BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Sooo I left getting a bike rack number plate way too late.

I see for Vic and SA I can legally take the one off the back of my car and put it on the rack - but can't find that info for NSW.

Anyone got an idea?
I checked this out years ago: A NSW number plate must be affixed permanently to the vehicle and not obscured. If it's obscured but another object (in this case a bike rack) then an auxiliary plate must be purchased and affixed. It's a bit of a revenue raiser though, you spend $35 on a bike rack plate when you could just have your car number plate on the rack.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
I checked this out years ago: A NSW number plate must be affixed permanently to the vehicle and not obscured. If it's obscured but another object (in this case a bike rack) then an auxiliary plate must be purchased and affixed. It's a bit of a revenue raiser though, you spend $35 on a bike rack plate when you could just have your car number plate on the rack.
It's now $40.... coz they're cunts.
I was in the same boat, didn't order a plate early enough. I took the plates off my car and stuck it on my rack, didn't get pulled for it but I was probably just lucky.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
It's now $40.... coz they're cunts.
I was in the same boat, didn't order a plate early enough. I took the plates off my car and stuck it on my rack, didn't get pulled for it but I was probably just lucky.
Great when you have one rack that you want to transplant across two cars too. Looks like you would be jabbed for two and I have this stupid revenue raising thing to think about now too. Then have two plates that will need to be rotated around the rack 007 style.

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/registration/fees/registration-costs.html#Numberplates

I really want to go an grovel, complain and make a scene to the good folks at RTA that won't give a damn anyhow..............

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Yeah, paid $40 today for the plate, but they said not arriving until end of Jan (this is ACT).

Damn NSW being different. I was going to take bike to SA and Vic over the break but means I'll need to run the gauntlet to the border haha

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sooo I left getting a bike rack number plate way too late.

I see for Vic and SA I can legally take the one off the back of my car and put it on the rack - but can't find that info for NSW.

Anyone got an idea?
You will possibly get away with it, but technically you need the auxiliary plate

scblack

Leucocholic
For my auxiliary NSW plate I just printed off the RTA order system number plate, enlarged it to size, printed it off. Then laminated it. You could not tell the difference.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
For my auxiliary NSW plate I just printed off the RTA order system number plate, enlarged it to size, printed it off. Then laminated it. You could not tell the difference.
I done this as back up too... but never used it.
Great minds think alike.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

creaky

XMAS Plumper
So Markee, not much info on the website (unless my man search skills are failing me). Does it just hang the full weight of the bike off the front wheel ? How does it mount to the rear of the car ?

kiwiinmelb

Likes Dirt
Hope this is the right thread,

Can anyone recommend a Tailgate Pad for a Triton ?

I have zero experience with them , Cheers

monkeyonabike

Likes Dirt
I have a 2013 ford fiesta and I'm looking for some suggestions for a bike carrier.

The 4 options I think I have are:
  1. Roof racks. (middle of the range price wise)
  2. Boot mount bike carrier (cheapest option)
  3. Attaching a towball (most expensive but has more options)
  4. One of those Sea Sucker bike racks (pretty exxy and im not sure how they will deal in the hot summer sun)

Has anyone dealt with throwing a bike rack on a medium sized hatchback?

Markee

Likes Dirt
So Markee, not much info on the website (unless my man search skills are failing me). Does it just hang the full weight of the bike off the front wheel ? How does it mount to the rear of the car ?
Yes all the weight on the front wheel but, the rear is strapped to a crossed bar at the bottom.
They attach to a 50mm hitch receiver tow bar. They also come with the garage floor mount you see in the photo and I believe they tilt out of the way also.

Ideate

[*]Roof racks. (middle of the range price wise)
I started with roof racks. They're good but I didn't like the idea of a Zerode G1 swinging around on the roof while I F1'd the great ocean road one trip. Plus I couldn't look at it when I was bored (unless it was a shadow ;)

7b3f832068e23b91c6a6f3ac09711faf.jpg

d6a3ac75fb419d93e32a16c3f26fa058.jpg

[*]Boot mount bike carrier (cheapest option)
No. Unless you have a shit box car that you don't care about.

