Cane Creek.

PLUGGA

Likes Dirt
Just thinking out loud here, but....
What would be an equivalent or good replacement for a DB Inline? I have one on my Sight, and to be honest, it's a pain in the arse. It's kind of like having a woman on the back of your bike- "good if you can work them out" I'm definitely going to stick with it for a while, so changing shock is a last resort, but just wanted some opinions on a POTENTIAL replacement. BTW, has to an inline style, with no piggy back etc. Cheers!

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Ccdb have so much adjustment, they don't suit everyone. You might get more benefit from something with less adjustment, get it set up and go.
You've honestly got only a few options....
1. Fox Float
2. RS Monarch
3. BOS VIP'r
4. X Fusion Stage

Can't think of any more worthwhile off the top of my head.

Tbh, you're probably better off getting a full blueprint tune on your cc, you could buy another shock and be back at the same starting spot not being able to set it up.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

PLUGGA

Likes Dirt
Ccdb have so much adjustment, they don't suit everyone. You might get more benefit from something with less adjustment, get it set up and go.
You've honestly got only a few options....
1. Fox Float
2. RS Monarch
3. BOS VIP'r
4. X Fusion Stage

Can't think of any more worthwhile off the top of my head.

Tbh, you're probably better off getting a full blueprint tune on your cc, you could buy another shock and be back at the same starting spot not being able to set it up.

Blueprint tune? Yeah, too much adjustment for this little black duck. I just want to ride my bike, and not spend half a day riding the same section tuning a fu@ken shock! Was thinking about a Float w/Kashima actually.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Blueprint tune . Ie. Give it to NSD / Mountain bike Suspension center etc, tell them what bike you have, how much you weigh, what you feel the shock is doing/not doing and they'll shim it etc and set the adjustments at some base settings.

Even if you buy a Float off the shelf, depending on your weight and suspension ratio, you may need to get the shims tweaked and fiddle with the tune anyway.

PLUGGA

Likes Dirt
Blueprint tune . Ie. Give it to NSD / Mountain bike Suspension center etc, tell them what bike you have, how much you weigh, what you feel the shock is doing/not doing and they'll shim it etc and set the adjustments at some base settings.

Even if you buy a Float off the shelf, depending on your weight and suspension ratio, you may need to get the shims tweaked and fiddle with the tune anyway.

Cool, might give NSD a buzz and pick their brain. Bah! Fu@k, how hard does it need to be. My old RP23 was: put air in it, set rebound, and choose pro pedal on/off. Bang! Rode like a dream. Doesn't help that I've got the patience of a toddler either i suppose...

Warp

Likes Dirt
Cool, might give NSD a buzz and pick their brain. Bah! Fu@k, how hard does it need to be. My old RP23 was: put air in it, set rebound, and choose pro pedal on/off. Bang! Rode like a dream. Doesn't help that I've got the patience of a toddler either i suppose...
Then get another Fox Float.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Just thinking out loud here, but....
What would be an equivalent or good replacement for a DB Inline? I have one on my Sight, and to be honest, it's a pain in the arse. It's kind of like having a woman on the back of your bike- "good if you can work them out" I'm definitely going to stick with it for a while, so changing shock is a last resort, but just wanted some opinions on a POTENTIAL replacement. BTW, has to an inline style, with no piggy back etc. Cheers!
I'm assuming you have used their app?

https://www.canecreek.com/products/suspension/tuning-field-app

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The DVO Topaz is another option.

Ignore me, missed the no piggyback bit.

Last edited:

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Get a Monarch mate. My Sight came stock with one and I punished the shit out of it! It was a simple matter of setting your air correctly and off you go. I've since upgraded to an Inline Coil and that is amazing but to simplify your ride? Grab a Monarch. ;)

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've got a DB Inline on my Spider and haven't changed it from the factory settings and I love it. I do worry about the longevity of it given the quality control issues that they had, but its a marked improvement over a something like an RP23.

PLUGGA

Likes Dirt
Get a Monarch mate. My Sight came stock with one and I punished the shit out of it! It was a simple matter of setting your air correctly and off you go. I've since upgraded to an Inline Coil and that is amazing but to simplify your ride? Grab a Monarch. ;)
My mate has the Sight under mine and his has a Monarch which he loves. Will definitely consider snapping one up if i get the shits with the Inline again. Any ideas on price for the top spec model? (RT3 I think?) would selling the Inline cover a new Monarch? Or should i seek out a possible swap here on RB?

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
My mate has the Sight under mine and his has a Monarch which he loves. Will definitely consider snapping one up if i get the shits with the Inline again. Any ideas on price for the top spec model? (RT3 I think?) would selling the Inline cover a new Monarch? Or should i seek out a possible swap here on RB?
Ccdb inlines are getting cheap now. Sub $500 for a new one. (Cycling deal have limited sizes for ~$350).
Monarch RT3 Debonair for about the same.

PLUGGA

Likes Dirt
So, my latest question. How do i work out what size my Inline is? I see there's a Monarch for sale here on RB, with a size of 216/63. Unfortunately for me, I've got NFI what that means.

teK--

Eats Squid
So, my latest question. How do i work out what size my Inline is? I see there's a Monarch for sale here on RB, with a size of 216/63. Unfortunately for me, I've got NFI what that means.
Your shock should have a similar set of numbers printed on the stanchion or shock body. E.g. 200x51 or 200x57

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Last edited:

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
What he said ^^^^

For future reference... Cane Creeks own Shock fitment finder is awesome (as is their headset finder)
https://www.canecreek.com/store/suspension/double-barrel

Be aware that there are a few Monarch models, Monarch R, RL, RT, RT3, XX etc, with the newer ones being Debonair (enlarged air volume)
Not to mention different tunes to suit different leverage ratios (so different shim stack sizes).

You may find that if you buy an off the shelf or second hand monarch, the standard tune mightn't suit you or the bike = back to square 1.

I'd highly suggest getting your CCDB iL tuned by a knowledgeable workshop rather than spending heaps on a new shock.

PLUGGA

Likes Dirt
As usual, thanks for all the quality feedback. I'll hit up NSD etc to source a solution. Are NSD the go to place in Melbourne? Anywhere else come recommend?? Cheers guys!
*EDIT-Just saw they're in QLD*

Last edited:

stickso

Likes Dirt
As usual, thanks for all the quality feedback. I'll hit up NSD etc to source a solution. Are NSD the go to place in Melbourne? Anywhere else come recommend?? Cheers guys!
*EDIT-Just saw they're in QLD*
How much do you weigh? If you're close to 75kg ready to ride I'll give you the settings I use on the DBInline on my Sight. Once I got it dialled in I haven't touched it since.

NSD are a great source and turn around jobs very quickly. Generally if you express post on a Monday you'll have it back before the weekend.

PLUGGA

Likes Dirt
How much do you weigh? If you're close to 75kg ready to ride I'll give you the settings I use on the DBInline on my Sight. Once I got it dialled in I haven't touched it since.

NSD are a great source and turn around jobs very quickly. Generally if you express post on a Monday you'll have it back before the weekend.
75kg would be nice! I'm walking around at 102kg, so 105kg kitted? A week turnaround is pretty impressive, I'll get onto them.