Street rides - improvisation/inspiration/interpretation

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Dully is pretty sick. That snake run is so much fun.

Five docks pretty good too. I'll try and find you a video i recently watched by dan foley. Pretty rad

Found it! It really makes you feel shit about you're riding hahaha.

[video=youtube_share;dghXdIXk_ts]https://youtu.be/dghXdIXk_ts[/video]
Holy shit burgers.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Yep. Fuckin mental.

Bmx is growing up, everyone was wearing helmets.

In other news, new tyres arrived for the little blue tranny. KHE mac2 dirts. They look rad, remind me of fly rampera's which Are my all time favourite tyre for this stuff. Pretty keen, they are stupid lite, make the tabletops feel like bricks. Much more rounded and roll for days at 110psi. Can't wait for a weekend shred now.

Dully is lookin good. Or maybe a pedal around olympic park.

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Those tyres look pretty rad. Like the result of a tyre orgy between the Maxxis dth, dmr Moto/super Moto, and the gear booze light!

Ultra Lord

Yeah it looks mint. Very low profile, so grips not gonna be too crash hot compared to the schwalbes, but better on street and park. Most bmxy tyres I've found for 26.

Also vans have brought out a tyre now, if they didn't weigh a tonne I'd run em. Matching contact points and all.

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
Current trend is still folding dth for everything. I think the biggest issue people had with the mac line was punctures to cost. Maybe they've changed the formula but used to see huge splits in them.
Anything would beat out a table top for grip tho. I'm not super light but unless i run my table tops around 50psi or less i can't get any grip whatsoever. I've slid out more times on those pos than i ever have with the power block. The worst part of running 24s is there's about 2 tire choices, best part is power blocks is one of them.
The Cult×Vans tyre looks ok but no serious rider is going to use that boat anchor.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Current trend is still folding dth for everything. I think the biggest issue people had with the mac line was punctures to cost. Maybe they've changed the formula but used to see huge splits in them.
Anything would beat out a table top for grip tho. I'm not super light but unless i run my table tops around 50psi or less i can't get any grip whatsoever. I've slid out more times on those pos than i ever have with the power block. The worst part of running 24s is there's about 2 tire choices, best part is power blocks is one of them.
The Cult×Vans tyre looks ok but no serious rider is going to use that boat anchor.
Have you tried the 24 Crazy Bob? I ran the 26 for a few years and loved them, mainly because of the screeeeeeeeech they make when you skid. I stopped using them because of the weight.

I've used the table top on street and dirt and been plenty happy.

Worst tyre I've ever used for grip was a Kenda krad. Sooooooooooo much slip.

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
Have you tried the 24 Crazy Bob? I ran the 26 for a few years and loved them, mainly because of the screeeeeeeeech they make when you skid. I stopped using them because of the weight.

I've used the table top on street and dirt and been plenty happy.

Worst tyre I've ever used for grip was a Kenda krad. Sooooooooooo much slip.
I think 500g tyres are borderline heavy? Friend of mine has them tho. Hard to judge... he rides a hard tail dh bike as a dj...
Universal hate: k rad and holy roller

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I think 500g tyres are borderline heavy? Friend of mine has them tho. Hard to judge... he rides a hard tail dh bike as a dj...
Universal hate: k rad and holy roller
I've been running 500-800g tyres for a while now. CRC list the 24 inch crazy bob as 995g.

Ultra Lord

Yeah I was pretty happy with my tabletops. Gripped pretty good on dirt, just wore out quick and not "that" grippy on road. I was going to buy another pair when I saw KHE come up on crc.

I'd love more BMX style treads, stuff that's rounded and made to be pumped up, like max 120psi. Roll for days, no chance of pinch flats, good rounded profiles for a consistent feel. I'd be pretty happy.

Will report back on KHE later, once I've had some rides.

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
I've been running 500-800g tyres for a while now. CRC list the 24 inch crazy bob as 995g.
Yeah mine are like 500g right now.... unless i shred my sidewall being stupid, i wouldn't bother swapping to a fully protected sidewall.

