shock tune / set up

single-pivot

Likes Dirt
Hi peeps trying to dial my shock in .its fox float x2 double barrel.

I've got it almost sorted but iam struggling on larger rock gardens, it's unable to cope, and starts feeling overwhelmed.

I thought it was HSC but tried adjustment still same .

Any suggestions
and whats people's set up order ?

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Hi peeps trying to dial my shock in .its fox float x2 double barrel.

I've got it almost sorted but iam struggling on larger rock gardens, it's unable to cope, and starts feeling overwhelmed.

I thought it was HSC but tried adjustment still same .

Any suggestions
and whats people's set up order ?
When you say it's unable to cope, what do you mean exactly? Is it bottoming out too easily? Too harsh? Getting bucked?

LSR - how fast the shock returns on small hits (first part of stroke) - helps with traction, pop and packing up
HSR - how fast the shock returns on big hits (last part of stroke) - helps with getting bucked
LSC - how easily the shock moves through it's travel in the first part of the stroke - plushness versus mid-stroke support
HSC - how easily the shock moves through its travel in the last part of the travel - essentially a kind of bottom out control.

Last edited:
Z

Zaf

If you can, provide the current settings so we have a reference point (Spring pressure and corresponding sag, compression and rebound settings, etc.), and as above, a description of the unwanted behaviour from the shock. Also, what bike is it mounted to?

Ignore me, Nautonier editted in the details I was asking for.

single-pivot

Likes Dirt
shock

Thanks guys.

Bike is litville 301 mk11

200 psi
one bottom out spacer
at 35 % sag

LSR 16 turns

HSR 14 turns

LSC 18 turns

HSC 16 turns

All from full wound in ( anti clockwise ) as per fox info sheet

Bike feels great on fast rough fire roads

But when i rode a rough rocky trail today it was lacking in traction and control is best way to describe

Z

Zaf

Thanks guys.

Bike is litville 301 mk11

200 psi
one bottom out spacer
at 35 % sag

LSR 16 turns

HSR 14 turns

LSC 18 turns

HSC 16 turns

All from full wound in ( anti clockwise ) as per fox info sheet

Bike feels great on fast rough fire roads

But when i rode a rough rocky trail today it was lacking in traction and control is best way to describe
Skipping over repeated bumps? Feel like the rear brake was being pulled as you moved through it? Pitching you forward? First few hits plush then feel deteriorating?

single-pivot

Likes Dirt
shock

Trial has football size rocks ,
Poor from start
feels real loose , so i geuss that would be skipping.

Not sure wheather this would be an issue, but when i emailed litville they told me to go buy monarch that had been specifically tuned to there frame ?

Surely not ?

Z

Zaf

Trial has football size rocks ,
Poor from start
feels real loose , so i geuss that would be skipping.

Not sure wheather this would be an issue, but when i emailed litville they told me to go buy monarch that had been specifically tuned to there frame ?

Surely not ?
I'll have a bit more of a read up on it when I get I get home, see what the recommended Monarch tune is for their leverage rate and then make a suggestion from there.
The float X2 is a double barrel like design, so it's just finding out comparable settings and then dialing it in to them, that usually gets a nice central tune from which to adjust.

Z

Zaf

Alright here we go.
So the Liteville MK11 301 has a leverage ratio that is regressive to the sag point then progressive after that.
As they say in the manual for the Mk11 301 "The Liteville 301 frame has a special low-ratio suspension design and does not harmonise well with every shock available. The Shocks used in the Liteville 301 have been specifically factory tuned to suit our frames". The fox RP23 they recommend for the Mk11 model runs a CFCX tune code, which is essentially a Velocity tune and Rebound tune "Medium", a 0.6cc spacer.

