Rockshox equivalent to a Fox Float 34 130 travel.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Both my current bikes have fox 32 factory series which have been ok apart from some minor damper issues and the annoying issue of Fox changing their dust seal design every other year! One of the frames i'm considerin is an Intense Spider which comes with a rockshox shock fitted so I'll probably stick with a RS fork and dropper. What RS forks are similar to Fox 34? Am i on the right path looking at Pikes and Yari's?

Cheers
C

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Yep, Pikes are the go. If you're doing simple XC style riding, you can get away with Revelations or Yari's but the little bit more you'd spend to get Pikes is well worth it. The next step up is the Lyrik fork but only tackle that if you're riding big mountain stuff where you climb 10km for a 15km downhill (not simple XC trail going down but a downhill trail).
From experience, avoid the Revelations though. They blow through the travel too quickly and are too harsh, even a little clunky. Yari's are a step up for an entry level gravity fork but still lack in the response that a Pike does. Yari's feel good but Pikes feel brilliant and having the option of changing your air volume using toke's is a big bonus.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Apart from being 10mm longer, is there any structural difference between a 130 and 140 fork? Is it the same beast with spacers? Sorry if that's a dumbarse Q.

moorey

call me Mia
Apart from being 10mm longer, is there any structural difference between a 130 and 140 fork? Is it the same beast with spacers? Sorry if that's a dumbarse Q.
All things being equal, just a different air shaft in pikes.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for your help team. Looks like Pikes will be on the shopping list. Damn shame you can't buy them through through the usual UK or German sources!

redbruce

Eats Squid
2016 34's are now good (and that from a RS fan), as good as Pikes IMO.

In dual air days I'd go RS but with solo now and Fox lifting game, just get best value deal between Fox and RS.

Last edited:

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Think you need the 34 factory not the fox 34 performance line forks to get similar to pikes (rc up)

Last edited:

ViS

Likes Dirt
Any reason you are limiting yourself to RS? I put a DVO Diamond on my Ripley set at 140mm and couldn't be happier. More external adjustability and the performance is as good or better than any of the equivalent brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ViS

Likes Dirt
Is the spider the xc older version or the carbon 127mm rear version? I had the new version with 140mm fox 34's and the geo is perfect. I could have even gone to 150 I reckon.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Any reason you are limiting yourself to RS? I put a DVO Diamond on my Ripley set at 140mm and couldn't be happier. More external adjustability and the performance is as good or better than any of the equivalent brands.

I guess I've only considered RS and Fox as they are the 2 I know anything about.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is the spider the xc older version or the carbon 127mm rear version? I had the new version with 140mm fox 34's and the geo is perfect. I could have even gone to 150 I reckon.

It's the 2016 model with 115-130 rear travel.

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Out of interest, would you consider yourself of smaller or larger stature? Are you a "Smooth" rider, o do you just plough through?

A smaller or smoother rider is not going to notice the flex from revelations over pikes or 34's.

Also consider x-fusion forks, I think the trace and the sweep fit in that (130-140) segment