Threaded bleed nipple for Shimano

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is it just me or is bleeding brakes a job for Siamese twins or an octopus? I find I'm always getting shimano mineral oil all over the place and generally find it annoying. Also I like my levers pretty firm with a short pull to contact so I often force a smidge more fluid in with the bleed cap on the lever in place to make sure I get the feel I like.

Today I thought "this should be easier" and wondered is there a threaded bleed nipple out there for shimano brakes with a corresponding threaded hose? By this I mean threaded at both ends but still with the 7 mm collar to loosen it. I've seen it in other applications mostly heavy duty hydraulics but wondered if anyone out there does a kit? I can't be the first to think of it surely. It would make life so much easier and dare I say it cleaner with less chance of the hose blowing or falling off when you are working on the lever or something.

Anyone out there seem something like this?

Cheers Scott

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
prob not the done thing but i prefer to back bleed, lifting the reservoir cover & gasket, topping up fluid while squeezing handle & undo-ing bleed nipple nut on bottom, have gotten better results & less mess

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
prob not the done thing but i prefer to back bleed, lifting the reservoir cover & gasket, topping up fluid while squeezing handle & undo-ing bleed nipple nut on bottom, have gotten better results & less mess
I can't do that with my XTR's mate. You don't have access to the reservoir like that with them. You only have the bleed screw so that's not an option for me. I think I would also make an even bigger mess doing it that way.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I drilled a short allen key bolt down the centre and fitted a small hose with an o-ring on the thread end to seal and heated a clear long hose over the head of the bolt after I ground it down to a smaller diameter then clamped it in place with a small cable tie. Pretty sure you could get something made up at a professional hose place like Pirtek that allows you to spin the hose.

I haven't had time but eventually I'm going to make a stand to bleed brakes off the bike to make it a bit easier.

Last edited:

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What's the shimano thread diameter?
Hey mate, I'm not sure of the thread diameter, I'll have to crack the veri-nears out.

Two part bleed port assemblies are cool on cars.
Not sure how this is any different from the current bleed nipple. The interface between bleed line and nipple is still pretty flimsy on such a small scale. If it had a threaded end instead of the nipple end I could thread the bleed line on and not have to constantly watch it to make sure it doesn't fall off or even blow off when I am injecting fluid. Am I missing something?

Cheers Scott.

teK--

Eats Squid
as long as u use the correct diameter pvc hose and arent hamfisted about it you won't blow the hose off. 4mm ID from memory the tighter fit the better

dunndog

Eats Squid
Agreed, isn't this method supposed to be better for forcing fluid in and more thoroughly forcing air out?