loving it so far. Really predictable, super grippy for the dry, loose top areas that I ride. Ran it for a few months now and no real sign of wear. Would definitely purchase another one for the front when this one goes, whenever that is.

About to replace the Ardent on the rear with an Aggressor, so we'll see how that goes.

Haylex

Likes Dirt
for those still rocking 26 out there, has anyone been able to find somewhere that stocks the 26x2.4 TR/EXO WT minion DHR2s?

They have been listed as a size on the maxxis site for a while now but nowhere seems to have them

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
for those still rocking 26 out there, has anyone been able to find somewhere that stocks the 26x2.4 TR/EXO WT minion DHR2s?

They have been listed as a size on the maxxis site for a while now but nowhere seems to have them
I had a quick look around last night and about the only 26 inch tr exo maxxis that I could find in 2.4 was the ardent. I found some minions in 2.4 but they seemed be all st double ply dh casings.

dynamitedread

Likes Dirt
I've been running a 2.4" Onza Ibex on the front now for quite some time. Been loving it so far. Really predictable, super grippy for the dry, loose top areas that I ride. Ran it for a few months now and no real sign of wear. Would definitely purchase another one for the front when this one goes, whenever that is.

About to replace the Ardent on the rear with an Aggressor, so we'll see how that goes.
+1. By far my favourite tyre I've used it just seems to keep going. Been riding it twice a week for a year and can't be happier. Also it's a proper 2.4 size. Very similar to a high roller but much bigger volume if you ask me.

slimjim1

Have put about 100km on a new Nobby Nic 2.35/Racing Ralph 2.25 combo.
Racing Ralph has all but worn out after 1 month. Was great for the first 2 weeks. Centre tread has melted away which doesn't bother me so much. The side knobs have started to get undercut quite a bit and it's noticeable when cornering, even on the road they just can't hold the bike up through turns anymore.

Thinking of trying an Ikon 2.2 or 2.35 or possibly a Continental X King or Race King protection series on the back.

slimjim1

My son has a pair of those on his hardtail, and has experienced similar quick wearing. Granted, he does a lot of riding on the road, but still.
It's disappointing for sure. They are a really nice tyre when brand new but the performance drops away quickly as they wear, the side knobs become so easy to fold over.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Racing Ralph has all but worn out after 1 month. Was great for the first 2 weeks. Centre tread has melted away which doesn't bother me so much. The side knobs have started to get undercut quite a bit and it's noticeable when cornering, even on the road they just can't hold the bike up through turns anymore.

Thinking of trying an Ikon 2.2 or 2.35 or possibly a Continental X King or Race King protection series on the back.
I've had all three of those tyres on the rear and the RR grips best out of the three tyres. The Ikon is the best lasting out of the three and a bit loose on anything gravelly at high speeds. Forget the continental, if you have 19mm internal rims the side walls flex like hell on the corners and they are a real hard and brittle rubber that the knobs break off on. Also kept on burping air on the hard hits.

Rather than throw the tyre away, I used it on the front of my dirtjumper with 32mm internals plus tubes and it flexes a whole lot less but over all a very shit tyre in my opinion.

One week old Continental X-King MTB Tyre - ProTection

22.jpg

20160602_154551.jpg

slimjim1

I've had all three of those tyres on the rear and the RR grips best out of the three tyres. The Ikon is the best lasting out of the three and a bit loose on anything gravelly at high speeds. Forget the continental, if you have 19mm internal rims the side walls flex like hell on the corners and they are a real hard and brittle rubber that the knobs break off on. Also kept on burping air on the hard hits.

Rather than throw the tyre away, I used it on the front of my dirtjumper with 32mm internals plus tubes and it flexes a whole lot less but over all a very shit tyre in my opinion.

One week old Continental X-King MTB Tyre - ProTection

View attachment 334027

View attachment 334028
Haha wow that is pathetic! Crossing those off the list, cheers Flow.