I'd actually be keen to see someone like Dartmoor make a tyre. They've crossed over to the trail size of things but still offer all their dirt/ street stuff - unlike anther "core" brand.

mitch_302

Likes Dirt
IMAG0572_zps2u2knjin.jpg

Bit of potential here for working on some fundamentals me thinks, couple of blocks from my place. Was pushing off the logs practicing fakie this arvo. Any tips on smoothing out the 180 menouvre to get out of fakie?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Yeah mine are like 500g right now.... unless i shred my sidewall being stupid, i wouldn't bother swapping to a fully protected sidewall.

I'd actually be keen to see someone like Dartmoor make a tyre. They've crossed over to the trail size of things but still offer all their dirt/ street stuff - unlike anther "core" brand.
Stay true...

I don't rip up side wall on street tyres very much, but I'm not a traditional Street rider - not much fancy tricks grinds etc...I like hucking.

Ultra Lord

lean back abit, turn the bars the way you want to go (remember it's opposite to how you'd normally turn) and look over you're shoulder. Until you become more used to the feeling it's going to feel pretty goofy. Smoothness comes with time. Also, try going abit faster. It's pretty hard with no momentum. I found it easier learning how by 180ing first, rather then pushing off something.

Had a pretty decent ride today, messed around in the local skate park, rode some dirt jumps, went scouting for a new dj spot (unsuccessful), and rode some street.
Those KHE dirt's are pretty bloody good. Roll very smoothly, grips better on concrete than the schwalbes, and worse in the dirt, which was expected. Very happy so far.

Side note, the info on crc is wrong. The max pressure for the 26" tyres is 85, not 120. That's for 20".

Last edited:

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
If the bars vs turn thing didn't make sense.... turn your bars with your right hand down if you want to turn left. Opposite if you want to turn right. This is usually determined by which foot you ride.

Whatever you do, don't 180 one way and turn back the other way. Big no no.

I've got the fully rigid street bike capable of running pegs, they're just on my bmx currently. Been all kinds of messed up lately.... riding 26 on dirt and my 24 dj at the park... it's crazy

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Thats some fun times. Are you looking for a sneaky close to home in the city space? I live near a large chunk of railway land that is covered in landing and long grass...I've often wondered how a little set of dirt jumps in there would go. There is also a high pressure oil or gas pipe somewhere near by which could be concerning.

Ultra Lord

The spot we checked out was in the middle of nowhere, only accessible by driving. You "could" ride out from sutherland station but it would take you an hr or so. It was nice and secluded, but the soil was crap.

There are some dirt jumps a lot closer to home that I used to run, however they've been taken over a few years ago and expanded on (the rain has degraded them, but they've been busy and there's two fresh hits that look schmick). I'm yet to meet the builders so don't want to make a habit of riding them or changing anything. My local is sutherland, so I don't think that counts as city. Might have to go south, find a nice spot around Heathcote, waterfall or something. Just trying to get them away from walkers/angry old fuckers who'll hit council up to get them knocked down.

It was a pretty fun day. Also checked out Cronulla skate park, that place looks mint. Planning to get there early next weekend before the scooter brigade rolls in. Very packed yesterday afternoon.

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Just trying to get them away from walkers/angry old fuckers who'll hit council up to get them knocked down.
Fucking do gooders...they are a pain in the rectum. I can't get my head around the I don't like/understand it so I must destroy in mentality. Is it time to start.tearing down bingo halls?

Ultra Lord

I know the office that has the leader of the local bush walkers association that has been running a smear campaign on local mtbers and the trails at loftus/surrounding bushland. Those arseholes hate everything to do with bikes. I'd say burn that place but its above a bike shop ironically *shrugs*

Funnily enough RNP don't mind loftus because it's contained to a small area and their happy to have people enjoying the bush. There was an article in the local newspaper about some wooden bridges a guy built out ofbhis back door straight onto some mtb trails, that just shit on hooligan mtbers and dirt bike riders. Best part was they blamed moto guys hahaha. The facebook comments got pretty ruthless towards the fun police.

I reckon it's people being bored, need something to complaign about. Lifes to comfortable now and nothings really that bad, so lets pick on cyclists.