[*]Attaching a towball (most expensive but has more options)
This is what I eventually did. Cost about $800 complete with wiring to get the tow bar put on. If you don't want the wiring then about $5-600. I got wiring because of the trips to NSW. I made a two bike rack with lights etc.. but you can get relatively cheap second hand GripSport racks.

BONUS: Macca's drive through on the way home.

lightside.jpg

darkside.jpg

[*]One of those Sea Sucker bike racks (pretty exxy and im not sure how they will deal in the hot summer sun)
Iffy but I'd say better than a strap-on.

Female-Slave-Strapon-Strap-on-Pants-for-Multispeed-font-b-Magic-b-font-font-b-Powerful.jpg

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
No affiliation other than viewing one at Chain Brain Cycles while riding RedHill on the weekend. Looks the goods.

http://www.spotxracks.com.au

There are laws for dimensions in NSW and that rack would mean your bike hangs further out than the allowed amount. I love the rack idea but I reckon it'd be illegal here. I have a Gripsport rack on my ute and the furthest legal point of the load is one centimeter past my headset meaning the handlebar past that is longer than the allowed dimesnion. You'd be a fair prick to book a guy for it but hey, you can't even drive a car around with an empty bike rack legally now.

Hope this is the right thread,

Can anyone recommend a Tailgate Pad for a Triton ?

I have zero experience with them , Cheers
If you hate your tail and your bike then yep, get a tailgate pad. They wreck the paint on your tailgate and they rub the buggery out of your bike, especially single crown forks. On paper it looks like a simple idea but they do leave some serious marks and even dents on your tailgate. If you can get a towbar mounted carrier then aim for that.

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
I have a 2013 ford fiesta and I'm looking for some suggestions for a bike carrier.

4. One of those Sea Sucker bike racks (pretty exxy and im not sure how they will deal in the hot summer sun)

I've got one of these on an Astra - http://www.yakima.com.au/2/Accessories/category/8/Boot-Hatch/28/Kingjoe-Pro-3

I know boot mounted racks get a lot of hate, and some of the ones I've seen out there look pretty sketchy, but I've had zero issues with this one. Hasn't caused any body damage at all, it straps onto the car easily and securely, and holds the bikes well.

The only issue though, is for most MTB's you'll need to get a bar that hooks between the seatpost and stem to attach it, because the front triangle will probably be too small for the carrying bars to fit through.

Haakon

Keeps on digging

A couple of pages back on post #877 is my Renault Clio with a towbar, 15kg rack and ~25kgs of mountain bikes hung off the back. The Clio is the same size and weight as a Fiesta.

Yes on a light car you do notice it a little bit and the rear does sit down a little bit, but no worse than a couple of mates in the back seat.

It drives perfectly fine.

kiwiinmelb

Likes Dirt
There are laws for dimensions in NSW and that rack would mean your bike hangs further out than the allowed amount. I love the rack idea but I reckon it'd be illegal here. I have a Gripsport rack on my ute and the furthest legal point of the load is one centimeter past my headset meaning the handlebar past that is longer than the allowed dimesnion. You'd be a fair prick to book a guy for it but hey, you can't even drive a car around with an empty bike rack legally now.

If you hate your tail and your bike then yep, get a tailgate pad. They wreck the paint on your tailgate and they rub the buggery out of your bike, especially single crown forks. On paper it looks like a simple idea but they do leave some serious marks and even dents on your tailgate. If you can get a towbar mounted carrier then aim for that.
Cheers , Picked up a 2010 dual cab Triton with low kms that already has a couple of small dings at a steal that I will be using as my weekend knockabout car ,

While I wont be going out of way to wreck it , lets just say i will be prob more concerned about my bikes and will look more into that side of things ,

got a good tip off another forum , get a swimming pool noodle , cut it open length wise , place it over the top of the tailgate before putting the pad on to give it extra cushion at the point of contact with the downtube .