NSW Mill Creek Conservation Park (Menai) - MTB Trail building Thread

shore_2

Likes Dirt
That would be great. It's obviously the same guy. He is dumping on a commercial level, not just a load here and there.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

bookster

Cannon Fodder
hey all, just wanted to post to say thanks to all the folks who have been working on the trails recently, with all the wet weather trashing loftus I've been heading over and am loving the improvements. keep it up:cool:

sbm

Likes Bikes
Made it around the full loop this arvo, methane alley, toxic flow, creek, black hawk down loop, pump action, creek again, and back up and around! Awesome work by all the builders, had a lot of fun. I'll see if I can make a build day soon. Was knackered by the time I got to the last section, there were more than a few dabs, but a great ride and I reckon now I know the way it'll be pretty flowy.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I rode it last Sunday and was also very impressed. The trails are very flowy and heaps of fun. I even liked the climbs. We did get a bit lost and ended up doing a smaller loop twice before we made our way around the full loop, but it is always fun getting lost on a ride.

Cronar

Likes Dirt
Firstly, you guys have done a great job!

With what you were given, you have created a great little network. I've been riding the area since 92 and am stoked you've managed to keep some of the old school Lucas Heights tech flavour, whilst adding some really fun flowy stuff like BHD. Which brings me to my second point and i hope i'm not out of line here ... but ...

The bottom junction area of BHD seems needlessly dangerous. The original point where the climbing track crossed BHD (through the jump) was a bit dodgy but at least it was open and everyone was more aware of their surroundings. The new crossing being just after the trail jump and just before the rock platform jump is much more dangerous. The DH rider will have just landed the jump and will be hauling into the rock platform jump with little peripheral awareness and the uphill rider is now on single track which is pretty closed in. I know there is a huge sign but some times you get in the zone and lose a bit of awareness.

I'm no captain safety but it seems like this potential danger zone could be easily avoided!

An easy solution that won't waste any of your new trail work could be to re-route BHD after the trail jump into the new bit of trail via a left hand berm and then use that new bit of windy trail as the exit to BHD. This would allow for the final section of BHD (the rock platform jump and the following left hander with the dodgy tree root) to become the new uphill trail joining your new work at the cross-over point. It would involve a little bit of work where the trails crossed to make the re-routes obvious but not too much.

Anyway, just an idea, I can draw up a diagram if the above doesn't make sense. I could even meet someone out there during the week to lend a hand.

But keep up the awesome work, I'd love to help you guys out but my trail building/maintaining resources are committed elsewhere and I work Saturdays!

Cheers

Chris

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Cheers Chris

Will pass on to the Trail Boss ... appreciate the constructive input as always ... pun kinda intended.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Rode the 'new' crossing today for my first time ... Although it is narrower then the previous crossing, which BTW is now a pond on both sides ... I reckon it's pretty well thought out.

Big mutha yellow sign tells you something is up ... Trail turns slightly up hill to face oncoming before crossing you over.

I agree entering the 'up trail' below the exit would better risk mitigation, but I'll leave that to the boss.

Cheers

Cronar

Likes Dirt
Yeah, the risk is pretty minimal but i just question why there has to be a risk at all. After all the hard yards that it has taken to get the trail in the first place (with advocacy, nutty gun clubs shooting at the trail, not to mention all the trail building) why would you put a completely unnessessary conflict zone in there?

In the unlikely event that there is bingle there, it 'might' reflect badly on the area and i'm sure some of the other landowners involved (who could potentially allow us back in after years) would take note.

Last edited:

higgin_d

Likes Dirt
In my head I thought there was some validity to some of the thoughts on re routing that bit, however I rode it during the week and my thoughts are that any person who doesn't have the common sense and / or skill to negotiate safety is definitely not suited to that track and perhaps mountain biking as a sport.... It's relatively simple and risk free I think

bowtajzane

Likes Dirt
your both right,no it's not perfect and unless your eyes are painted on, you can see people coming down hill,it's not a permanent setup and eventually will be changed(not sure of time frame) but in the mean time pepole need to be aware of it.....

soddo

Cannon Fodder
seen something interesting this arvo. A massive black cat!

It ran in front of me approx 30m and covered ground super fast, faster then a wallaby or dog.

Size was about border collie, maybe longer and lower. Long tail that curled at the end, articulated spine (unlike canine). I seen
it run across the trail, then a glimpse of its arse and it was gone. I didnt see its head or face due to the bushes

It was near the start of my ride, I started from the athletics field and it was within the first 30 mins so I wasnt delirous :evil:

I have marked it on google maps https://www.google.com.au/maps/plac...5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d-34.040122!4d150.990504

Anyone seen something similar? If I had a trail/hunting cam I would set it up to try and get a better look!

shore_2

Likes Dirt
seen something interesting this arvo. A massive black cat!

It ran in front of me approx 30m and covered ground super fast, faster then a wallaby or dog.

Size was about border collie, maybe longer and lower. Long tail that curled at the end, articulated spine (unlike canine). I seen
it run across the trail, then a glimpse of its arse and it was gone. I didnt see its head or face due to the bushes

It was near the start of my ride, I started from the athletics field and it was within the first 30 mins so I wasnt delirous :evil:

I have marked it on google maps https://www.google.com.au/maps/plac...5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d-34.040122!4d150.990504

Anyone seen something similar? If I had a trail/hunting cam I would set it up to try and get a better look!
It's the blue mountains Panther. A frequent species in these parts.

shore_2

Likes Dirt
Rode the trail for the first time in a year....It still rocks!
Awesome trail. Everyone who has contributed should be very proud of their efforts. We all like rocks etc but the jumps, berms and added flow is just so fun!