With that all in mind, I'd recommend trying the following settings as a base setting. Again, all clicks are counterclockwise from the full clockwise as a point of reference.
Pressure: +10-15PSI (210-220 range) and 30-32% sag
LSR: 10-12 clicks
HSR: 18-20 clicks
LSC: 15 clicks
HSC: 18-20 clicks

The frame has (for the useable part of its travel) a fairly progressive ratio, and the company themselves recommend a unit that's not overdamped. The logic with the suggested tune is to run a slightly stiffer spring pressure for support and bottom out protection then opening the high speed circuits a bit more to keep it active once things are chundery and keeping that wheel tracking. The stiffer spring and the higher amount of damping on the low speed circuits should keep everything quite planted for when things aren't as gnarly, also gives you something to push against and load into when cornering. Hoping some of your control issues were coming from the wheel not recovering fast enough after a quick hit and then packing up a bit on anything repeated thereafter.

Let me know how that goes though, obviously keen to hear.

single-pivot

Likes Dirt
re shock

That's crazy fantastic.
How the heck do you work that all out ?

I'm going to try tomorrow report to follow.

Can't thank you enough.

Z

Zaf

That's crazy fantastic.
How the heck do you work that all out ?

I'm going to try tomorrow report to follow.

Can't thank you enough.
Don't thank me yet, let's wait and see if it's actually an improvement first!!!

How i find this out, just google skills:
http://syntace.my1.cc/liteville/pdf/Bedienungsanleitung_301M_k11_ver-06_engl.pdf
Pulled this straight from the official website user manual​
http://linkagedesign.blogspot.com.au
Keep in mind the leverage rate is inferred, they have the leverage of the 301 Mk10 and Mk12 and then it's just reading over other owners to guess that the leverage on all three models and making an educated guess that they it was more subtle changes rather than complete overhauls between them.​
https://www.ridefox.com/help.php?m=bike
Plugging the code once you've found that tune ID into the Fox Code finder shows the following tune profile:
2013, FLOAT-K F-S, CTD-Adj BV LV, Liteville, 301, 7.875, 2.250, 0.6 Spacer, VTM, RTM, 175, 16
Then it's just interpreting this; some of these figures are easy enough, eye to eye, stroke, volume spacers. The last ones are tricky, VTM = Velocity Tune MEDIUM, RTM = Rebound Tune MEDIUM, 175 is the indicator of the boost valve pressure on this particular model, and I'm still not sure what the 16 references (it's not present on all models).​

After that it's just sort of educated guess work as to what a comparable tune will be to mimic what they recommend. With any luck, the logic will actually follow through into trail performance!! But please feel free to tell me to shut up sit in the corner if it feels worse than what you started with.

single-pivot

Likes Dirt
shock

Argh no I've been chasing my tail on this one so any input is appreciated.

I'm thinking of hiring a shock quiz if i cant get it right.
Or sending it to be custom revavled to suit bike me etc.

So all these cost $
Would like to be able to set it up first

single-pivot

Likes Dirt
shock

Ok was keen as mustard so headed out for a big loop .

Started with
220 psi
about 32 % sag
LSR 12 moved to 13

HSR 18

LSC 16

HSC 18 moved to 20

During ride i had less pedal bob almost negating lock out switch .
and the ride felt firm but not harsh.

Now for the fast stuff.

On rough fast steep fire road had great control and composure, on the straights .
but lacked a tiny bit in one off camber corner ( which is a challenge at speed the best of times )

On single trail felt lively but safe

On problem trail large steep rocky trail , i was a lot more controlled and super fast ( almost dinged front rim )
it felt what i would call a racers set up as i had to attack and repaid in kind ,

I'm usually a plow through loosey goosey kind of style, So i did have to ride with a different style which isn't a bad thing.

So to say i am happy with results is an understatement, and believe a couple more rides is needed to further process info.
roll on tomorrow

Z

Zaf

I didn't see your new post until now (usually my Tapatalk app alerts me when replies to threads happen).

Fantastic!! Glad to hear it helped, at the very least you've got a good base tune to work from, it's usually just small adjustments from there.
I knew all that suspension nerding would pay off some day!