Orange Alpine

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
Latest pic Jan18. Words are in post #14 o_O
unnamed-2.jpg

Picked up an Alpine from the ex Dirt team in UK.

Looking to replace bars with some alloy Funn and the rims soonish after the 521s took a couple of dings :wacko: Need some black xt cranks as well :rockon:

Cockpit: Renthal carbon + Thomson 50mm SDG + KS Lev
Brakes: XTR M9020 levers + M755 calipers + Goodridge hoses
Drivetrain: 9Speed XT + XO shifter + XT cranks + E13 guide + Burgtec Pedals
Wheels: Hope + Mavic EN521 Maxxis Rubber

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
Old school die hard on the 755 calipers and 9sp? Clutched derailleurs are a must on oranges to avoid the classic rattles. Still love it. You should sell it to me cheap.

Reactions: Zaf

frenchman

Thanks everyone!
It's a pretty fun ride. You can get a bit more rowdy and case bigger jumps in comparison to the five.

Brakes are still going well. And I'd run an xo 9spd if I could find the sram derailleur. I never have the clutch on any of the bikes with a full guide. I'll get 11 speed when I move to somewhere with hills. It'd probably be cracked if I were to sell it. :smokin:

moorey

call me Mia
My alpine does like getting more rowdy than my Five....however, I'm 90% sold on taking the Five on the TransNZ this year. Climbs and pedals so much better, and I think I'm generally faster on it on the descents....on most sections. Have just bought another Five frame. Looking forward to getting it. :woot:

frenchman

I'm not too sure. Mid 14 to mid 15's at a guess. I'll look to swap out the tyres for the double down maxxis due a few holes tearing through the canvas :wacko:

rtd

Likes Dirt
Have you got like 12 oranges in your shed now? How many are cracked :p?

Looks good Frenchy, looks fast.

frenchman

Have given it few updates in the last year.

Now that I live near more hills I've decided on the coil rear. I built up some spanks on some hadleys and went 1x11.
Also swapped out the carbon renthal bar for the alloy Funn. There's a 77 designz chain guide on the way somewhere as well.

I decided to try something different from the Maxxis offering because I was constantly slashing sidewalls on the EXO tyres.
The Bontragers have surprised me with the sidewall strength and tyre wear is much better as well without too much reduction in cornering grip. They definitely do not have the same bite as a high roller however the level of traction remains unchanged when tipping the bike over. Ive always felt that once you went beyond that angle with a high roller / minion you needed to be sam hill to stop the faceplant. Or it could be that I'm shit at cornering.
I'd run a high roller on shuttle days but pushing the DH casing uphill would be horrible.

unnamed-2.jpg

moorey

call me Mia
Thanks, pedalling is still ordinary but once it's going downhill squaring off into corners is great!

You should ride yours Moorey. It's a good egg.
I have no qualms with how mine pedals, and don’t even use the climb switch.
I think it’s the faint creak in mine that makes me choose other bikes (9/10, one of the Fives).
Mine has the sliding shuttle, and I think it’s in there. Nothing I’ve tried so far has been able to stop it for more than about your first hour. Graphite powder is next....even though I know it’s still only be going to be temporary fix still.
The sliding shuttle is great in theory....but pointless. Who ever wants to steepen HA and raise BB in the real world?